[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
30 years in the business and nomura still draws sidemouth and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 22
File: 1450348498736.jpg (289 KB, 800x1126) Image search: [Google]
1450348498736.jpg
289 KB, 800x1126
30 years in the business and nomura still draws sidemouth and stumpy fingers
Do you know any other "famous" artists who just refuse to improve?
>>
File: john-singer-sargent-self-image.jpg (99 KB, 450x682) Image search: [Google]
john-singer-sargent-self-image.jpg
99 KB, 450x682
>economic brushstrokes
>master at portraits
>kills with a limited pallete
>one day he just decided to just die
>never improved after that

Seriously, fuck this fucktard. So lazy. He thinks being dead is a good enough reason to stop improving. It's been a century since his last painting, and he decided to become a NEET and just sleep in his underground chamber. Fuck this guy.
>>
File: nomura-profile[1].jpg (232 KB, 1854x1842) Image search: [Google]
nomura-profile[1].jpg
232 KB, 1854x1842
>directs 9 separate games and a movie in the span of 15 years

"heY, NOMURA, WHY YOU STILL DRAWIN SIDE MOUTHs, DOG WHY YOU REFUSE 2 IMPROVE. fuckin scrub, amirite m8s"
>>
Does Zelda even stand a chance against two Clouds?
>>
>>2318469
Considering the fact that he was also the art director of all those shitty kingdom farts games he made he did a piss poof job of improving his craft.
Only because he's famous does not mean he's good.
His "art" is sub deviantart level
>>
>>2318488
what is "deviantart level" anyway?
>>
Maybe he is surrounded by ass kissers who often tell him how wonderful his art is. Being a boss at a big Japanese company can result in that.
>>
File: 1449961321303.jpg (13 KB, 387x309) Image search: [Google]
1449961321303.jpg
13 KB, 387x309
>Donkey Kongs feet
>>
>>2318488
When you have a job, it can become hard to actually improve, though you're making a lot of art. It's not like he was doing studies while working on those games, he was producing artwork that he was asked to create. Maybe he wasn't hired specifically for his side mouth, but he was hired to make the art he was already making, and that's what he did.
>>
>>2318440
that donkey kong looks p dumb ngl
>>
File: 01906093.jpg (11 KB, 297x170) Image search: [Google]
01906093.jpg
11 KB, 297x170
>>2318488

His art is the cornerstone formative influence to western kids wanting to be weebs and draw anime and post it on deviantart

Dont you know anything?

Yoshida and Amano are better
>>
yeah op, I'm sure you can scrabble up some pretty decently lit baskets of fruit on your table but you can't create hundreds of memorable iconic characters
>>
>>2318440
Are you seriously saying that the fact he draws Mario with stumpy fingers is a sign of him refusing to improve? If you were tasked with the art direction for the next Mario game, you would draw realistic, detailed hands? I'm glad no one will ever hire you for any concept design related jobs.
>>
File: 18_kbrad_look.jpg (28 KB, 640x200) Image search: [Google]
18_kbrad_look.jpg
28 KB, 640x200
>>2318488
dude was hired for his creative skill, not his technical, he's more into character/fashion design (key word: design) than illustration, it's why he always has goofy ass motifs, like giant zippers early on in the KH series.

also
>Only because he's famous does not mean he's good.
you want to use "Just" in place of "Only"
the form of "only" you used there is singular and more declarative, accusational, you'd use it more like
"you ONLY care about Nomura because he's famous"
where as with
"JUST because nomura is famous, it does not mean he's good"
make's a more general "third-person" statement of "fame does not always equal skill" which is an undeniable fact, while also implying your opinion that he is not good

but yeah, good job on learning another language, that shit's hard, other than that one lil slip you're doing really good, that said, i still think you're wrong and have a shit opinion GETREKKEDSON
>>
>>2318525
>american
>cat with a fat eat-everythig-pikachu
>autistic girl with big boobs
>mini-guts with spiky hair
>lion thing
>dead girl
>big black man
>gay man in black
>>
>>2318541
you're jelly is showing.
>>
>>2318528
he's probably the kind of guy who thinks all superhero costumes have to be dark and dull colours with shades of brown to be realistic
>>
>>2318541
>basket of fruit made on a wacom tablet
>>
>>2318530
Why is filthyfrank so upset
>>
>>2318541
>Plumber with moustache
>kid with green hat
>blonde chick in power armor
>dude with needles in his head
>faggot in spandex
>red guy with huge hand

