[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it the best artbook ever made, /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Draw-Like-A-Boss-2.jpg (63 KB, 535x300) Image search: [Google]
Draw-Like-A-Boss-2.jpg
63 KB, 535x300
Is it the best artbook ever made, /ic/?
>>
Not trying to be contrarian for the sake of it but it was one of the worst how to draw books I've come across, it's so full of fluff it's even worst than drawing on the right side of the brain.
>>
File: bestbook.jpg (52 KB, 298x475) Image search: [Google]
bestbook.jpg
52 KB, 298x475
Best book coming through.

>>2337631
Gave its kickstarter a peep. Looks like a cringeworthy rpg-esque interpretation of learning how to draw.
>>
>>2337656
>The Art Spirit
Mah nigga
>>
>>2337651
What's wrong with it? Looks pretty cool from the look of it.
>>
>>2337656
>>2337659

where to steal?
>>
>>2337666
He just said what was wrong with it dude.
>>
>>2337679
Check the links in the bookthread. It might be in there.
>>
>>2337666
It's the kind of book for those people who can't get themselves to draw without huge hand holding, recognition for every step and external motivators, to the point it becomes off putting because all that comes off as condescending
>>
>>2337690
it is, but its in epub which i can not open :/
>>
>>2337631
not really, it's for beginners. plus it's easy read and fun if you don't take it *too* seriously. plus it'll work if you apply what you learned from it but remember to learn MORE by practicing and reading more shit than just one book.

The Art Spirit by Robert Henri is fuckin good.

Also- Art and Fear by David Bayles is good too

>>2337692
get a epub or calibre program bro
>>
>>2337631
I can upload it..
Its one of the most useless books you could get your hands on. Its attempting to be something special pandering to people with fancy tumblr cringe and ridiculous analogies throughout the book. Once you browse it quickly, you'll realize its just a big stretched nothing. Has some useful information for total beginners, but then again which book with 400 pages wouldn't? Can't really recommend this garbage.
>>
"Drawing is at first problem solving and an exercise in the abstract. The shift-
ing Rorschach blot kaleidoscope of the visual world is a very difficult thing to
pin down and so, we need to get back to basics and reduce what we see into a
simple account so that we are in a better position to measure it more accurately
because everything is moving, waves and particles are all in constant flux; as
we have seen even our vision bounces around in order to refresh itself. Through
drawing we become focused on a part of the visual world which flies in the face
of our normal mode which ignores the subtlety of the world in favour of a more
practical mind-set linked to meaning and survival.
A drawing is born from abstraction. By utilising the symbol of the line, we can
construct our artistic vision in a manageable, mechanical yet organic fashion.
Under abstraction, everything is adapted to help us. Line is reduced in complexity, two dimensions take the place of the
third, and value (tones, the shading in bit) is adapted to equally simple terms of light and shadow. But we’re getting
ahead of ourselves by even mentioning the word ‘value’.
>>
Extrovert and Introvert Image
What you must realise with drawing is that while you’re doing it there are
two things going on. The first is that the lines and shapes that we put there
speak in the symbolic language that is representation and carries with it a
particular meaning. But aside from this is another thing which is the ab-
stract quality, an independent wavelength of communication that derives its
power from design and pattern; it strives to communicate a universal order ,
a pleasing arrangement. What is commonly known as composition.
This is the deeper, covert quality and also what makes something Art and
not merely replicating what is there in front of you. It is the abstract arrangement of shapes and tones that form a beau-
tiful arabesque that any overt message or meaning rests on top of. The abstract nature of drawing could be said to be
more important and something that the apparent meaning of the picture should be subordinate to. This is because the
arrangement of lines moves the eye around in a rhythm set by the artist. So not only does the abstract help us to build
our drawing it is also is the first point of call for considering design because things should be in the picture to serve a
purpose compositional aim.
Anything that does not serve the purpose of the picture should either be ignored or changed to fit to promote your mes-
sage. This is a skill that will come in time, as your sensitivity builds you will become more adept at seeing things that
ought to be different and this simply comes as a feeling that something is wrong or amiss.

>this is what the whole book is
>>
I skimmed through the first hundred of so pages and it's total shit. Didn't find a single useful exercise from what I read.
>>
I did the first exercise where you just draw something as a benchmark but then after that I had to keep skipping ahead because it felt like there was only fluff and no real content. I was expecting so much more.
>>
Is it Zelda-themed?
>>
I can't see Jack Hamm's name on that book.
>>
>>2338037
Exactly this. I'm something like 150 pages in and I'm quite disappointed, it could've been so much better. I still plan on finishing it for the sake of it though.

>>2338040
Not exactly but his artstyle is quite influenced by Zelda indeed.
>>
>>2338112

wow, alright... the cover just screams zelda to me, what with the boss key design, triforce and even the fucking font.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.