[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop feeling depressed about my art? Right now I feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: katsuya terada.jpg (87 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
katsuya terada.jpg
87 KB, 500x288
How do I stop feeling depressed about my art?

Right now I feel helpless and unable to improve compared to my peers.

What the fuck do I do /ic/? I feel like I could be permanently depressed because of this.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-18+at+06.40.58).jpg (96 KB, 1323x516) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-18+at+06.40.58).jpg
96 KB, 1323x516
Just keep drawing fäm
>>
depression is your friend if you're an artist.
>>
File: dkUDtPi.png (783 KB, 971x387) Image search: [Google]
dkUDtPi.png
783 KB, 971x387
>>2320161
>in a circle of artists friends who all have studio jobs at well known companies and great skill

The insecurities are crippling me senpai.
Their art from 5 years ago is leagues better than mine is right now.
>>
>>2320153
>What the fuck do I do /ic/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
actualized.org
>>
>>2320189

dude looks like mega mind
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (81 KB, 747x660) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
81 KB, 747x660
>>2320164
>>in a circle of artists friends who all have studio jobs at well known companies and great skill

>The insecurities are crippling me senpai.

Don't sweat it count famula, if that's the case your friends are probably way better than me and I'm probably older than all of you. Listen to Fatal1ty's timeless words of wisdom and practice. I had to work like a dog just to be able to draw at an average middle-schooler's level like I do today. Try not to worry about what the other guy is doing. It's irrelevant. I am shit, and maybe you are too, the only way out for either of us is lots of purposeful drawing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aobIboK_z34
>>
>>2320153
>How do I stop feeling depressed about my art?

Stop comparing
Stop coming to /ic/ for anything but books and a quick laugh
Start drawing
>>
When in doubt, do more life studies.
>>
File: bacon bank.jpg (437 KB, 2307x1219) Image search: [Google]
bacon bank.jpg
437 KB, 2307x1219
masturbation before any art work leads to depression for most artist. said the great Salvador dali . so start masturbating after your work if u cant change up your masturbation up you probably want to change up your art. i dont know why bro but it works.
>>
>>2320242
This.
I only come here to hopefully agitated some people and pirate some artbooks.
>>
>>2320153
do not rely upon art for your self worth
>>
jesus anon I feel you, you dont even know how much. I was depressed and lost all of my confidence, not even mentioning my ideas or isnpiration. I was unable to draw. Then I realised that I have not only lost my will to draw but fucking actual skills. I was worse than few months ago.
But you know what anon, doing art, and shit, we all do art here, is about emotions. Whatever the fuck will people who whore themselves drawing things they hate for money will tell you, it is still about emotions. I started drawing my sadness and everything, mostly with my hands, even with blood (thats a longer story) and something happened. I hadnt done any actual studies, my anathomy was still wonky, but I had learnt how to do things out of me, how to draw how I feel.
And anon, so some people you know are better than you. So what. Does it change you positions or your skills anyway? Maybe they had more time to study. Maybe they had better teahcers and resources. Maybe they started drawing when they were younger - so fucking what. They could be worse, they could be better, and your art skills would be still the same. Fuck their shit, maybe they just mastered one thing and are horrible in others, maybe they are just hacks, you are making your own way and looking at others wont change it unless it motivates you. And it doesnt. So take a paper, draw your depression and then go do some studies. Good luck baby
>>
Don't compare yourself to your peers as much.
It can help for perspective - especially if you're getting a bit of an ego - but it shouldn't be your main point of comparison if you want to be happy. Of course that doesn't mean don't draw inspiration from outside or learn from others, that's still important, but don't constantly go "I'm not as good as x person" because that mindset will make you feel like shit.
Compare to yourself. View your work in relation to your old work. If you're not as good as you were a year ago, then you have a problem, but you know that's a problem you can fix because you did it already before. If you're better than you were a year ago, there you go.
>>
Try going outside your comfort zone in terms of your work. I had a period where I wasn't happy with my work but didn't know how to improve/change it from the re-hashed classical painting style I had fallen into. I approached my next paintings it in a way I wouldn't usually and I was back on track with a new style that I actually enjoy doing work in.
The first few works I did in this new way were terrible but that's normal, just stay determined and move on!
>>
>>2320153
>tfw sometimes make really good art i'm happy with just from imagination and no references
>other times I try and can't draw basic shit like face shape

I don't get how it can vary so much, what do you guys do to get in the right mindset?
>>
>>2320162
this
>>
>>2320395
This is the best answer but it's hard to focus on something else when art is what you're best at.

I feel you OP, lately I've been noticing that when I concentrate on learning something (say anatomy) I get worse at something else (like use of color). feelbatman.psd
>>
Post your art OP
>>
File: merc_wip.jpg (219 KB, 800x1154) Image search: [Google]
merc_wip.jpg
219 KB, 800x1154
>>2321120
>>
>>2321124
You are good OP. Why are you feeling sad?
>>
>>2320162
No, most good artists are happy people who have confidence and passion. The romantic /ic/ ideal of an artist that is chronically depressed, hates everything he does, but still struggles onward for the sake of improvement is a fucking joke.
>>
>>2321225
You left out the part where the ideal artist never EVER makes money on his art. Even one shekel is selling out. Art should only be learned to be able to perfectly replicate the Cistine Chapel and all of Sargent's paintings from memory, and then the artist can die happily knowing he got gud.
>>
>>2321153
kek.
>>
>>2321153
Oh boy.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.