[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No Degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: some dota2 shit I guess.jpg (2 MB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
some dota2 shit I guess.jpg
2 MB, 2500x2500
I'm Canadian and have no college/uni degree.

Is there any hope for me whatsoever with getting far in a studio career not in Canada? How?
>>
>>2318119
theres little hope for people who DO have degrees. That's some good shit though.
>>
>>2318119
Never played DOTA but my roommates literally just failed out of school for it. Block printing for some Christmas cards, what's a popular hero?

Also I don't know, but you can establish a fine art practice assuming you know your shit without a BFA.
>>
File: tumblr_nxzky5OCp91s9ehu5o2_400.png (115 KB, 262x198) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxzky5OCp91s9ehu5o2_400.png
115 KB, 262x198
>>2318205
Axe, Pudge, Jugger, Invoker and AM are pretty much the most iconic, especially the last 2
though I haven't played in years, so things might have changed
>>
no, because people without degrees can never be as good as the ones who have them
>>
A degree is worth shit if your portfolio is good enough.
>>
>>2318251
Bullshit.
>>
I can think of quite a few game studios that will hire artists based on portfolio here in Canada. Degrees might look good to some but I'd say you're fine as long as you have a very strong portfolio, and if they decline you don't be afraid to ask if they could review your portfolio or suggest a good example if you're on good terms with them.
>>
>>2318251

Absolute crap.

Degrees are an easy way of telling your employer that you're educated, which you can do just as effectively by assembling a diverse portfolio. If you're good, there's always a market.

Just be wary when negotiating payment, as opportunistic employers often resort to a lack of qualifications to pay less.
>>
So if i have a degree in not Art, but a strong Portfolio is it effectively the same as if i did?

Oh is it best to see where a Portfolio gets you?
>>
>>2318251
Bait/Sarcasm.
>>
>>2318330
>>2318349
>I can't into sarcasm starter pack
>>
Depends on where you go to school. The art school I go to only employs instructors who are also working artists - it's an excellent way to learn and network with successful, established artists. Of course most kids just do the bare minimum and will fall on their ass once out of school; it's all about how much you put in.

Another focus of my school is getting internships/grants/gallery showings, self-marketing, and setting up your personal practice. Really, if you're dedicated you'll do better than 'educated' artists who slacked off in school, but if you're dedicated and get an education, you'll be jumpstarting your career.
>>
>>2318378
I should add, a HUGE bonus about going to school is learning how to critique and improving from critiques. Being technically skilled might get you a job at a studio doing grunt work but you'll mostly be working from other's ideas. Having a strong education in art theory/history and really understanding the nature of critiquing is what will get you a job creating original content and having others work on your ideas rather than vice versa.
>>
>>2318365
It is a lot more important in most areas of art to prove that you can do it rather than having a piece of paper that says you learned to, if you just learned, it means nothing as to what your art is actually going to look like.
As a side note: If a concept or digital art studio uses a certain piece of software for example, you really need to know how to use it or at least know something similar so that you can transition.
They'll tell you if they need you to be certified in photoshop or some shit, but that's done through adobe or the companies themselves most of the time, not a school.
>>
>>2318381
I can attest to that. If you can't take critique or give it you're probably not going to be hugely useful to a team that's for sure. It's not bad to pass your portfolio around and ask what professionals think if they're good with that to get used to the idea if you aren't.
>>
>>2318384
Ah so if i got gud, not having the art degree won't fuck me compared to say not being able to use software?
Good to know
>>
>>2318314

does a good portfolio help in getting a work visa? :P
>>
>>2318503
you'll need either a degree or a comparable amount of time as a professional (3+ years, with recomendations and awards, basically stuff that says you're as qualified as someone who actually holds a degree) to get that work visa bub. Having a kickass portfolio won't cut it. That's because visas are issued by national immigration departments and they're not exactly known for judging your art to grant you a visa.
>>
>>2318119
Is that yours?
Put that on a T-shirt or make 8x10 prints and people will eat that shit up like hotcakes

not even joking, if you want money on the side, this is the easiest way to do it.

Studio careers are possible for all walks of life. Just a matter of applying yourself and being confident with your work.
>>
>>2319542
This. I'm Canadian and last year got a job offer for a job in the US, but had less than 3 years of work experience so couldn't get the visa.
>>
>>2318141

Not OP, but how do they have less of a chance?
>>
>>2321855

I think he's trying to say either way the art industry is massively competitive so don't count on getting in
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.