[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Very minor but extremely effective tweaks to your drawing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: cath-riley-hands.jpg (28 KB, 630x463) Image search: [Google]
cath-riley-hands.jpg
28 KB, 630x463
ITT: Very minor but extremely effective tweaks to your drawing technique that you wish you understood when you first started. Things that should have been obvious but you just realized and slapped yourself for not doing one day.

>Holding the pencil less tightly

My whole life I heard this, but never digested it consciously for years. I was still keeping a death grip on the pencil, which made drawing something new seem twice as hard as it actually was. Just holding the damn pencil looser takes away that illusory difficulty and makes your confidence skyrocket when you see things taking shape without murdering your paper.
>>
>>2321840
To focus my use of value to show form most of all, instead of trying to get a super accurate lightsource.
>>
>>2321840
Don't fap with your drawing hand, it fucks up your freehand lines.
>>
>>2321840
I always sucked at perspective, so I avoided it until I learned how to see things in boxes. Now perspective is easy.
>>
>>2323430
How?????
>>
File: The box method.png (264 KB, 887x823) Image search: [Google]
The box method.png
264 KB, 887x823
>>2323430
>>2323457
Lot of studying of Kim Jung Gi's work. Pic related is when it all clicked for me. Basically the concept behind it revolves around the idea of approximated perspective. We learn 1, 2, an 3 point perspective. Well, approximated perspective doesn't use a vanishing "point", but rather, a vanishing "zone". That's where the box comes in. I don't think KJG has a comprehensive video properly explaining, so I had to figure a lot of this out on my own. Basically you use the box as a guide for setting your perspective. Once you have a box in placed, draw ANYTHING you want inside of it. A hand, a foot, a head, whatever. But you must remember that what ever you choose to draw inside the box, it must obey the laws of that box that you have drawn. So if you draw a box that appears to be viewed from above, your lines MUST converge in the directions according to the box. For example, in my pic related, the box is drawn in being viewed from above, so all my figures are converging along side that box. There is a bit more to explain, but, fuck I could go on for hours trying to explain this. I'll try to make a comprehensive tutorial instead, because I feel like a lot of people are in the dark about this concept/ they may be looking at it in the wrong way.
>>
>>2323467
You mean this???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxQxWdLo9Y

Normal perspective is better.
>>
>>2323467
How do you know the size of things?
>>
>>2323472
Kinda. There's a bit more to it than what he's explaining. I mean, you can learn normal perspective if you want. I don't think it's better, that's a matter of opinion.
>>
>>2323420
But I need both hands for fapping.
>>
>>2323420
I never heard of that. Well, I'll start trying using my left hand.
>>
>>2323430
>>2323499
It is truth.
>>
>>2323486
Do you have some tuts or instructions?
>>
>>2323529
I'll try to throw one together later.
>>
>>2323257
Explain.
>>
>>2323467
Its a great exercise. When you draw the box you immediately have to think in volumes instead of lines.
>>
Simplified silhouettes are better than accuracy. For example, you're drawing a person in a wrinkled shirt. Sure, draw all the wrinkles inside, but the external silhouette should be heavily simplified, ignoring all the little folds that go in and out of the silhouette. This simplification makes a more powerful image that reads much better at a distance. Look at any big named illustrator and they simplify shapes this way, like James Jean. He has super complex compositions, but the main silhouettes are cleaned up, the complexity is contained in those simple forms.
>>
>>2323620
When???
>>
>>2321840
take a min. to look at your work from a distance every now and then.
>>
File: 1450609971039.jpg (1 MB, 1589x2150) Image search: [Google]
1450609971039.jpg
1 MB, 1589x2150
>>2323715
not them, but worrying too much about angles and light sources will distract you from understanding and accentuating the forms themselves. Light bounces around everywhere anyway, and it's something that can be played with for visual appeal. So as long as you're in the ballpark, it's fine.

However, if you don't get across the forms, it doesn't matter how 'accurate' your light source is. Because the piece will fall flat anyway. Forms are #1 priority. Well-understood forms will convey a good light source, but a good light source doesn't do for shit if the forms are shit.
>>
>>2325193

fucking this (also, the drawing on your pic is one of the most beautiful of all time)
>>
>>2323472
check out this guy https://youtu.be/mk84EpHmZKQ he has a ton of videos explaining how to use organic perspective
>>
flip your canvas often, or look at it in the mirror.

always be observing, nature, people, animals, architecture; be your own camera with an artistic vision; if you find something really interesting actually take a picture and write notes.

use reference often, try and retain the information that you're using reference with.

keep drawing, repetition is key; keep on fighting the good fight everyone.

merry christmas
>>
>>2325234
happy Drawnukkah
>>
fucking squint holy shit
also thumbnails
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.