[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It seems to me that starting "late" is much less of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: GNA9nCs.jpg (882 KB, 1200x1009) Image search: [Google]
GNA9nCs.jpg
882 KB, 1200x1009
It seems to me that starting "late" is much less of a problem in art than in other fields like music, sport, or dance.

People will tell (and evidence favours their view) that to be a proffesional violin player or ballerina you must have begun your developement in the field at least before the age of 8. This to me does not seem to be true for drawing, painting, or sculpting.

Am I mistaken in some way? What do you think?
>>
>>2316832
Do they say that for violin? Huh. For a ballerina sure since that is almost entirely a physical thing.I suppose violin is also physical to an extent.

Art is 99% mental. There are countless examples of people starting in their teens or 20's and becoming successful in it.
>>
art is just more popular than playing violin, that's why there's not a common things old guys starting and mastering it late

and it's doesn't mean it's not possible, just it's not common

and getting gud late is not common either
>>
>>2316834
They say for violin, piano, harp, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, trumpet, and basically every instrument except the ones that tend to have a secondary job like classical contrabass and timpani.
>>
>>2316902
I didn't base my view on empirical observation, as I haven't collected statistics. I base it on observation on how the medium works.
>>
>>2316915
might have to do with having god hands,
>>
>>2316902
Wrong, developing physical memory is far more important when playing an instrument than with drawing. That's why starting earlier is so much more important with it than with art.
>>
>>2316832
You can't lump those together like that. Those fields all have performance aspects that require you to do a pretty significant amount of damage to your body, to be able to recreate a piece you already know almost perfectly multiple times, or both. Drawing/painting pictures does not have that.

If you want to compare it to composition, coaching and choreography, you can get into those at any age, but nobody takes you seriously if you aren't good at the performance aspect anyway. So I guess, yes in that respect starting late in those entire fields is "more of a problem."
>>
Not to mention everyone's been developing the basic motor skills necessary for drawing since first year of school. The same thing can't really be said for most music. The only exception I can think of would be singing, which people at any age really can become good at.
>>
I am certainly a Late Starter.

Been drawing all my life,and been developing the concepts and characters of my comics since my 30s,started the first drawing for the first panel and page of a graphic novel at midnight of my 40th birthday,and only put up a website for it all a few years ago. Back then I found the process tedious and daunting:sketching parts of scenes in pencil,scanning them into the computer and Photo shopping the cleaned up bits into panels. I did one 16 page story to educate myself about how to do this,but I only got two chapters done before allowing myself to be distracted by the dynamic creative potential of Second Life for 6 years. And when the website went live and I was prepared with a workable weekly strip-full of content,Life threw me a curve and I was stuck following my girlfriend around in waiting rooms and bowling alleys, so instead of a well produced weekly strip worthy of repackaging as collections, I am doing a semi weekly strip in a Sketchbook I upload with minimal cleaning apart from adding legible word balloons. Not what I wanted,but I have watched the story unfold with as much fascination as any of my readers. I can only hope traffic will grow and exposure will lead to something more like movies or a video series or merchandising. Something that will allow me to flee the 3rd shift supermarket gig and let me tell as many stories as I can.
>>
>>2316832
The comparison doesn't work to begin with.
The technical perfection which you need to achieve in order to be able to perform a task flawlessly in real time is not the same thing as the understanding of that task. One requires a learned, internalized instinct that an adult will have a hard time developing, the other requires understanding of a subjectmatter and its creative application. You can't become a famous pianist if you don't start early, but you can still become a damn good composer.

Art has some aspects of technicality to it, but it's not a big deal because you can just slow down your process to get the accuracy that people who started earlier will be able to achieve at top speeds.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.