[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PAAINt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: primary.jpg (7 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
primary.jpg
7 KB, 288x288
Where do i get acrylic paint in London. Preferably only primary colours. Also, what are primary colours exactly. ive got some christmas red and its shit for mixing
>>
>>2310909
>Where do i get acrylic paint in London
fucking google it
>what are primary colours exactly
fucking google it
>>
Magenta-Yellow-Cyan

or

Red-Green-Blue
>>
Every art store in London should have acrylics?? Have you even tried to look for any art store?

As for primary colors, I usually use cadmium red, preussian blue and lemon yellow.
>>
>>2311045
I went to some and choice was shit, thank you for the names tho
>>
Cass arts charing cross road just the road from the national gallery
>>
>>2310909

London can be shitty for finding some things. Good luck finding a bag of potting soil but if you need a panini and a latte you are set. I really can't believe its that hard to find acrylic paint though.
>>
>>2310984
>Green
Lol.
>>
>>2310909

>one of the biggest cities in the world
>cant enter ANY art store in the city
>cant use google

Kill yourself my man
>>
>>2311344
>>2311112
>>
primary colors are the three colors used to formulate every other color: blue, red and yellow. Every color is made up with some mixture of these colors and constantly keeping this in mind will help you observe colors better.

you need 9 colors:

zinc white AND titanium white
black
quinacrindone red (cool)& cadmium red (warm)
cad yellow (cool)& hansa yellow (warm)
cerulean blue (warm) & ultramarine blue (cool)

you'll have one warm and one cool hue for each primary color. this makes mixing color a million times easier and you'll learn mixing much faster this way.

Also, if you can't be bothered to google basic color theory, I doubt you'll bother to actually learn anything. your work will only reciprocate your effort. good luck
>>
>>2311658
Meant to say cerulean blue(cool)&ultra blue(warm)

>whoops
>>
>>2311658
hey man, I'm not OP, but I have a genuine question and you sound like you know your shit: i'm learning to (digitally) paint with colour, and i've been led to believe that red and yellow are warm hues, and blue is cool hue, but in your post you're suggesting there there are reds, yellows, and blues with the opposite temperature??

I googled those colors and yeah, quinacrindone red does look kind of cool compared to cadmium red, but how could making an observation like that help an artist paint with colour more effectively? I'm fairly simple minded, so it sounds like it'd just make things more complicated than it ought to be. Red is red is warm, blue is blue is cool.
>>
>>2311671
Sure. Using an expanded primary pallette does two things: it allows for greatest range of colors while still utilizing the primary palette. In painting there are simply some colors that are difficult to obtain if you don't have the right pigment.

It also helps distinguish different and interesting relationships between color temperatures. Understanding how a secondary or tertiary color can be "warm" or "cool" is a bit easier to grasp and identify if you know that it sits between a cooler or warmer set of primary colors.

Of course you can just use primary red, yellow, and blue. But using expanded primaries allowed for greater range and understanding of color temp.
>>
I should also mention that this practice has limited use in traditional painting because you are not limited by what pigments you have.
>>
>>2311757
Whoops, I meant to say "limited use in digital painting"

>sorry
>tired
>>
>>2311756
thanks man
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.