[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digital art software advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: photoshop_cc_preview.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
photoshop_cc_preview.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
I want to get into digital painting, but there are some things I want to understand more regarding software;

I often see people saying they prefer to paint in Manga Studio, but use Photoshop for things like 'colour correction'. Does colour correction mean they're fixing mistakes they made? Or is it not possible to get the colours you need in Manga Studio? Is colour correction only possible if you have a monitor with 100% colour accuracy?

Ultimately, I'd like to create digital paintings similar to Jason Seiler, and Tsaoshin. Does their kind of work require Photoshop, or can it be achieved with software like Manga Studio or even Procreate on iPad? Do these programs lack critical features besides the ability to colour correct? Help me understandu!

Thanks
>>
>>2316796
photoshop has everything you need to do paintings. But it's primarily a photo-manipulation program. So basically if you need more contrast. want to shift your drawing to add more blues, less reds, change gamma and what have you... that's were it has a lot more options then other drawing programs.
>>
>>2316796
Just a guess as I have only tried coral painter and photoshop but I think the key point is that photoshop is just unintuitive for most artist. They want to do everything with their brush and usually don't go much further than experimenting a bit with some layers. If you know how to use photoshop properly as a tool then it's great for digital art but most artist approach it on the level of trying to build a house with only a hammer.
>>
>>2317019
that only applies to hobbyist.
>>
>>2317024
I dunno. You can do photo realistic paintings in it without even touching a brush function. As for the colors. I setting it up correctly is important but when you got the hang of the right profile then you can do some pretty cool stuff with things like gradient filters.

I bet most professionals don't know how to use photoshop properly as a tool.
>>
>>2317029
there is a thing called the manual.
>>
>>2317031
And how is that related to the post you replied to?
>>
File: 295511_1242441393_large.jpg (466 KB, 1373x1626) Image search: [Google]
295511_1242441393_large.jpg
466 KB, 1373x1626
Here's an example of a caricature by Jason Seiler, a similar style to what I'm aspiring to.

I know he uses Photoshop, but is there anything in this image that you think could only have been done in Photoshop?

As a beginner, I think I'll be sticking to the basic hard & soft round brushes, learning how to work with layers and utilize pressure sensitivity. I'd like to think if I got good at those basics, I could pull off somewhat comparable quality to pic related, regardless of which program I use. Thoughts?
>>
>>2316796
Just get Photoshop and start practicing.
>>
>>2317019
Yes, photoshop has everything and artists who use sai or manga studio are just too stupid to learn a proper software. They're very much like applefags.
It's also subscription based and therefore the most expensive art software, but if you can afford it, get it. Or pirate it, whatever suits you.
>>
>>2317443
We don't say pirate. We "YarHar" Photoshop. Plunder is also acceptable.
>>
>>2317043
you coul do it in MS paint if yuo wereautistic enough and had infinite time
>>
>>2316796
Photoshop is not for drawing or painting, and it shows.
It's the best photo-edition software, and you may want to use it for post-production. But everyone who says it's the "best painting software" are just afraid to stop using the tool they've invested so much time into even if it's not the best tool for what they want to do.
>>
>>2317443
Photoshop doesn't have everything.
It doesn't have a reliable drawing tool for starters.
>>
>>2318058
Lol, literally every single top digital painter uses Photoshop. Stop spreading misinformation. Other programs are only superior when it comes to very specific things like linework or painting airbrushes manga stuff.
>>
>>2318061

What do you mean?

I used to use Manga Studio and when I switched over the brush tracking felt a little stiff, but I downloaded Lazy Nezumi and now it handles just as well as in Manga Studio. And there are plenty of brushes available.
>>
>>2318058
moron
>>
File: 1295144957019.jpg (10 KB, 309x270) Image search: [Google]
1295144957019.jpg
10 KB, 309x270
>>2318265
>>2318063

>these faggots think photoshop was made for digital painting

You guys do realize that Photoshop is a photoshop program right? As in, like, the reason for the slang? And that most of it's coding, features, and interface reflects that? And that as a painting program it's pretty run-of-the-mill due to the way it calculates color mixing? And that a huge portion of intermediate-pro artists use a different program to paint and finish in Photoshop because of that?

