[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the secret to painting landscapes? (I watched bob ross)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: photomountains.jpg (1 MB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
photomountains.jpg
1 MB, 1200x750
What is the secret to painting landscapes?
(I watched bob ross) grass, light, perspective, construction, trees.
Are there any guides to landscape painting?
>>
>>2313816
You just have to feel it.
>>
>>2313816
bob ross paints kitch landscapes. look at the hudson river school, rackstraw downes, shishkin, etc.

practice painting from life, remember atmospheric perspective, get to work
>>
>>2313831
What is the secret to painting grass? It always ends up unnatural if I try to paint it. Not even drawing and shading each individual blade of grass makes sense, it all looks wonky.
>>
>>2313889
don't draw individual blades unless it's a bug's eye view. create a general texture. look at the thumbnail for the thread. the grass is just a field of green with vague texture in some areas.

also don't make it too green, mixing colors for grass usually means using more brown than green.
>>
File: Fi9IRYOy8.jpg (735 KB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fi9IRYOy8.jpg
735 KB, 3840x1080
>>2313889
Study animation backgrounds. Especially Ghibli / Kazuo Oga. They've got an incredible understanding of how to both simplify gras and foliage by using implied detail and of doing very tight high detail areas.
>>
>>2313911
bonerific / 10 !

is that pic part of a set?
>>
>>2313911
>implied detail and of doing very tight high detail areas.
This is key for natural environments. So many people get wrapped up in thinking their blurs of color and values are "implied detail", and don't take the time to flesh out the actual details that are being implied.
>>
>>2313911

Is there like a zip with these or a collection somewhere?
>>
>>2313911
What the shit man. I still dont understand how that grass is painted. What is the process?
Do you go from dark to bright? It looks to me like they painted single blades of grass, but it still looks natural and not fake.
Also how do you calculate light and shadows in an image like that with so many organic shapes?
Literal madness.
>>
>>2313931
that sounds interesting, any examples?
>>
>>2313947
For me it looks like he made individual blades on the areas closer to the viewer, but most of the general area are just variations of values to give the illusion of a grass texture.
>>
File: 1436358712794.jpg (28 KB, 235x242) Image search: [Google]
1436358712794.jpg
28 KB, 235x242
>>2313911
>the intricacy of the shingles fading into abstracted values and hues
Fucking incredible. It feels so effortless, too.
>>
>>2313951
Not readily on hand, but the principle is simple:

Implied detail is something use to cut corners. You don't have to draw every strand of grass when painting grass. Nice textured strokes of varied greens help IMPLY that the green is, in fact, grass. However, it's often important to describe the detail of the grass, as least to a certain degree. That way the viewer has a better idea of what's being implied by the non-descript green strokes.

As >>2313911 pointed out in the image, the artist used areas of refined detail to help describe the textures of different foliage with tight details to help give a sense of what everything is.

The roof of the house is a clear example of this. The shingles on the roof are largely implied. Towards the edge of the roof, the artist renders some highly detailed shingles, but stops as they go up the roof. That's because the details have already been established, and the rest is IMPLIED detail through similar values and colors.

That's why it always irks me when people say that they're trying to imply details without actually using any details to help suggest it.

Hope this helps!
>>
>>2313925
>>2313936
Yeah, there are a couple more.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dbELn
>>
>>2313965
What?
>>
>>2313911
How did he do the grass? There must be some system to his process
>>
>>2313980
>Nice textured strokes of varied greens help
I dont see that ghibli Image using gaudy texture brushes though.
>>
>>2314335
>The roof of the house is a clear example of this. The shingles on the roof are largely implied. Towards the edge of the roof, the artist renders some highly detailed shingles, but stops as they go up the roof. That's because the details have already been established, and the rest is IMPLIED detail through similar values and colors.
As >>2313980 stated. It's very humbling to see detailed, technical skill and suggestive, artistic sensibility look so easy. Especially when you consider how many backgrounds Oga must work on for each project and his preference for traditional media.
>>
There are a lot of "secrets" to a landscape, and they have different qualities based on location.

You're better off hitting up a workshop with a boss, but the beginning bits of a landscape is keeping the value bold close and lighter further out, don't get caught up in detail, colors decrease as range is elongated (first red, then yellow and finally blue.) and have visual balance.

Everything else is more technical, but that should get you started.
>>
>>2313817
You also must beat the devil out of it.
>>
>>2313947
Last thought that might help--I do a lot of oil painting, but I don't like sounding like a know it all, spouting off tons of info on 4chan, etc.

A lot of landscape guys call that "controlled chaos" and it is.

The other thing you guys are on to is simple massing shapes in with the correct hue, value and temperature. Temperature and value will dictate how believable a form is based off its relation to the local color in the light side and shadow side.

Generally speaking, warm lights, cool darks and vice versa, but you have to lighten the value as it recedes. It's tricky business.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.