[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bargue Drawing Course
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 81J7bcHRruL.jpg (455 KB, 1566x1735) Image search: [Google]
81J7bcHRruL.jpg
455 KB, 1566x1735
I'm a beginner and I want to go through this book (I've tried loomis but his stuff jumps around a bit too much for me). Just wondering what ic thinks of it?

My main fear is that book will only teach me to copy drawings rather than being able to create from imagination. It also seems to focus more on shape rather than form, which (for drawing from imagination) is another red flag.

Anyone here read/worked through/knows about this book?
>>
Bargue is a little too advanced for a beginner
Get "jack hamm drawing the head and figure"
And "atlas of human anatomy for artists" as reference and your good to go.
>>
>>2337755
Your criticisms of the Bargue course are right. It's good for teaching 2d observation and value grouping/value transitions.

If your goal is to draw from your head it would be better to learn a more construction-based approach. Someone like Vilppu or Hampton would be a better place to start.
>>
>>2337768
Jack Hamm is like Loomis but objectively worse.
>>
>>2337792
So...go with Bargue or something else?
>>2337772
Shit, this is exactly what I was afraid of. It looked really promising too.
>>
>>2338089
You do realize you don't have to do exclusively one thing or another. You can study both Bargue and Vilppu. They will teach you different things and strengthen your work overall.
>>
>>2338092
That's what I'm doing right now actually. I was just wondering if it would have been redundant that's all (i.e whether Bargue covers everything in Vilppu). Since they don't I guess I'll just do both. Can't hurt right?
>>
>>2338109
No, they cover entirely different things. There will be pretty much zero redundancy.
>>
>>2337792
Loomis is a fucking meme and a failure as a teacher, that's why his books stopped being printed. Jack Hamm is Loomis without all the esoteric bullshit that keeps people on /ic/ from progressing.

"Drawing the head and figure" is a barebones portraiture manual for easy and competent construction you can master in a week and then move into Vilppu and Hampton for advanced construction and gesture. That's why these books are in universities and Loomis is not.
>>
>>2338576

Tons of people in universities still study from Loomis you dolt.
>>
>>2338576
You know what? I'll give Hamm a shot too. Loomemes didn't do much for me, and I'm looking through "Drawing the Head and Figure" and the artwork is similar but maybe the approach is a little more focused and a little less jumpy.

I just hope I don't end up learning anything because I spread myself too thin.
>>
>>2339844
learning
>>
>>2339845
not learning* Jesus I need some sleep
>>
>>2337755
>My main fear is that book will only teach me to copy drawings rather than being able to create from imagination

That's the whole point of the Bargue course, it teaches you to copy and draw what you see, but if you want to draw from imagination then look elsewhere
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.