Hell, sai handles digital painting better then photoshop. PS is great for color corrections and all that crap, and I like the variety of brushes you can get with it, but it was not made to be a painting program and the anon is right. It shows.

Now, if you're talking about 'digital art' program, I'd secede that PS is probably the best. But it's not meant to be a drawing/painting program, and it's not the best one.
>>
>>2318061
sounds like you need to learn how to make your own brushes. It's pretty easy actually and you can draw/paint your own brush heads or cut them out from images, like images of paint stroke patterns.
>>
>>2318268
You still suffer from the handicap of not understanding that it's a program for manipulation of light based on stuff like color theory. It doesn't matter if it's a painting or a photograph. If you want it set up in ways you understand with a traditional paint approach without having to figure out the program too much then there are addons for that.

You and your friends may not like the program since it doesn't focus on your priorities alone but that is not the same as the program being bad for one who can fully use it.
>>
>>2318282
You can waste hours testing with brushes and download stabilizing plugins to make Photoshop do relatively good lineart. Or you can use SAI, CSP or Illustrator and stop trying to get orange juice from an apple.

I "downgraded" from Photoshop CC to Elements+CSP and havent missed CC at all while saving $120.
>>
>>2318285
There is no such handicap, you'd have to be retarded to not figure out additive color right away. Photoshop just shows that it's a clunky photo editing tool when compared to software that is actually designed for painting.
I may have been using PS for longer than you've been alive, and that's why I can accept it stopped evolving almost as soon as others started actually competing with it.
>>
File: 1410469912292.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1410469912292.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
I practice drawing straight lines and circles every morning, like peter han exercises, but I'm seeing zero improvement. It is just impossible to sketch on a regular tablet?
>>
File: EH-R_Krita_prev.jpg (543 KB, 1468x999) Image search: [Google]
EH-R_Krita_prev.jpg
543 KB, 1468x999
What are your thoughts on Krita, guys (and gals)?
>>
>>2318566
>It is just impossible to sketch on a regular tablet?
In Photoshop? Yes.
In SAI, CSP, Krita, SBP or Painter, not at all, git good.

PS is not for drawing, it's for photo manipulation and it's photo manipulation aspects are perfectly fine for painting but really useless for drawing.
>>
>>2319480
Best one so far you can get for the price of nothing.
>>
>>2318566
How much have you been practicing? shit takes time, anon. Not just a few months, most of the time you just don't realize the improvement. Keep doing it, I believe in you!
>>
Is Photoshop CS6 any better than CS3 for painting?
Is CS6 more resource hungry than CS3?
>>
>>2320119
Peter Mohrbacher uses CS 2 or something like that. Someone post that picture of Sheldon Borenstein drawing with a chocolate bar already.
>>
Not OP, but I just got an Intuos tablet. Is it true that there's a brief "what am I doing" period when first trying digital? Not being able to see my hand makes me feel uncoordinated, which results in messy lines. It's like you're even more reliant on muscle memory for certain lines than traditional. And line thickness here is all about pressure and not how you hold the pen, right?
>>
>>2318268
It's not primarily a painting program, but it still is the best program for it. Its brush engine is miles ahead of other programs, and especially with the mixer brush you can do anything Painter or other programs can do. The fact it has all the other stuff for photo manipulation is bonus and really gives levels of control over image making that wasn't possible before.
>>
>>2320258
Yes, it takes a few days to a few weeks to get fully used to the hand/eye disconnect of using a tablet. It will eventually feel completely natural, though you will never have the same control over linework digitally as you do with a physical pencil and paper.

Thickness is mostly about pressure, but I think some pens and brushes detect angle a bit.
>>
File: huh.png (21 KB, 373x526) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
21 KB, 373x526
>>2320290
>Thickness is mostly about pressure, but I think some pens and brushes detect angle a bit.

