[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/IC/ lets discuss What is your opinion on art as a career ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: 01.jpg (342 KB, 1100x732) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
342 KB, 1100x732
/IC/ lets discuss

What is your opinion on art as a career ?
>>
If you can get away with it, good for you. There are plenty of professional artists, their work is useful to the people paying them, and they make a living.

I think banking on it is an unwise decision though. It's not a basket you should put all your eggs in.
>>
Its ok.
It pays the bills but I have to do lots of work that I don't like and I have to break my style but its how to make money
>>
>>2333114
Post your work
>>
>>2333083
imagine if they were copics

>run around
>reach out a hand to grab as much of them as possible
>continue running
>be a millionare
>>
>>2333143
>5$ per marker
Are artists really that poor?
>>
what do you guys think is a good and decently paid profession for an artistic person?
>>
File: 1431800031727.jpg (1008 KB, 3119x4479) Image search: [Google]
1431800031727.jpg
1008 KB, 3119x4479
>>2333149
Yes we are
>>
>>2333083
>All those sharpies

This guy is my nigga.
>>
>>2333083
This that happened when you boy a fucking markers instead tablet.
>>
>>2333150
Shift lead at your nearest retail store.
>>
File: 1434501079864.jpg (20 KB, 222x280) Image search: [Google]
1434501079864.jpg
20 KB, 222x280
>>2333083
>covered in tattoos
>wah i'm starving
>>
>>2333235
sounds good
>>
>>2333083
>Fucked perspective
>all those markers
Well He deserve it
>>
>>2333083
I would give everything away if that meant becoming good.
too bad i own only a unlimited supply of procrastination
>>
>>2333083
if it can pay the bills that's okay.
You should consider applying in advertising just to get sure fire way to get paid while doing studies on the side
>>
>>2333256
>coming to real life contact with your commissioners
>>
In my country, I could live of comissions if my comissions are in dollar. I can dream.
>>
>>2333339
furshit pays in dollars
>>
>>2333340
Alright, you got me. How I enter in the furry world and take comissions? I don't even know what site furries use.
>>
>>2333342
4chan
>>
hes clearly a crackhead first, Artist second.
>>
>>2333342
Furaffinity. Godspeed shitskin.
>>
>>2333360
>Godspeed shitskin.
What do you mean?
>>
It's just another profession, but you have to treat it as one if you actually want to pay your bills. Promoting yourself, getting in touch with clients, staying on top of client requests,delivering in time without missing deadlines, sending invoices,following up on those invoices, delivering quality work, etc.

To the people that think of the lazy artist that sleeps all day and accomplished nothing, paints when they feel like it - yeah, those people will likely end up behind a retail counter to make ends meet. If you don't just passionately make work for yourself or you suck at being professional, don't waste your time or learn how to fix your problems.
>>
>>2333083
Newer !

You hear me phagot? Newer do it.
>>
File: 1442535741054.png (214 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
1442535741054.png
214 KB, 360x450
>>2333362
>What do you mean?
Pic related.
>>
File: 1448617412226.jpg (322 KB, 1300x1053) Image search: [Google]
1448617412226.jpg
322 KB, 1300x1053
>>2333941
Nope
>>
>>2333952
Why?
>>
>>2333288
what would advertising people want to see in your portfolio?
>>
>>2333083
its more about networking that skill, whore yourself out get known by other artist and you will land in a spot BUUUTT this is the mindset made to make money, now happiness? sorry kiddo everyone wants to see dragons and space Marines over your own characters and stories so you better conform.
>>
>>2333149
>full set
>1200 $ + you will need to buy some refills
>>
I'm gonna at least try. Nothing I enjoy doing is profitable, any skill I have that I could make a job out of is risky. Worst case scenario, I just off myself because I live a pretty typical middle-class white guy lifestyle already and basically just find living to be tedious.

Or, I dunno, I could try joining the army. I haven't tried killing anyone yet, might be cool.
>>
File: 240115_104022_33732_2.jpg (66 KB, 880x558) Image search: [Google]
240115_104022_33732_2.jpg
66 KB, 880x558
>>2337155
Yes, might be cool.
>>
>>2337203
There must be some kind of appeal if that guy's doing it.
>>
Does anyone here have any advice on scientific/zoological illustration as a career? I have a passion for biology and art and would love to tap into the UK market for this stuff.
>>
>>2337205
he has something he is willing to die for.
>>
I went to one of the big three art schools. I made minimum wage as a freelance artist, when I actually had clients. It was under min wage if counting the time I spent on interacting with and finding clients, edits, commute, upkeeping social media, accounting, advertising, attending industry events, and running a business.

