[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20151226_174030.jpg (528 KB, 983x1237) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151226_174030.jpg
528 KB, 983x1237
Sucks...what's wrong with it
>>
>>2328145
she's black, that's whats wrong.
>>
>>2328145
>those awful saturated colors
>no soft edges
>skin looks like glass
>the way the blouse's neck touches hers ugh

ughughughug
>>
I think you messed up the values illastrat, the form looks good tho
>>
>>2328155
Explain this value shit
>>
>>2328156
Whites are more valuable than blacks.
>>
>>2328145
You know how to paint faces decently but pretty much nothing else. Is she supposed to be a bodybuilder?
>>
>>2328145
ugly linear pillow shading, terrible knowledge of construction, clashing colours, no real sense of form, no composition inconsistent 'lighting', very poor brushwork
>>
>>2328177
I guess its junk
>>
Too contrast background: vibrant green and red take attention away from the focal point, and also the background is too flat.
Also consider making less light on her face, she looks too shiny.
>>
>>2328145
Balance values, use less garish colors. Put differently: Color theory and light & shadow. Learn them.

The form and placement's fine, though. But that isn't what people see. Mainly because of the two above-mentioned problem areas. Work on them, and you will be better.
>>
>>2328185
pretty much, I prescribe one month of Loomis, colour theory practice and master studies for brushwork.
>>
>>2328190
Loomis is shit IMO, kiddy doodlings level, how can it help op?
>>
>>2328189
Red and green is str8 from tube
>>
>>2328192
I don't really like loomis desu and never used him, he's just synonymous with 'figure drawing' whatever.
>>2328196
uh, don't paint straight from tube unless you have a good reason.
>>
>>2328201
I know...
>>
>>2328205
so why did you do it?
>>
>>2328145
Was she sweating profusely or was she just covered in car polish? Goddamn, she looks way too shiny.
>>
>>2328206
Cause I am going for a fauvist look
>>
>>2328224
then its EXTREMELY important that you put lots of time into colour theory and lighting studies then, painting with random colours out of the tube might 'feel' very fauvist but you are relying on pot luck and not really thinking about your colours and it shows big time.
>>
>>2328228
I'd recommend Colour and Light by James Gurney and Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designers by David Hornung.
>>
>>2328228
Do u know what fauvism is?
>>
>>2328245
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh burrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnttt

Holy shit!!
>>
>>2328249
I am just asking. Sometimes, if we are ignorant of something we think things are error when its intended
>>
>>2328245
A dead art movement? you said you were going for a 'fauvist look', this isn't an excuse for your paintings to look like shit, if you are going for a style that emphasises bold colours and painterly brushstrokes then I strongly suggest you research colour theory and lighting becuase at the moment your work just looks plain amateurish.

By the way I get that fauvism favoured nonrepresentational colour, but you have to at least understand how colour and light work first in order to twist and break the rules otherwise you are just shitting on a canvas with colours at random. ESPECIALLY if you are painting from the fucking tube.
>>
>>2328253
I can tell u suck
>>
>>2328254
whatever dude im just trying to help, your work looks like what I used to shit out when I was 16.
>>
>>2328255
Why are you mad then
>>
>>2328255
Mind u. You came out the gate insulting my work.
>>
>>2328260
>Sucks...what's wrong with it
Don't be a baby.
>>
>>2328263
I have not been a baby. If anything U are being a baby. But really, you don't know what fauvism is...do u
>>
>>2328263
That's why you never ever waste your time trying to help this guy
>>
>>2328255

Post your current work.
>>
File: portraitwip.jpg (667 KB, 1500x1526) Image search: [Google]
portraitwip.jpg
667 KB, 1500x1526
>>2328281
I trip so it should be pretty easy to find my work, that's precisely why i trip.
>>2328271
Yeah I was aware of his reputation but I'm always willing to give anyone a chance.
>>
>>2328283
Exactly. Generic, soulless, bullshit. Learn the fundamentals. Self taught
>>
>>2328286
Everyone point and laugh.
>>
>>2328269
Do you?

>fauvism
>literally shading with white and black

????

high saturation does not fauvism make.

normally I would have tried to leave a nice critique but your attitude is shit
>>
>>2328289

I've had a look. Your own shitty self portraits (which aren't good enough for you to have adopted a superior attitude) make you look older than your responses would indicate you are.
>>
>>2328292
Green yellow red

Fauvism...simply
>>
>>2328286
Hahahahahaha
>>
>>2328289
How much money have u made off ur art?

Exactly
>>
>>2328289

Because someone isn't aware of a shitty meme?

You're the one that needs laughing at for thinking that knowledge is something to feel good about.
>>
>>2328293
That's what I'm saying. I know this painting sucks but this dude...

Dunning Krueger anyone?
>>
Illustrat you fucking goon, lock up your titanium. Your works are so white washed it hurts. Fuck the haters on the straight from the tube shit, I love high saturation color. Just learn how to create depth via color temperature shifting
>>
>>2328294
The colors you used are too obvious and close to real life, so it just feels like a bad attempt in realism instead.

You should be more bold and go crazy with colors if that was really your intention, then you'd be criticized more accordingly.
>>
>>2328294
wat?
>>2328301
Dunning-Kruger where? I was giving you advice based on your shortfalls based on my own experiences and studies, at what point did I claim to be better than you apart from when I compared your paintings to my own when I was 16 which is true. Not my fault that you can't take constructive criticism my man.
>>2328305
I have nothing against using paint from the tube where its necessary but of you are literally just going to block in a load of paint straight from the tube you are doing it wrong, unless you have a very specific need for that exact colour.
>>
>>2328168
kek
>>
>>2328145
please stop using white for your highlights, especially if you're going for fauvism manee. and i'd also suggest maybe balancing out that red and green because right now it hurts my eyes a bit
>>
>>2328294
Yeah me mon, green, yella an ried, me mon, paint'a!
>>
This thread is hilarious... guys, hes a tattoo artist. Its like picking on a special needs child... you know, the one eating all the crayons and then blaming it on other kids. just leave him alone
>>
>>2328514
>hes a tattoo artist
citation?
>>
>>2328514
If this is true, this explain a lot of things, A LOT.
AND BY A LOT I MEAN EVERYTHING.
>>
File: Illastrat.jpg (416 KB, 1431x1787) Image search: [Google]
Illastrat.jpg
416 KB, 1431x1787
>>2328521
his girlfriend is a tattoo artist. she went to a school that he couldn't even get in and went into tattoos, and is teaching him on the side. I guess that makes him worse then one? I don't know, just saying hes a tattoo artist is a big enough of an insult in itself

and for reference, all the paintings in this are from his "teacher", so , the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
>>
I thought illustrat was doing some sort of post-ironic satire or something. I mean, he really spat out painting after painting with so much dedication, and defended them like he knew they were shit. But I'm pretty convinced of otherwise after looking at his insta and art show. This guy is genuine I think??
>>
>>2328168
Lol
>>
>>2328145
her left eyes seem fucked. Pure red + pure green seem lazy and not pleasing.

Body look like a tranny on steroid.
too much White highlights is ugly.

The main problem tho is the artist. He seems like a dick to talk with. I know he claim to sell some crap around but it will stop soon if he continue acting like a spoiled 10 year old.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.