[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought a set of Prismacolour pencils at the jacked up price
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Shop85.png (491 KB, 550x601) Image search: [Google]
Shop85.png
491 KB, 550x601
I bought a set of Prismacolour pencils at the jacked up price my local art shop sells them for (supporting local businesses, ect) but I've been horribly disappointed. I sort of got swept up in the hype that they were a decent pencil but I find the quality shit.
I'm not sure if it's just because I'm not terribly experienced with colour pencil. I'd like to try Derwent's Polychromos or Carandache's Luminance 6901 but I'm worried that it's just my skill level, that buying new pencils won't be any different.
Should I just try and keep using the prismacolor pencils or are am I not the only person finding that they're shit?
>>
>>2331753
What exactly do you not like about them OP?
>>
Look up some techniques/tutorials, then try them out properly. If you still don't like them, try the other ones. Either way you'll have improved.
>>
>>2331753
Polychromos are better but you can breed amazing results with prismacolor.
>>
Unless you use them along with watercolors, colored pencils are shit, pastels are way better.
>>
>>2331785
>colored pencils are shit
You probably don't know how to use them
>>
>>2331757
They crumble easily, so I'm constantly having to sharpen them. I've never had problems with graphite, so I even googled how to sharpen them correctly but found it didn't help much. I don't have a very hard touch as it is, so it's frustrating when I'm using them so lightly and the core just falls out or crumbles onto the paper.
And then some of the pencils lay down easier than the other. The colours just aren't consistent at all, I was expecting I could get a decent coverage from the set, not just from a few, and having to work more with others.
>>
>>2331852
Yeah quality control has been an increasing issue. For all the money on them tho use them for all their worth but def invest in a small set of polychromos. Beautiful colors, oil based, creamy blending, you can also use mineral spirits to spread pigment around.
>>
check this out, I feel you should watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH0tz1NyvPk
>>
>>2331876
Thanks anon, that totally nailed a lot of my problems and questions. I've looked at my pencils and most of them aren't in the center. I'm completely sold on the Polychromos now, I love the fact it's harder so you can achieve a finer point.
>>
>>2331852
>They crumble easily
KEK get a decent sharpener brosky.

Also either put the pencils out under the sun for a few hours or microwave for 5 to 10 seconds (put a small container of water inside the microwave next to the pencils if you do this) then freeze them for a few hours
>>
>>2331914
It's not the sharpener. I've got several from different decent art brands, including mechanical. The wood is terrible quality and I've tried using a heat lamp to fix the cores, but it hasn't changed a thing.
I've never had a problem sharpening Faber Castell before, their quality seems far superior.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.