[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone taken the Games Workshop art test? What does it consist of?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (428 KB, 1741x1006) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
428 KB, 1741x1006
Has anyone taken the Games Workshop art test? What does it consist of?
>>
photobashing and making everything shiny
>>
>>2338979
this is a legit question, I'm also interested in the answers.
>>
>>2338979
Bamp
>>
That looks like absolute garbage.
>>
>>2338979
http://jobs.games-workshop.com/2014/10/10/freelance-artists-home-based/

You'll get the brief by email from them. But if you google around you can find dozens of failed attempts and a couple successful ones. Looking through them it should be pretty obvious what the test consists of.
>>
god damn that image is buttfucking ugly !
>>
>>2339304
I've seen worse.
>>
Just submitted mine today. Probably in a week or two I'll hear back about failing.
>>
>>2339824
With that attitude you deserve to fail every time.
>>
>>2339843
Good thing they don't grade it based on attitude
>>
File: Eldar Warhost.jpg (1 MB, 1318x1826) Image search: [Google]
Eldar Warhost.jpg
1 MB, 1318x1826
Wife is taking up the challenge sometime this week. I just found out about the writing section. She knows shite all about warhammer, but I'm her 'consultant'.

Asked her which race she likes. Of course she said Eldar. Considering that the challenge looks like it consists of an Ork vs. an Ultramarine...well, I love her anyway.
>>
File: Pearl Miller.jpg (801 KB, 915x2000) Image search: [Google]
Pearl Miller.jpg
801 KB, 915x2000
>>2340227
This is something I asked her to do recently. Can I get her some feedback? The lines are MUCH cleaner, but I have a shite scanner atm.
>>
>>2338979
holy shit what a piece of shit that is. i guess maybe it works shrunk down
>>
>>2340230
That's pretty bad desu. The pose is stiff, the line quality is all over the place and the anatomy is need to be worked on. I would recommend that she work on gesture drawing
>>
>>2338979
so, anybody can post the briefing? i don't really feel like sending my lame portfolio to a real company yet, but i'd love doing this as a practice

also, where can you find some succesful tests, so you can judge yourself how far you're?
>>
File: 1CO.jpg (56 KB, 470x302) Image search: [Google]
1CO.jpg
56 KB, 470x302
>>2340808
This dude has potential
The way he paints is very nice.

But I can see why he failed:
Terrible posing
The spehz marehin isn't angry enough
The ork doesn't look menacing enough...Eyes are soulless, generic "mouth open, me angry"
No value statement
Environment sucks ass

If this person was to do it again, but maybe created better positioning of his figures/expressions, and overall mood, it would be a more successful piece.
>>
>>2340853
I was curious and dug into the guy's dA, and some of the comments mentioned that the space marine is off model in terms of proportions, and is apparently using a two handed gun meant to deal with larger, heavily armored enemies(?). Seems like you have to really delve into the lore, and not just glance at some model sheets to get some aspects correct.
>>
>>2340866
I don't know about the gun, but the armor does look fairly light compared to how tanky a space marine is supposed to be, compared to OP image for ex. it's about half the width on the limbs
>>
>>2340866

I think they're nitpicking, though GW is known for being pretty protective of their IP.
The gun might be a melta, which is kind of like a shotgun on steriods that's generally used to punch holes in vehicles, but eh. As for proportions, it seems space mariney enough to me, though some do get pretty retarded. Like pic related just looks stupid, /tg/ loves doing proportion redlines to showcase how messed up their bodies would need to be for certain pieces.
>>
>>2340866
A space marine would definitely be able to shoot a meltagun one handed.
>>
File: Fortheemperor.jpg (236 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
Fortheemperor.jpg
236 KB, 1024x640
>>2340903
I do agree that the marine on the right does look better visually and aesthetically...but it really doesn't embody what a Space Marine really is.

The marine on the right doesn't look like a 15 ft, 2ton monster who's ready to rip off my face in the name of the emperor. He doesn't look like the walking behemoth they're supposed to represent.
>>
File: whsov.jpg (103 KB, 599x338) Image search: [Google]
whsov.jpg
103 KB, 599x338
>>2340903
> GW is known for being pretty protective of their IP
>exept when giving it away for shitty steam games
pic related
>vermintide is cool though
>>
>>2340959

You're right, I suppose. They've been a lot more lax about it lately with all the shitty games. That said, having never played the shitty 40k games, do they fuck up the lore / aesthetic at all or are they just bad games?
>>
>>2340963
no idea about the lore but they are just bad games, looks like shit, plays like shit. at best its an armorgames/newground flash game at worst is just a cashgrab shitty mobilegame
>>
>>2338979
What i remember from the last fucktrillion threads about this is you have to do an orc and spacemarine fighting, with it composed so you can see most of the front/figure of both
>>
Is there a specific style or media that they prefer? Do they want all digital work or could I submit a pencil or charcoal piece?
>>
>>2339676
yeah like every day when you look in the mirror
>>
>>2340866
>>2340873
>>2340903
It is a combi-bolter gravgun. It's fine, nothing wrong with it, but it should be 2 handed
>>
>>2340963
They don't fuck up the lore because all the lore they have in them is the skins.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.