[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do these type of pens (like faber castell also and even cheaper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
Do these type of pens (like faber castell also and even cheaper sharpie pens or staedtler fineliner I think they are felt tip but idk) degrade pretty quickly for everyone or am I using them wrong?

After a couple hours of use I find that they just don't work as nicely, particularly in that after just a little bit of use you must hold them at a 90 degree angle to get any ink to come out and when it does it just doesn't seem as bold as it was when I first started using it and the ink seems to skip some if you go even slightly fast.

Is this normal or am I not using it right by pressing down too hard? It's kind of frustrating...
>>
>>2329187

I've also used these faber castell pitt artist pens and the same thing seems to happen. Start out awesome but then they just don't seem as good. I really like the effect of using them on the side to vary thickness of line a little but that seems to stop working pretty quickly.
>>
File: vehicles.png (696 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
vehicles.png
696 KB, 800x600
>>2329187
i get good use out of my copic fineliners. seeing as they're all i really use to draw traditionally with anyways. it seems the thinner they are the quicker they go out. so use the thinner ones for fine details so you can save them.
and i use .1 for general lines.

sometimes if you let them sit for a bit they work like they normally do.
>>
>>2329189
>got the 4 PITT set
>only ever used the S and B

good thing i didnt fall for the 8 pack since they didnt even have it
>>
I used a Sakura one for a page of lines and circles for warm up, and by the time I was finished it almost seemed like it was going dry

Haven't touched them since, because I'm afraid of wasting them.
>>
>>2329193

i don't even mind wasting them but I just wish they would work. I've tried not using them for a while because I just get annoyed but that doesn't seem to fix it. With Michael's and Joann Fabric's offering 50% off coupons basically perpetually I can usually get them for pretty cheap which is nice, but a lot of the time I find myself gravitating to the pilot precise v5 and v7, which work consistently but are different kind of pen technology.

>>2329245

those are pretty great and don't have the same problem but I always forget to carefully put the cap on and I bend the brush tip which makes me mad as fuck.

>>2329253

my mom just got me the 4 pen sepia set and they're great but they have started doing the same thing after 3 days of use
>>
You're probably pressing down too hard.
>>
File: spoopy.png (315 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.png
315 KB, 400x533
>>2329290
dont press to hard either, some of them do like to bend lol. mine last me a good while.
>>
>>2329187
smaller the tip the slower you go
>>
>>2329189
Have only ever had that happen when working on rough paper consistently, or pressing down far too much on the tips. The set I am working with now has lasted me years.
>>
>>2329334

It seems to be the opposite. I started working on 70 lb paper with the .3 and .5 but when I switched to 50lb it seems like the problems started.

I bet I am pressing down too hard though. I will try to be more conscious of that.
>>
I have never in my life used one of those pens for more than a few hours without it either bleeding all over my fingers or just not working at all. I literally can't fathom how or why people use them. I've got one sitting on my desk that I'm pretty sure was new when I got it, I picked it up to write a note and thought "gee I'll bet this piece of shit isn't going to write" guess what? It didn't. Fuck microns.
>>
>>2329468
stop buying microns then. they have much better ones. like staedler or copics. or i even use the prismacolor fine liners sometimes.
>>
>>2329253
>because I'm afraid of wasting them
i never get that. people say they don't want to waste their microns but they aren't even expensive... You can always refill those pens by putting pigmented ink into them with a syringe. just pull out the back black part (pitt) or the silver metal-ish part (micron)

try the kakuno fountain pen. just use something like noodlers black or xfeather. the kakuno is smooth, gets better over time rather than worse, and has a cute smiley face or winky

>>2329290
>my mom
kek
>>
>>2329543

Unlike you, some people's mom's love them.
>>
>>2329187
Glow slower, otherwise your tip will erode before the ink is gone.
>>
>>2329601

going fast erodes the tip?
>>
File: 61UcJH9zZ9L._SL1500_.jpg (38 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
61UcJH9zZ9L._SL1500_.jpg
38 KB, 1500x1000
>>2329468

what do you use? Not having a go I'm still trying out things to find what I like.

>>2329478

Are you talking about the Staedtler triplus fineliners? I bought some of these recently and they were quite nice, nearly as good as the faber castell pitt pens but much cheaper. Target had them at 4 for 6 dollars.
>>
>>2330069

More friction I'm guessing.
>>
>>2330074

interesting. Once on a staedtler fineliner I did noticably see the nib start to wear down over the course of a few days. I wouldn't have imagined I was going to fast or pushing too hard but this must be what is happening. I'm not an autist who is unaware of how bad I am abusing my pens but I guess I really do need to reevaluate.
>>
>>2329187
those are disposable so yes, they degrade fast
>>
>>2329478
They're all basically the same.

>>2329461
The weight of the paper has nothing to do with roughness. Use vellum finish bristol or smoother if you can.

However, I find even with smooth paper, the tip wears out before the ink runs out. And I find the edges dry up such that you can only hold the pen upright.. maybe you have to continually vary the angle?

Pen recommendations:

The 0.4 sakura sensei is actually really great because it has a plastic cone tip, except the ink isn't 100% waterproof.

Carbon Pen fountain pen is good. You can get waterproof ink cartriges for it.

Tombow object ceramic roller is good. Again, it has replacable cartriges with waterproof ink. And drawing with the rollerball tip is actually pretty smooth.
>>
>>2330179

Is that carbon fountain pen easily found in stores? What's a good fountain pen you could get somewhere like Michael's?
>>
I've had a pleasant experience with microns. If I'm marathon using them for awhile, it seems like the felt can't wick the ink faster than I'm wiping it onto the paper, so I shake it or wait a bit and more comes. I used to shake too hard and it would fuck everything up and ink would cover the entire end mechanism of the pen. But, I've had good results with microns.
>>
>>2330073
nah i havent tried any of the staedtler ones. though i imagine they're good .
im using copic fineliners at the moment.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.