writing stupidly simplified descriptions of characters doesn't make them any less well known or iconic, it just makes you look like a retard who doesn't know the first thing about character design.
>>
>>2318609
FF has some of the worst design Japan has to offer, comparing them to iconic Mario and Zelda is stupid.
>>
>>2318530
>dude was hired for his creative skill, not his technical, he's more into character/fashion design (key word: design) than illustration, it's why he always has goofy ass motifs, like giant zippers early on in the KH series.
That's wrong.
Dude was hired as a pretty bog standard pixel pusher during the snes days
>>
>>2318528
The fact that you see nothing wrong with any of the hands tells me you're a no skill loser from /ic/
>>
>>2318629
That's not the point you fucking moron. You said he draws stumpy fingers and that's an indication that he refuses to improve. None of these hands are anatomically perfect, no one gives a shit about that, but the only "stumpy" fingers in that image are Mario's. His hands are obviously stumpy and stylized on purpose and he would look fucking retarded with realistic hands in comparision to the rest of his stumpy, round-ish shape design.

The fact that you have so little understanding of consistent design and stylization shows you have no chance of ever making it as an artist.
>>
File: hands.jpg (25 KB, 340x282) Image search: [Google]
hands.jpg
25 KB, 340x282
>>2318643
I am already an art director at a large videogame company. Why do you think I use /ic/ to vent about stuff I could never say under my usual handle?
Everyone with half a brain and moderate talent realizes that nomura is a no-skill hack.
And you are so far stuck in the trenches that you don't realize you are talking bushleague here.
No matter if cartoony or exaggerated, that hand anatomy is plain out wrong. Not to mention the weirdl curved fingers.
This is highschool-sketchbook level and someone with work of that poor skill level in their porfolio couldn't even land an intern job at my company.
>>
>>2318627
true, but the point still stands, he is paid for his creative, not technical skill
>>
>>2318623
final fantasy is about as iconic as zelda and generic shit like bleach, death note or persona have way worse design
>>
File: 1430015480748.png (723 KB, 640x686) Image search: [Google]
1430015480748.png
723 KB, 640x686
>>2318648
>No matter if cartoony or exaggerated, that hand anatomy is plain out wrong. Not to mention the weirdl curved fingers.

I hope you realize there is a slight curve in the bones of the fingers.
>>
>>2318648
10/10. You got me.
>>
>>2318648
>couldn't even land an intern job at my company.

I think they'd rather work at nintendo.
you're lying btw.
>>
>>2318440
I would put little time in improving my style if I was making the fat stacks too.
>>
>>2318648
Looks like mario hand his fingers broken in about 50 different ways to achieve such a spastic pose
>>
>>2318658
Yep, better do 100 more bridgman hand studies, that will surely bring you closer to your dream of being a successful artist.
>>
File: mariohands.jpg (1 MB, 6000x2000) Image search: [Google]
mariohands.jpg
1 MB, 6000x2000
>>2318648
>that hand
Mario should lay off the smashes.
>>
>>2318665
>>2318655
>>2318653
Is /ic/ now nomura defense force or what's going on?
Anyone with minimal training in art realizes how shoddy that anatomy is.
>>
Some people just choose to draw side mouths because they like it.

Cry "muh style" all you want it doesn't stop it from being true.
>>
>>2318670
>Some people just choose to draw side mouths because they like it.
It's a technique to animate mouthes faster in limited animation.
That's basically all there is to it.
Is /ic/ full of underage deviantarters these days?
How come you don't know that shit?
>>
>>2318669
it's a four fingered cartoon character you fucking tard.
>>
"hey, nomura, we need you to draw an illustration for nintendy"

"dog, i'm directing three fuckin games right now, i don't have time for that shit"

"but we need that FF hype, plus part of the marketing deal means you gotta draw cloud fightin some shit"

"THREE FUCKIN GAMES, DUDE, THREE"

"come on, it's for sakurai"

"fuckin fine"

"dude, that mario hand looks just a bit odd"

"yeah, i know, it's good enough tho, i'm gonna go back to directing three games at once, send soccer guy my regards"
>>
File: mickeyhands.jpg (346 KB, 994x915) Image search: [Google]
mickeyhands.jpg
346 KB, 994x915
>>2318673
Mario has five fingers.
And still. Squash and stretch hands have their own rules. If you're gonna give him max fleischer balloon hands you do it right.
>>
>>2318672
Of course I know that dipshit, the point is as anime influences people sidemouths have developed into a stylistic choice for some.

