[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of my biggest growing fears as an artist is keeping my arms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: CTS.jpg (90 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
CTS.jpg
90 KB, 400x320
One of my biggest growing fears as an artist is keeping my arms in safe and working order..

Do you guys use arm braces at all? Do you do stretches?
>>
I do stretches. There's a link on one of the threads that points to good stretches to protect from carpal tunnel.

I forget to do it super regularly when I'm in the zone but I've made a habit of stretching when I'm bored or thinking about where to take something.
>>
I fap regularly.
>>
>>2338589

just be careful and realize its not the end of the world if you do lose a hand. I had a step uncle who was a surgeon in the 80s who ended up committing suicide after losing a hand in a boating accident.
>>
File: stretch.jpg (548 KB, 657x2835) Image search: [Google]
stretch.jpg
548 KB, 657x2835
I made this a while ago to help me remember the importance of taking care of my hands. If you get carpal tunnel it's all over famtaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amzp7W0RkPA
>>
>>2338603
should I buy an arm/hand brace? Almost all of my hobbies use my hands a lot (music,drawing,vidya, etc)

>>2338599
It's not the end of the world, but I think it's literally the worst thing that could happen to me (barring obviously more catastrophic shit like being paralyzed neck down)
>>
File: le sad seal feel.jpg (22 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
le sad seal feel.jpg
22 KB, 410x410
>>2338599
>its not the end of the world

This is true. It isn't over 'til it's over-we all get there eventually; no need to rush that in most any circumstance. I'm sure he was very despondent about not being able to practice that sort of medicine anymore despite the years he'd spent studying and practicing though-I understand how someone can get tunnel vision in situations like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slldMEPvUqA
>>
How long until they just cure this shit?

I'd imagine it's becoming more medically relevant with the abundance of people with office jobs and shit.
>>
File: impresionante-pintor.jpg (70 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
impresionante-pintor.jpg
70 KB, 500x664
No prob.
>>
File: le hospital orangutan face.jpg (25 KB, 579x329) Image search: [Google]
le hospital orangutan face.jpg
25 KB, 579x329
>>2338611
>a brace

I really I don't know, but I do think it would be wise to investigate these kinds of things. I've seen what carpal tunnel does and it isn't pretty. There's also a matter of unpredictable conditions like arthritis to worry about.

http://www.imakproducts.com/product.php?s=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSkKow5Tmkc
>>
My thumb feels like it got electrocuted when I touch anything after drawing for a while. Is this normal?
>>
>>2338644
Well what do you think? It ain't good if it hurts
>>
>>2338646
I have no idea, that's why I asked if anyone else gets this.
>>
>>2338654
that doesnt sound normal tho, see a doctor about it. Feeling electrocution is a pretty good reason to visit the doc
>>
File: weoMUkW.gif (77 KB, 476x688) Image search: [Google]
weoMUkW.gif
77 KB, 476x688
Just take a break from drawing every hour or so. Make yourself some coffee or take a smoke. Just letting your hands relax helps a lot.

When it comes to stretches: pic related usually helps
>>
I got carpal tunnel on both hands. Mainly my right though.

Braces at night are a dream. No pun intended. Prevents you from curling your hand inwards.

Chiropractic is good for a while. It rapidly helps if its pretty insane.

Physical therapy helps with the scar tissue. Introduced me some stretches.

Its important to stretch your wrists, forarms, bicep, shoulders, and neck. Especially neck and wrists.

Scar tissue is a big player in wrist/finger pain

I've been planning on getting a deep tissue massage, too.

