[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I do okay for a beginner? It's something I drew up to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Fire.png (50 KB, 450x448) Image search: [Google]
Fire.png
50 KB, 450x448
Did I do okay for a beginner? It's something I drew up to show you guys so you can critique it. Don't spare me any critical stuff. I would love some advice on how I can better myself as an artist.
>>
File: Fire.jpg (105 KB, 347x458) Image search: [Google]
Fire.jpg
105 KB, 347x458
First you should post this in the draw thread or beginner thread. Fire can be tricky to draw, but i've found that creating a darker red base and then another layer over that using low opacity strokes of brighter and brighter color works best...Also alternate with a low strength eraser to clean the edges of the flame licks to create the shape you want. Lightly erase away some areas since fire is semi transparent while also having varying "thickness" to the brighter light emitting areas. I'm probably not the best but this is what i mean.
>>
^ Fire curls and twists as it rises. Fire should have a central column of height with lesser ones around it. Yours has too many nearly even height flames, and they are just simple peaks. Add in bits of flame that have separated (not many) from the main body of it near the top as you'd see in real flame. Also add in a few bits of cinders above the fire and you could even add a bit of smoke too. Smoke is really easy...just pick a dark gray color and do low opacity blots overlapping each other upward in a column above the fire...lightly blend them a bit and then shape it up a bit with a low density eraser on the sides.
>>
>>2317471
>Did I do okay for a beginner?
Well it looks like a beginner drew it.
>>
>>2317506
So I guess I did okay then.
>>2317485
>>2317488
Thank you very much. I'll use the advice. Very much appreciated.
>>
>>2317471
RTFS
>>
basically you painted the flame of a torch when it should be a 'campfire' if its a campfire you should have visible fuel source like logs. you should be able to tell something of likes of this flame comes off this log if that makes sense. also the way you have them overlapped is a little unnatural. its a bit weird that the front and foremost is the biggest and widest. fire is pretty fucking random.
>>
File: 1449061659823.jpg (29 KB, 245x295) Image search: [Google]
1449061659823.jpg
29 KB, 245x295
>>2317471
it looks like fucking shit and you are a shit artist quit now.

The reason I can tell you will fail is because you are so retarded that you think your post deserves its own thread when there is tons of other threads you could have posted this garbage in.

any other newfags that do this deserve to be banned and made fun of.

I'm not being edgy I'm just being blunt.
>>
>Did I do okay for a beginner?

Why do people ask this? What are you expecting? What do you fucking want?
>>
>>2317570
Praise
>>
>>2317562
no you're being edgy
>>
>>2317562
> b-b-but muh superiority, posting a thread for a question is too ambishis, dis new guy is askin for advice and critique, oy vey this guys gonna make me unload my edginess on him
>huehuehue he fell for le bait
>>
ITT: the blind leading the blind
>>
File: CampFire.jpg (1 MB, 2016x1512) Image search: [Google]
CampFire.jpg
1 MB, 2016x1512
>>2317471
look at this now look at your picture.
If you are aiming for realism look at the source material and study each element.
If you are looking at stylisation incorporate the essence in a way that visually appealing.
Did you even look at any reference?
>>
>>2317600
not op but thanks for the reference.
>>
>>2317600
The best reference for a flame is one that had a fast shutter speed on the camera. If you paint using a ref like this and all the motion blur it has in it... it's going to look strange. For instance the cinders shouldn't be drawn as streaks but rather amorphous little specks, which is to say they aren't little circles and can vary in shape.
>>
>>2317600

>If you are looking at stylisation incorporate the essence in a way that visually appealing.

Nice way of putting it. That's essentially how good cartooning works.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.