[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Krita? How good is it? Is it worth using or is one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: user-interface.png (108 KB, 662x470) Image search: [Google]
user-interface.png
108 KB, 662x470
Thoughts on Krita? How good is it? Is it worth using or is one better off using SAI and/or PS?
>>
Use it only if you don't have PS, SAI or Clip Studio Paint.

It's pretty much a poor's man Photoshop and got nothing special whatsoever.
>>
>>2336125
it doesnt support tilt ty but not ty krita marketeer
>>
>>2336125
I'm pretty sure that photoshop you dip.
>>
>>2336173
that's krita, shows how much you know about the subject

>>2336142
it does, I remember I plenty of times tilted my canvas a little without wanting or knowing how to undo it, shit so annoying
>>
>>2336142
krita does support pen tilt
>>
>>2336189
nobody on /ic/ can utilize the pen tilt feature anyway
>>
I love it a lot, so many good brushes/pens and the animation feature is great and simple. Not to mention its free
>>
It's okay. I like the animation stuff but I would wish for native video format export.
>>
Program lags as hell, though I have top pc and plenty ram
>>
>>2336327
When's the last time you used it? There was an update a few months back that fixed everything on my end.
>>
>>2336125
Pretty good considering it's free. Especially after the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm somewhat bummed out that the developers are strictly focusing their attention on developing animation tools. But it was part of their kickstarter so I can't complain. Hopefully they'll wrap it up soon and come back to polishing what they've already got.

>>2336327
Is OpenGL enabled? It's a checkbox under Settings > Configure Krita > Display.
>>
not op but does anybody has any thoughts in medibang pro? saw a few guys on youtube use it
>>
>>2336173
>post on /ic/
>has never used PS
>>
>>2336125
>laggy
>changing keybinds is nearly impossible, and utterly confusing
>only way to get the brush setting manager is too open it from the top bar, you can't dock it to always show.
>preset brushes are awful
>brush controls are confusing
>it will cap your brushsize when using the inc/dec brushsize keys at 201px for whatever reason, which is incredibly annoying when you're working with huge canvases
>tutorials on the website are shit, with shit artists
Photoshop still miles ahead.
>>
>>2336194
krita sucks anyway
>>
>>2336125
are you using Linux?
do you care about free as in freedom software?

only use Krita if you answered yes to both questions, you can always torrent Photoshop, or buy CSP or SAI otherwise, they're better products.
>>
>>2336346
Medibang Pro is the 'spiritual' successor to FireAlpaca, so it's like a free branch of OpenCanvas, albeit limited in some aspects. It's alright, it's sitting somewhere inbetween FireAlpaca and Manga Studio in features, is lightweight and it's got a free cloud service.
For 'serious' desktop stuff it's a little too limited for me, but the android app is solid.
>>
>>2336450
Speaking of Medibang and OpenCanvas, what is with this trend of watering down the watercolor tool from 3 to 2 parameters (from load/dilution/persistence to load/dilution alone) in some of these Japanese programs lately? What's the point?
>>
>>2336450
thanks! im thinking on using it once i get a tablet because im to poor for photoshop
>>
>>2336418
>using keys to change brush size
shiggidy
>>
>>2336440
this, really
>>
Nowhere near as fully featured as many others but for illustration only it's really great, I started here than moved to others but this is still my preferred program if I'm just wipping up a quick sketch or painting.
Also the freedom stuff is great, I've never tried it on windows but on both Debian and Arch it works great, I just use PS if I'm on windows.
>>
I swap between krita, ps cc and manga studio 5
they all basically function the same when you have consistent brushes between them
most people in this thread are clueless
>>
>>2336575
This. Krita is a fantastic program, most of the people ITT likely haven't used it or didn't even spend two minutes to find out how it works. They've just come in here to shit in OP's cornflakes and act like fukken contrarian fagguts.
>>
>>2336575
What would you say Krita does well or better compared to the others though? What's your reasons for using it?
>>
>>2336577
>>2336578
Same question to you.
>>
what about pen stabilize?
>>
It's doesn't support mouse mode.
>>
>>2336782
There is a weighted smoothing and stabilizer setting for the brush, not sure how good it is compared to the competition since I don't do lineart. It seems decent but is fairly basic compared to something like Lazy Nezumi Pro on PS.
>>
File: 1425660314660.png (496 KB, 483x710) Image search: [Google]
1425660314660.png
496 KB, 483x710
Meanwhile:
What does /ic/ think about Corel Painter?
>>
>>2336142
Do any cheap-ish tablets have tilt by now?
>>
i have limited use with it but so far i like it. the default shortcuts are more intuitive than photoshops and the paint mixing seems more 'logical'
>>
>>2336173

https://jp.krita.org/features/highlights/
>>
>>2336125
>photoshop clone
>>
File: pencil tilt.jpg (19 KB, 596x365) Image search: [Google]
pencil tilt.jpg
19 KB, 596x365
>>2336142

Krita has tilt, you are wrong
>>
>>2336855
get a wacom 3 used or even new at fleabay for less than $100
>>
>>2337072
>Except doesnt kill your computer

Has anyone tried the animation? How good/dynamic are the functions?
>>
>>2336125
best tool for sketching along with mypaint, I've pretty much dropped using photoshop now since it has all the features I use from free transform to selection gradients and layer masks.

tilt support is good but I only use it to rotate brush stencil
>>
>>2336808
Lazy nezumi works with Krita too.
>>
>>2336125

I don't know what it is about Krita, but every time I have given it a chance I had always felt it was clunkier and more convoluted than either Photoshop or SAI.
>>
Krita is basically the best option I've found, but it isn't without its issues.

Cons:
Hotkeys are a bit of a mess (split into two places, some functions aren't changeable)
Performance seems shoddy on windows (but fine on Linux)
Transform tools can be a bit obnoxious (no simple four-corner deform, although there is a clever perspective deform)
Lacks some really high end features regarding layers and filters

Pros:
It has a stabilizer that rivals Sai
Some great perspective drawing utilities
Really nice brush engine (Lacks a pixelated brush though if that's important to you)
Free, open source, in active development

On a personal level the main things that bug me about Krita are interface issues regarding hotkeys and how easy some tools are to use (I wish temporary constrained rulers were less clunky to place down and use, and some hotkeys for switching brushes and scaling things like opacity or softness would be great) and there are some minor features that would be nice (zoom-independent brush sizing, generally smoother performance on windows) but besides those, it really is kind of the best you're going to get for any kind of serious work unless you're really, REALLY keen on photoshop.
>>
>>2337309
>Free, open source, in active development
That's not a pro you tard. That's like saying a pro of using Photoshop is that its made by Adobe
>>
>>2340956
not that guy but you're a dipshit. something being free and open source is beneficial for obvious reasons, the fact that it's still in active development means that it isn't abandonware like sai and is therefore also a pro

fucking retard
>>
>>2340956
exactly beacause i use pirate photoshop.
>>
>>2336125
David?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.