I don't like it, I'm not defending it, it's just how it is.
>>
>>2318675
>nomura
>directing
He probably sniffs coke off the butts of underage boys.
That faggot can't direct his way out of a wet paper bag. How long did he take for FFXV? 11 years and it's still not even finished?
That man is a hack and fraud of the highest caliber.
>>
>>2318677
I think you should kill yourself. there is no dogma when it comes to drawing cartoons.
>>
>>2318648
Blablabla. Not even going to comment on your little fantasy world.

Going back to my original point, you didn't say he drew those stumpy fingers badly, you implied the very fact that he chose to draw stumpy fingers is bad by default. My point is that Mario's fingers are a part of his overall shape design and it would look inconsistent as fuck if they were more realistic instead of stumpy and stylized. You really need to learn at the very least the basics of shape design and consistency of design elements.
>>
>>2318679
>le i...i was just pretending to be stupid meme
ok
>>
>>2318684
>muh nomura is the greatest artist of all time
Wait... aren't you that guy from /v/ who crashes every final fantasy thread to fill it with copypastas about how nomura is his dad and can do no wrong?
>>
>>2318669
It's more the fact that we like to ridicule and call out amateur shits like yourself and the samefagging OP. To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't even know who Nomura was before this thread. I'm not defending him, I'm attacking you and your typical beginner hubris.
>>
>>2318684
What a load of autism, kill yourself you loser.
That hand looks like shit because it's perspective is all over the place. It looks like he went for mickey mouse fingers but halfway through tried to go for realism or vice versa. Looks like shit.
>>
>>2318692
>we
sure
>>
Stay golden, /ic/.
>>
>>2318695
Wait, you are the dude?
What the shit are you doing on /ic/, shouldn't you be defending FFXV somewhere on /v/?
>>
>>2318440
There's nothing inherently wrong with both the things you mentioned.
>>
>>2318688
>muh nomura is the greatest artist of all time

Do you literally have brain damage or something? How the fuck did you take THAT from my post? I think he's pretty fucking bad actually but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the point I am making and the point you keep dodging.
>>
>>2318693
it looks like a generic stylized cartoon hand and fit's in with the rest of the design. there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>2318702
You are not even making a point here.
The only point is your limited perception.
>>
File: marioshands.jpg (25 KB, 395x246) Image search: [Google]
marioshands.jpg
25 KB, 395x246
>>2318705
>it looks like a generic stylized cartoon hand
kek
>>
>>2318541
Where are your characters, lol
>>
File: clip-art-super-mario-340834.jpg (70 KB, 1200x1440) Image search: [Google]
clip-art-super-mario-340834.jpg
70 KB, 1200x1440
>>2318707
that's what marios hands look like?
>>
>>2318706
No, I am making a point, you are just mentally challenged it appears and you keep ignoring it. Let me explain it to you once again for like the third time:

You (op) criticized the inherent use of "stumpy" fingers as if it is bad by default. My point is that stumpy fingers are a part of Mario's overall shape design and are a requirement for the consistency of his design. They aren't drawn perfectly in this particular illustration, sure, but they sure as hell aren't a problem because they are stylized and stumpy.

Please, before you reply, read through my post until you actually understand what I just said, before you reply yet again with some completely nonsensical shit that has nothing whatsoever to do with the content of my post.
>>
>>2318712
Where is his ball of the thumb located and how do his fingers spread like that?
What kind of babby-tier perception do you have?
>>
>>2318716
top kek you are a fucking retard.
You aren't even making sense because you are literally too autistic to understand the point here.
>>
File: soraartworkresmastered.png (260 KB, 821x1000) Image search: [Google]
soraartworkresmastered.png
260 KB, 821x1000
>>2318716
To be fair stumpy fingers seem to be a general problem with this guy.
>>
>>2318653

>literal weebshit trash defending their idol

/ic/ don't tell me you're a shithole?!
>>
>>2318728
I've noticed a lot of people just comming to /ic/ to defend their favourite artists online without even having basic knowledge of art or illustration and arguing with terms like "style"
>>
>>2318719
you really need to get your autism checked bro. How can you understand so little about anatomy that you completely lose track of how hands work the moment they are stylized?
>>
>>2318667
Does mario have two thumbs?
>>
>>2318726
And as an example for that you post a drawing of his with long and thin fingers?
>>
>>2318732
>anatomy
if I may intercept, the anatomy IS off
see
>>2318667
>>
>>2318732
>stylized
lol, made me laugh out irl.
They don't act different than normal hands, only their proportions are changed. Perspective and anatomy still have to be in place for it to look proper.
>>
>>2318731
>>2318728

Have you ever considered the possibility that most people aren't actually trying to defend the artists when they are attacking you for being a retard? I personally think Nomura is shit, his work is Sam Didier tier. He's a relic of the past who happened to be at the right time at the right place and helped build up a company that would become immensely successful.

