[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a Fine Art degree truly useless?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: fine art elephant.jpg (147 KB, 622x900) Image search: [Google]
fine art elephant.jpg
147 KB, 622x900
Surely there will always be a demand for art teachers? Also, some people say that employers don't really care about your degree.
>>
>>2323681
I have an AA in Fine Art, I've gotten work while I was still in school though and I never had an employer or potential employer ask me about my degree. I'd say a degree is only important if you specifically plan to become an art teacher, but even then some of my art teachers didn't have full on teaching degrees, or if you intend to go into graphic design where it seems like there's a lot of demand for bachelor's degrees. More important than the degree itself is the skills you should learn from the classes so if you have a chance to take good classes I'd say do it, but I don't think going through all the hoops to get a degree is worth it outside those two careers I mentioned.
>>
I think it is useless
>>
A degree in Fine art gives you credibility, and increases the price tags on your work. The credibility will probably make it easier for you to get in contact with gallerists too, you will probably get in contact with some during school as well. The education itself can be really good if you find a school that suits you. You will have artist talks with professors who are active fine artists. I would say it's a really good thing for your development as an artist. Many art schools have free-for-all lectures and seminars, that might be something you want to go to if you want to get a feeling of what the schools are like.
>>
>>2324060
You know what mates it easier to sell yourself? if you can actually draw.
>>
I think it depends on what you want to do with your education. I'm more traditional in my taste and just wanted get better so I worked my ass off and got into an academy in Italy. Maybe I'll wish I had a degree at some point but I doubt it.
>>
>>2323681
The only reason to ever get a degree is for that "seal of approval" that employers need when they are sifting through resumes. The thing about art is you are hired based on what you can actually do and how your portfolio looks, not weather or not you paid 30k for a piece of paper. You can still go to school if you desire that learning environment and to come into contact with more people that also like art, but the degree itself won't get you anywhere. There are loads of resources online to learn from anyways, and even communities to meet people. I think you should go to school for a "plan B" career.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.