It's whatever you want it to be, u goofball.
>>
>>2320258
I think that always happens when an artist first switches to using a tablet. Do a figure 8 and trace over it as accurately and quickly as you can. Lots of circle and line practices will help you get over that hump too. gl m8
>>
>>2320119
Photoshop hasn't improoved meaningfully since CS3.
>>
>>2320347
is there any truth to the 'CS3 is free' meme?

Speaking of memes, I just got a Surface Pro 4. The next two weeks will determine if I'm happy drawing on it. If I don't, it's getting sent back
>>
Might as well ask this question here:

Which platform is the best for digital painting - Mac or PC? If PC, how can you best calculate the right build for it? There are plenty of websites about building gaming rigs, but how well does "gaming Rig" translate into "Art Rig?"
>>
>>2320347
CS2 is free, illegally but Adobe offers the download anyway
>>
>>2316796
Drawing and painting is actually BETTER in manga studio.

But for reasons, for overlay coloring, for thousands of ways to draw sloppy and then photoshop it into looking good i switched from manga to PS.

you may well start in manga, it will give you drawing skill, then you move to PS when you feel you need to.
>>
>>2320512
For massive paintings you'll need lots of RAM and a good CPU, don't need a top gaming GPU.
>>
>>2320512
Gaming rigs don't translate well to workstations, since they put a heavy emphasis on the GPU.

Like the other person said: Lots of RAM and a good CPU is most important. An SSD for storage will also be a huge help.

Mac or PC? Both platforms are virtually the same for digital art. I used a Macbook Pro for 5 years and switched over to a PC a year ago. It was a simple transition - just had to get used to slightly different window management. That was pretty much all there was to it. I'd personally recommend a PC, since you can upgrade it far more easily.
>>
>>2320347
It's CS2.
You can download it and it will ask for your license but since the license verification engine is offline, it won't stop you from using the software forever and ever.
Kinda like winrar.

And CS2 is perfectly capable of producing industry-stanard art. Ask Mohrbacher.
>>
>>2321395
Meant to reply to >>2320508
>>
>>2320948
>Drawing and painting is actually BETTER in manga studio.

There's nothing wrong with Photoshop's responsiveness so it sounds like it's just a brush issue and that doesn't have anything to do with photoshop itself.
>>
>>2320961
Most gaming rigs today got a lot of ram (it's cheap) and at least one ssd (I got two in mine).
>>
>>2321421
You're just afraid to realize the money/time you've wasted learning how to brute force photoshop into a painting software.

Photoshop doesn't have line stability, even with brushes designed for linework, a cintiq and the soft felt nib lines come out jaggy. That's why we used to do linework in illustrator.
Photoshop also desaturates colors while blending, making constant color correction necessary. Weights a ton and gets increasingly more demanding on your computer the longer you're working on a piece, is more likely to crash than other painting software, and Adobe have been hiding spyware and scareware into the CS since 3.

The recent backlash on Photoshop as king of the digital painting mountain is not because of noobs enchanted by watercolor brushes, it's people who've been using PS for 10+ years finally finding what we've been looking at for so many years: an actual alternative to this relic.

PSCC is crap for what it costs and how much it demands on your hardware. CSP+Elements is the future. Add zBrush for added artboners.
>>
>>2321655
>Photoshop doesn't have line stability
>Photoshop also desaturates colors while blending, making constant color correction necessary.

I tried looking up both those issues and couldn't find anybody talking about it. Instead I found plugins that can help vectorize your lines (Not something I personally want). For the color blending you might have had reduced opacity or flow in either your file, layer or brush?

I'm not against other softwares and got coral painter as well. But could you at least source these issues? There must have been some discussion about it somewhere with multiple people experiencing issues with color blending. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here as I'm honestly curious.

AS for spyware, even windows have what categorizes as spyware. Not saying it's okay but there is spyware that we get bombarded with on a daily basis and then there is the bad stuff.
>>
>>2321395
That's pretty good if you can get it without having to torrent. Was cs3 a very big improvement? I get the impression cs6 is more bloated?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.