That said, you are literally retarded for the autistic shit you are complaining about here. Mario's hands not being realistic enough? Really? This is a new low even for autistic "muh anatomy" tards on /ic/.
>>
File: ad38e5e7b89c1bfa7ebb0e4852f03efd.jpg (287 KB, 1600x1807) Image search: [Google]
ad38e5e7b89c1bfa7ebb0e4852f03efd.jpg
287 KB, 1600x1807
>>2318732

next time I make a shit art piece I'll just call it stylized

here, have some ACTUAL good stylized art
>>
>>2318738
Yes the anatomy is slightly off, but that image you posted only shows that you don't understand foreshortening and the bone structure of fingers whatsoever.
>>
>>2318746
Okay, now I know you're just trolling. Nicely done, you got me, but posting that garbage was a bit too obvious.
>>
I too will concede that the last digit of mario's pointer finger is bending slightly up in an unrealistic way. good eye fellas. glad the anatomy studies paid off.
>>
File: hands.jpg (1 MB, 2388x2000) Image search: [Google]
hands.jpg
1 MB, 2388x2000
>>2318741
>Mario's hands not being realistic enough?
The main problem here is that you sperg out without even understanding the problem, because you are so hopelessly retarded.
You claim to be an artist?
Ok, indicate to me where the bones in this hand are located.
Even cartoons have bones, volumes and perspective.
Protip:
To see the index finger from this angle (below) the pinky finger should not be seen from above but also from below or at least face on.
>>
>>2318747
>Yes the anatomy is slightly off, but that image you posted only shows that you don't understand foreshortening and the bone structure of fingers whatsoever.
Looking forward to your version indicating the correct foreshortening.
/ic/ really needs IDS for people like you to be properly shamed.
If you don't deliver I consider it you realizing you were wrong.
>>
File: GD5.jpg (159 KB, 1600x1291) Image search: [Google]
GD5.jpg
159 KB, 1600x1291
>>2318746
How is that painting stylized? That is badly done Dave Rapoza-esque pseudo realism. If you are serious here, you should really quit art now instead of wasting any more time with it. Your taste is beyond shit.
>>
>>2318750
>>2318759

retard weebs

back to >>>/v/
>>
File: anatomy.jpg (346 KB, 2373x1986) Image search: [Google]
anatomy.jpg
346 KB, 2373x1986
>>2318755
>Ok, indicate to me where the bones in this hand are located.
Not him, but I tried it.
>>
>>2318759
>post disney shit
How about no, you pleb
>>
>>2318755
Holy shit your stupidity is seriously starting to hurt my brain.

For the last time now: I KNOW THE HAND IS BADLY DRAWN. My point is that you (op) criticized the very idea of Nomura drawing stumpy, stylized fingers as being bad and proof he refuses to improve.

>"30 years in the business and nomura still draws sidemouth and stumpy fingers"

You didn't criticize that he drew that stylized hand badly, you criticized that it was stylized and stumpy in the first place. My point, for the 5th time now, is that stumpy fingers are a part of Mario's shape design and that there is nothiing inherently wrong with it.

I am done wasting even one more second talking to you. Thread hidden. I sincerely hope you will find help for your autism one day.
>>
>>2318768
>Holy shit your stupidity is seriously starting to hurt my brain.
That's your autism acting up. Better go see a doctor to have that tumor removed.
>>
File: ssbbwall2med.jpg (592 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ssbbwall2med.jpg
592 KB, 1024x768
you can blame the slightly goofy looking hand on the material of the gloves or his bulbous cartoon fingers.
I was baited hard tho. nicely done. on the off chance any of people complaining are serious I'll say a prayer for you
>>
>>2318768
>I KNOW THE HAND IS BADLY DRAWN
Ok? So what's your point then?
>>
>>2318769
>autism caused by tumor
think out your posts
also you're all clinically retarded
>>
>>2318770
The hands here look fine, despite being low poly.
>>
>>2318746
That is pretty shit to be honest. No ounce of originality, only overused cliched gritty realism painting that does nothing to add or enhance to the original character.

