[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do artists in Japan have it better than artists in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1450398950841.jpg (418 KB, 1200x1701) Image search: [Google]
1450398950841.jpg
418 KB, 1200x1701
Do artists in Japan have it better than artists in America?
>>
>>2331049
In terms of how they are treated and paid? No.
>>
>>2331049
in terms of having better taste and style? no
>>
>>2331049
I wouldn't know but the use of illustrations in Japan are quite diverse.

Like a sign that warns people of "Under Construction" could have a anime/manga/original character illustration.
Or blood donation drives(like that image).
Even pachinko machines have it.

Illustrations in Japan are used in different products and services. Though I don't know the wage of these artists for these illustrations.
>>
>>2331058
>artists
>talks about shitty consumer tier illustrations
>>
File: socks![1].jpg (143 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
socks![1].jpg
143 KB, 800x600
>>2331049
yeah they got artists producing mascots everywhere on everything
>>
>>2331061
>>2331057
fuck off to >>>/co/ pls, i know it's you faggots that always shitpost anything with anime
>>
>>2331061
OP posted an image clearly made by a Japanese artist.
OP asked about comparison of artist from Japan and Americans.

Of course I'll use those shitty consumer tier illustrations. Are you dumb? These are equivalent to furry commissions on the west. They probably have it also in Japan.
>>
>>2331064
/co/ is worse than anime
>>
>>2331061
look at this pretentious nigger
>>
>>2331061
I think people used to say the same about Sargent and Zorn, since they worked mostly doing commissioned paintings for rich people.

I believe some critics even said they were nothing but mere illustrators.

In the end, I guess most artists are just shitty consumer illustrators anyway, but at least we got some real true artists, like yourself.
>>
>>2331113
but the comissions were to make art, not to make an picture thats supposed to inform you about something
>>
>>2331119
Everything is art. Art is subjective. Stop putting labels and applying tiers to art.
Stop being a pretentious cunt and realize that art is a profession, a job. Grow up and realize already that real life is not easy and being an artist is not glamorous.

This applies to most of you as well, assholes.
>>
>>2331049
probably, they have those conventions where they can make comics based on IPs without the fear of C&D and lawsuits.
>>
>>2331049
Meaning that they are averagely more profecient? yes
meaning they make more money? absolutely not
>>
File: 234534636457.jpg (717 KB, 1159x1515) Image search: [Google]
234534636457.jpg
717 KB, 1159x1515
>>2331119
>but the comissions were to make art, not to make an picture thats supposed to inform you about something

No, the commissions were to paint some portrait of a rich fuck that he could then hang in his living room and inform his friends and acquaintances that he is indeed a rich fuck. There is not the slightest difference in artistic integrity between Sargent painting a portrait of a client, Leyendecker doing some fashion magazine ads or some japanese illustrator drawing an animu girl illustration. The only difference is in the skill level of the individual artist, not the subject matter nor the act of doing commissioned work. What you are saying is practically: "this is art because I like it and this isn't art because I don't like it." which is childish as fuck and shows just how little you actually know about art.
>>
>>2331377
dubs don't lie
>>
>>2331377
/thread
>>
>>2331049
In what way? Schedules for weekly manga artists are fucking brutal, and there's a fucking ton of competition.

At least as far as comics it seems like the market in France is the most lax. Blacksad released five volumes over 14 years, and the pace was sedate enough that Guarnido was doing color studies and shit for specific pages.
>>
File: 543432423423.jpg (120 KB, 595x825) Image search: [Google]
543432423423.jpg
120 KB, 595x825
>>2331377
You're good man.
>>
>>2331735
What am I reading
>>
>>2331377
your post is art because i like it
>>
Some manga artists have only 3 hours of spare time a week. It's pretty brutal.
>>
>>2332423
togashi?
>>
>>2332423
99% of the time spent doing what they love. so brutal
>>
At least they don't have SJWs berating them.
>>
>>2333722
Try doing something you love for 99% of your week and see how easy it is, you retard.
>>
>>2333963
i actually do, but it's not drawing.
>>
>>2331989
If I remember correctly, this is a post about how undercharging American prices are and how he still only does freelancing from Japan because they pay better
>>
>>2334041
Yeah, American companies charge shit prices & then complain about not having big enough budgets. Meanwhile everyone on top at the companies are making $100K & above.
>>
>>2333992
jerking off doesn't count
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.