I now work min wage retail and feel so much less stressed. I have set hours and nothing extra to do outside of those hours. No sleepless deadlines, no worry of not being paid on time or at all. But it's a dead end. I don't make enough to live off of and no prospect of advancement.

Was I not skilled enough as an artist, or was I bad at networking? Or too slow to make more than min wage per hour? I wish I knew what to do now. I'm too old to go back to school and be of hiring age for something new, and art is still my meaning in life.
>>
>>2337239
Similarly, I'm not particularly attached to living.
I guess getting beheaded isn't exactly a nice way to make an exit, though, if that's what you were getting at.
>>
Have a backup plan
>>
>>2337215
yes, there still is a market for scientific illustartion, but its such a niche thing, you pretty much need to know the people that are already doing it, so they can eventully sling you some of the jobs from time to time, and eventually let you replace them once they dont feel like doing it anymore / they die.
So you cant have it as your only osurce of income right now, but you could totally do it on the side quite easily.
I know an old lady that does scientific watercolour illustrations of plants, and once shes gone, who knows who will replace her, if anybody.
But for the most part, the market is saturated, so you just have to wait for an opening, but there isnt much of competition once there is an opened spot.
>>
>>2337265
You were probably lacking
- Discipline
- A proper schedule
You were probably also
- Pricing your services far lower than what your work was worth
- Only catering to a small, specific market

What sort of things were you doing as a freelance artist?
What sort of clients were you catering to?
Did you ever get any help with running the business?

I don't think it had anything to do with whether you were skilled as an artist, or whether or not you had bad networking.

I think the problem was likely that you were just scheduling far too much of your day towards trying to succeed as a business person instead.
If you want to succeed at art, get someone else to do the business side of things for you. There are people that exist who are purely paid money to manage the exact things you described were taking up your time.

To succeed at something that takes time, you need to devote time to it.
If you're already devoting time to other things, change your routine. Discipline yourself into a new routine, stick to it, and then network yourself appropriately.
Once business picks up, don't try to take it all on yourself. If a business is busy, pay someone to make it feel less stressful for those who are creating the content that is catering to the demand....aka you, the artist.
>>
>>2333083
A lot of the art conversation here is towards graphic design and video game art. Ask a careers officer.

As for 'fine art' , I wouldn't recommend it. So far I've come across people that work for nothing, a lot of blustering con-men and quite a well guarded and spiteful art scene.

An artist that has to contend with this can expect to die young poor and unhappy.

It's sad because there are so many other possibilities...
>>
>>2337652
>What sort of things were you doing as a freelance artist?
The work I could get was in graphic design and textiles for small companies. I was trained for illustration but couldn't find work in that.

>What sort of clients were you catering to?
I applied for or marketed to publishers, game companies, animation companies, etc.

>Did you ever get any help with running the business?
No. I want help but don't know of options for help aside from illustration agencies, but those usually require having a steady client base already. Are there other options?

I do have a specific market, but I think that market is large. Basically anything geared towards kids- kid's products, stationery, books, apps, games, cartoons.

I had no clients when I tried pricing myself at the beginner's rate according to the Designer's Handbook. I can see that there are people offering the same services at rock-bottom rates, and that there are 1200 people applying to the same freelance job.

You're right, I spent 90% of my time the first couple years after graduation on the business side. I'd love to concentrate on just the art if there was a way. Thanks for your comments above- they're insightful.
>>
>>2333083
It's the only option, I'd be extremely dissatisfied doing anything else. I probably could have made much more money had I pursued a different path, but I'd have had to sacrifice my happiness and sense of purpose to do so.
>>
>>2337675
>As for 'fine art' , I wouldn't recommend it.
>An artist that has to contend with this can expect to die young poor and unhappy.
I disagree. It's a perfectly viable option if you don't suck, though it's not the easiest road. Nothing good comes easy, eh?
>>
bro who graduated from fine arts here.

well. as for practical shit, the art career may useless to most people. sometimes i wish i chose psychology or computer engineering but i ended up following my passion instead and have learned much more than studying arts.

for me, it's worth it. it's about being mindful and being smart (budget and shit) at the same time. it just challenges me to work hard and discipline myself.

