[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need ideas for a young boy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_4175 8x10 sm.jpg (241 KB, 1001x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4175 8x10 sm.jpg
241 KB, 1001x800
So for the Santa program at work, I ended up with the card for a 14 year old guy. He asked for drawing supplies, with no other info supplied.
So far, I've been thinking about:
Moleskin Sketchbook
Strathmore 400 sketch pad
and a pack of Sakura pens.
I'm assuming they're a low income family since they're in the program, so I'm trying to balance between "nice" stuff for him, and buying him more items of a slightly lower quality.
So what would you guys want for Xmas if you were a broke 14 year old dude?

And critique the pic if you want.
>>
>>2317073
That sounds pretty good already to be honest. If you are already getting him some pens maybe try getting a decent brushpen too as it will open up a lot of new possibilities for him and would likely be something he hasn't tried before.

If you want to spend more you can also get him an instructional book too. Maybe one of Loomis' books or something. Or How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way might be better for a 14 year old while still being of actual use (many drawing books aimed at kids are garbage). I'm not sure really how serious a 14 year old would be, but if he is interested in art then exposing him to a resource that could lead him out of amateurism to a professional career one day might not be a bad idea. Or maybe an instructional book is too "boring" for someone of that age, and a book like The Art Spirit, or maybe Art and Fear would be better.
>>
>>2317089
Yeah, that's the thing about the instructional books...I'm not sure if he's copying daVinci sketches or manga...
>>
>>2317073
A decent sketchbook, some pencils, eraser, sharpener, and a link to the wiki.
>>
>>2317127

I thought about adding te penils and eraser, sharpener etc, but I figured he'd probably already have those...
Unless he's so broke he's using standard #2 pencils and never tried the higher end ones.
Thought about teh wiki - but there;s nekid chix there- and I also thought about dl'ig some Loomis books or art instructional materials.
>>
>>2317140
>I also thought about dl'ig some Loomis books or art instructional materials.
Oh shit, give him a USB stick with a shit ton of instructional books, art books, art videos etc. If you get good variety he will be happy no matter what his interests are. It could be a life changing thing.
>>
>>2317156
That's pretty much what I was thinking.
Came up a little short on material at my usual places though.
>>
>>2317199
How are you short on material? What have you included so far?
>>
>>2317201
Other than the free Loomis books, I didn't find any torrents.
>>
>>2317205
There's a thread up right now that has links to a lot of different books. Searching the archive you should be able to find older threads that have a lot of other things too.
>>
>>2317073
>Santa program

lol i would opt the fuck out of that shit
>>
Get him a nice lightbox. Because even if hes shit, he can still print off his favorite manga shit and copy it. :) He'll use it the most. And I bet if hes poor he don't got one. And you can get a nice Huion one for like 40 on amazon. There you go anon. Give the gift of gift-giving.
>>
>>2317340
It was optional. I chose t do this.
>>
>>2317212
Great idea. This isn't one of my regular boards, and Iooked right past that thread.
Thanks a lot.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.