[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WoTC / MtG Training Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 416_Evacuation_Sk1.jpg (102 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
416_Evacuation_Sk1.jpg
102 KB, 640x465
This is a thread where AD briefs will be posted for you to create and crit each others card mockups in purpose of creating portfolio worthy pieces or training to be on a future Magic the Gathering artist.

For those who want to give it a shot, here's the assignment: (A fairly ok brief I found for starters)
--
Color: White Creature
Location: Plains clearing near an ancient village or something of that sort
Action: A weathered but virile middle-aged battle-cleric sits, wearing the remains of his tattered studded leather armor, cross-legged in front of a small stylish pyre. The fire is surrounded by a ring of short standing stones (maybe 2 feet high) that are engraved on all sides with pictographs/runes. He is coaxing a magical tongue of flame (maybe it burns yellow, or pure white) from the pyre and has been using this magic flame to set alight the stones as if they were some sort of impossible candle. Maybe we see two already lit in this fashion. The pictograms/runes glow softly on these two lit cairns.
Focus: The cleric
Mood: A weaver of magical tales

-Create 3 sketches which work for you and post them. Afterwards we can crit each other and vote which sketch works best among the 3 created.
>>
Nobody here is creating free stuff for you you fucking faggot

get the fuck >>>/out/
>>
>>2328351
Wow, rofl, ur autistic.
>>
>>2328347
Sweet, I've been waiting all day for this. I've never played MtG though so what does it mean for the creature to be "white"? Or does that even affect anything?
Also can we just universally agree to not reply to posts like that first one, I'd really rather see one of these threads stay focused on the task for once.
>>
>>2328393
usaully the color's will determine the type of abilities a card can have. white is more control oriented. life gain, etc

blue is also control, but you control try to control the outcome outside the battefield, shuffle effects, counter spells, bouncing creatures. etc

red, obviously, burn, damaging effects, kills creatures. overall aggressive.

black, is more risk on your side for hopefully more reward. like you'll pay life points to use certain cards. creature destruction,

green is a color where you boost into bigger and badder creatures. you get more mana early game in green than most colors. lots of land base effects, life gain, mana ra,ping, and its generally good at artifact destruction.
>>
>>2328421
Oh okay. So it's not the sort of thing where like it applies an "element" to the creature, like a water pokemon would be mostly blue while an electric might be mostly yellow. I mean as far as visuals go, like the creature might not necessarily look "holy" just because it's a white card, if I'm understanding you right? And thanks for describing all the other color effects, I can still see how you could take influence from what they generally do for some visual cues.
>>
File: wisp.png (139 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
wisp.png
139 KB, 223x311
>>2328429
yeah, like this one. it doesn't look holy but it has effects that a white card might have.
>>
>>2328438
Ugh, it looks actually unholy. But I see the card itself will have a border/background the color of what class it falls under, so I guess it's still good to keep that in mind and incorporate it. Awesome, thanks anon.
>>
>>2328429
Some white cards will be "holy" but they will say it in the description. Also there is a general colour to the card art based on the card colour. it's not exact, like a red card doesn't NEED to have the art all red, but it happens more often than not. Take a skim through this and you will see these patterns of colour emerging: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/164-battle-for-zendikar
>>
>>2328442
Oh this is awesome, not just as a guide for the cards but for color theory overall. I'm not saying everything is a masterpiece, before anyone starts trying to tear me up for idol worship, but I'm seeing a lot of ways of incorporating color that I never would've thought of, especially when it comes to white, like how do you make white colorful? Thanks anon, I'm probably gonna use this for inspiration even beyond this card exercise.
>>
bump. anyone got more MTG briefs? Maybe so we have 3 to choose from.
>>
>>2328752
could try to write a few once i wake up. they'll be my first but i have good ideas
>>
Op here, posting two more briefs I found for some diversity.
--

Color: White Spell
Action: We see the silhouettes of a trio of angels flying in formation, backlit strongly against the sun or very bright clouds. As we look upward, there are weeping willow trees cropping into the scene. We see that as the angels fly overhead, the willows that they have passed over now bear glorious white feathers rather than their 'leaves'.
Focus: The angelic feather-blessing
Mood: Holy, serene

--

Color: Black creature
Action: We see a Supreme Necromancer with a withered and wrinkly visage clothed in sleeveless ceremonial garments as he attempts to perform a delicate resurrection. In a calm and concentrated state, channeling an unholy spell from his runebook on a single or multiple corpses, the spell emanates a purple (or possible black / blue) glow that also illuminates the necromancers hand vascularity / vein structure.
Focus: Supreme Necromancer
Mood: Unholy, uneasy
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.