it's different for most people but one thing in common with them is to create.
>>
>>2337726
similar experience with the rates. I got good enough for people to email back and contact me via postings, but nobody was biting even though I priced myself at minimum wage. I'm trying to move into other things that still have some sort of creative edge.
>>
>>2337776
>>2337780
What are you two doing presently?
>>
>>2337801
right now? no job yet, I'm calibrating my skills (revisiting basic shit and practicing alot) with my artistic goals.

you could say that academic shit (bullshit "minor" subjects are more important than major subjects in my college) fucked me up so bad that I neglected my wellbeing and my own personal projects so I'm making up for alot of missed time.

when I get my proper workflow, I'll be going as freelance artist while being possibly commercial graphic artist if I get a job this year.
>>
>>2333083
i like my art career. been working as videogame artist past 4 years and last 2015 year was the most good one by obtained money when i got 1500$ (i dont know if this good or bard but for me in europe this was lots of money) for some animation work.
However due to being lonely ass artist that just sits here and draws i became really obsessed with procrastination over past year. I dont know what to do with it. I just wants some friends and things happening in my life except drawing.
>>
>>2337265
post your stuff. i'm super curious right now.
>>
>>2337917
im curious enough to want to ask you some questions about your job (basically one of my dream artist jobs) but yeah, idk if you would bother with answering..
just chill with life. dont be hard on yourself, bro.

>>2333083
forgot to say thanks for creating this thread. interesting answers and something to think about.
>>
I went to a small, in-state liberal arts college. Got a BFA with majors in printmaking and painting (minor in art history).

Right now I make a living selling paintings and ceramics as well as doing mural commissions.

The degree wasn't necessary for what I do but I learned a lot in those 4 years at college that has aided my development as an artist. I'm reasonably poor but I pay my meager bills just fine, and would be miserable at some retail or cubicle job anyway. It takes a while to build a name for yourself, which is essential for a fine artist, so financial stability comes with artistic growth (and better marketing).
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg (200 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg
200 KB, 1000x750
>>2338185
>>
Up
>>
Up2
>>
Its not actually that bad depending on what you're doing with it.
Almost every company needs a few artists, many need a lot more.
Game companies, movies, set designers, commercials, illustrators, are all needing an artist for a finished product.
Despite what people claim art is a very viable way to make a living, it might not be the best paying job in the world but it is more than enough to live comfortably with decent job security assuming you're not shit.

>b-but sell out
its a job you stupid fuck, you do it for the money not because it has some deeper meaning.
>>
>>2337955
I would if I thought I could get advice.

I've been thinking and want to add something. This is anecdotal, but only one of my friends lives off of art after graduating. My school claimed a 90-something percent employment rate. I took their career survey, and unemployed was literally not a selectable option. This is from one of the top schools in the world; I feel it's cheating to get their percentages that way. I'd like to go through my LinkedIn and Facebook to get a better idea of the percentage, but that's not going to help me get a job, so I won't spend time on it.
>>
>>2333235
What im doing atm. Only part time atm but earn at least 400 sheckles which covers my bills and store is always dead so good time to get practice in etc
>>
My opinion is that I see it as very unwise to focus on making art err day arrr day just to try in a saturated market where you don't even need formal education to enter.

I would be terrified of a notion of trying to become illustrator, animator or someone like that.

But I'm total n00b who now learns how to draw ellipses and treats whole thing as a hobby to relax and kill time.
>>
>>2342704
if you don't have a goal in mind to get your art to a professional standard, and market it as such, you are 99.9% not gonna make it
>>
>>2333552
>To the people that think of the lazy artist that sleeps all day and accomplished nothing, paints when they feel like it - yeah, those people will likely end up behind a retail counter to make ends meet. If you don't just passionately make work for yourself or you suck at being professional, don't waste your time or learn how to fix your problems.

I'm pretty much this so I'm in grad school for counsling. I'd rather be a shrink.
>>
>>2342704

You know it's funny because literally every market with the except of software development and computer sciences in the broad sense is saturated to the brim.

And quite frankly art is so different from every other career that I'm starting to feel like it doesn't even matter how saturated the market is. The rules of 'making it' are just so dramatically different from every other career that this alone makes art kind of attractive. It's still absurdly hard to make it past shit-tier poverty living... but you can compare that to law school or med school (multiplied by 4 if you will, as a trade-off for not having to pay tuition!)
>>
>>2333083
I think it could be wonderful, if the person is passionate about it.
>>
mUmp
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.