Learn how to tie a noose with a rope, and hang yourself.
>>
>>2318781

buzzwords and telling me to kill myself

textbook platinum mad
>>
>>2318494
Holy shit I just noticed that

What the actual fuck?
>>
>>2318787
Doesn't make it less true.

Also, nice classic 'u mad' defense. Thanks for showing that you have shit understanding on what is good.
>>
File: condomfeet.jpg (16 KB, 156x235) Image search: [Google]
condomfeet.jpg
16 KB, 156x235
>>2318792
top kek
>in b4 ITS STYLIZATION ITS PERFECT DONT CRITICISE MY WEEBSHIT
>>
>>2318765

Holy shit /ic/ have you ever even looked at the skeleton of the hand ? LOL
>>
it's called time constraints and having a job, he doesn't have all day to upload his hand gestures to /ic/ to get them redlined by other neets.
>>
>>2318798
>and having a job
So why be shit at your job?
>>
>>2318802
to give neets something to complain about seemingly
>>
>>2318793

you have 0 arguments

stfu and go
>>
>>2318820
Are you retarded? The argument was you have shit understanding of what is good. You posted a shitty fanart that tries to imitate Rapoza's style badly, with an abuse of textured brush and a serious case of hand hiding. It also has no redeeming quality in terms of personality or personal touch to it. Just another gritty realistic remake that is ready to go into the dumpster full of other Rapoza imitations.

Don't bother replying. I already had enough of 'no u' replies. Befitting reply from an idiot.
>>
What gets me is that they have the smash models for reference. Couldn't he have posed them or something for reference on how the poses look?
>>
>All this commotion over a simple hand
This thread
>>
>>2318825

now you're mad? lol go and stay go
>>
>>2318489
Either Loish, Lackadaisy and Artgerm or Sonichu, Dobson and scuba furries guy. Depends on who you ask.
>>
>>2318623
Hey nigger, the Black and White mages are motherfucking icons.
Just because Nomura's belt and zipper fetish has made shit weird in the past decade doesn't mean FF didn't intruduce a lot of iconic designs to the world of vidja.
>>
>>2318667
The thumb doesn't connect to the palm in that way.
You need to study a lot more before doing "redlines".

And yes Mario's hand is fucked but obviously, most of the critics wouldn't have done it much better.
>>
>>2318648
88/8 m8 made me reply
>>
>>2318746
Calling this stylized is like putting avocado on a hamburger and calling it mexican food.

It's not purposedly stylized, the artist just isn't good enough at realism and his errors show through.
If this is what /ic/ thinks stylization means, I can finally see why you're not achieving any sort of success. The industries don't need any more xerox machines, ref tracers and photbashers.
>>
what the fuck is Kirby doing?
>>
>>2318609
but there is literally nothing iconic about anything Final Fantasy
>>
>>2318648
The fact that you care so much about pedantic details foremost shows that you aren't who you say you are. If you've ever talked to ANY art directors at a major studio whether it be videogames or animated films they speak on bigger picture problems which you surprisingly haven't pointed out any
>>
>>2320339
>Black Mage
>White Mage
>Airships
>Chocobos
>Tonberries
>Bahamut
>Moogles
>Magic robots
>Kefka
>Cloud
>Sephirot
>Belts and Zippers

Nigga don't lie, you may not like it but FF as a franchise has contributed a lot of visual stereotypes to fantasy, sci-fi and magitech settings.
>>
File: le fat fedora man.jpg (10 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
le fat fedora man.jpg
10 KB, 214x317
>>2320367
>magitech settings

Man, I like Final Fantasy too to be honest family but that just made you sound like a dork lmoa
>>
>>2318440
At least 1/5 of comic book artists that get paid.

Style bruh.
>>
>>2320369
We're in 4chan on friday night. We're all dorks, dweebs, nerds, retads, aspies and losers.
>>
File: tricky mickey.jpg (29 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
tricky mickey.jpg
29 KB, 500x318
>>2320370
I'd wager it's more than half that are getting paid actually. Of course, that's totally conjectural.

>>2320388
Good point.

(I didn't even know it was Friday)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
>>
>>2320397
Well they all get paid, I meant to say.

Not all of them are good, but they get paid and that's a career for them, which is all that matters.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.