The key is to stop working if it starts to hurt. No matter what.
>>
>>2338668
>grip strengthening
I knew this oppai mousepad would come in handy.
>>
I'm not so worried about it. If something ever happens to my hands, I'm planning on going on a journey to the tibet to find a solution for it in the realms of magic and supreme sorcery.
>>
File: couldbeworse.gif (996 KB, 369x655) Image search: [Google]
couldbeworse.gif
996 KB, 369x655
Don't worry so much.
>>
>>2338720
That is actually really cool.
Useful reference for a cyborg hand thing.
>>
>>2338720
Why is it like that? It's perfectly circular. How does that even happen?
>>
I developed a ganglion cyst once, where my middle finger connects to my palm. So, under that first knuckle. I was binge playing two games at the time that required holding down the right mouse button a lot. That's what did it.

Cyst went away after a couple weeks but that area still feels a bit strange fairly often. I started paying a whole lot more attention to my hands after that. I hardly ever play games anymore, and certainly not for more than an hour or so. And I make sure to take breaks regularly when drawing. I've contemplated giving up guitar or at least not playing metal stuff that requires constant tremolo picking anymore. But I don't think I can.

I also managed to screw up something in my leg a couple years ago. That never went back to feeling normal either. Probably should have gone to the doctor for that one. I don't think I had health insurance at the time.
>>
>>2338918
there are stuff like knifes and shit
>>
>>2338603
if you sit like this you will destroy your back
lean back at an angle for proper posture
>>
>>2338644
Is it the entire thumb? If not, can you describe which parts?
>>
>>2338589

Carpal Tunnel normally isn't too severe. Most of the time doctors will simply prescribe rest and the use of a hand brace for a short period of time. For career artists, I can see that shit sucking a lot but I don't think it's a huge changer.
>>
>>2338644

Could be carpal tunnel. Does the pain radiate at all? Have you lost any sensation? It's worth it to go see a doctor because this is not normal.
>>
take a break every two hours.
Lift daily.
Stretch twice a day.
>>
>>2341397
lol
>>
>>2338603
that's not proper back posture. lean back a little bit so you place less stress on the back.
also just take a 5 min break every 15-30 mins or so. stand up and walk around, get something to drink or idk.
>>
>>2341547
You feel that little strain on your lower back when you "lean back a little bit"? That's your spine and muscles struggling to sustain your body's ill-conceived fight against gravity.Yeah, you don't feel that when you sit straight up like you're supposed to.
>>
>>2341564
nigger, you lean back against the back, which supports your back
>>
>>2338603
>denise milani as the example pic
lmaooo
>>
I screwed up my shoulder and neck drawing, with pain radiating down to my fingers, so not carpal tunnel. What to do? Physical therapy helped, but it's still there, and I don't know what caused it (as in posture or what). Anyone else familiar with this?
>>
>>2341582
She's probably developed killer back muscles to support that rack. Don't even have to do deadlifts - just lean forward.
>>
>>2338668
Thanks anon! This one worked pretty well!
>>
Has anyone here taught themself to draw with their nondominsnt hand? My right wrist gets strained pretty easily, sometimes after using it too much I'll feel a sort of tingley burning in the median nerve when I use the wrist, which requires a long break even with stretches but it's annoying if you still want to draw. So I'm planning on improving my left hand's abilities as a backup in case the stretches stop working some day. I imagine it's mosty practice, but I'm interested in hearing any tips, or just others' experiences for motivation/advice.
>>
>>2341599
it migh be a disc problem in your neck pressing on a nerve. If you get a pain like youve been shot in the arm, get an mri scan quickly.

Also go and see an osteo/chiro. a bukgin disc is a pain. but a ruptured one is 8 weeks of howling crying disabling agony that even benzos wont help with

WHich brings me to my main point

Look after your neck and watch your posture. i still have numbness in my hand and index finger from a ruptured disc in my neck. Before i found out what the problem was i thought i was going to have to literally kill myself to escape from it

It was predominantly caused by genetics and shit posture ie hanging my head over books/drawing/laptops ect. if you stay up all night ignoring neck/back pains, that shit will fuck you on your way to thirty.

its heavily impacted my enjoyment of creating art.
I cant even paint miniatures to relax
>>
>>2338668
>just take a break to do these other things that will fuck up your line quality

flawless
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.