[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Talent is not a meme, hear me out. At first I too was thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 1446795824096.jpg (250 KB, 869x943) Image search: [Google]
1446795824096.jpg
250 KB, 869x943
Talent is not a meme, hear me out.

At first I too was thinking that "talent" is meaningless in a way that it's not that important compared to hard work. But after months and months of drawing and getting no real progress I started to think, that there are indeed some things that determine our potential. Then I just stopped drawing for a month because I was tired of seeing constant failures and now when I want to go back to it again - I literally cant draw at all. What's the fucking point of learning when you forget everything anyway.Talent is way more important than you think, unfortunately.
>>
Keep telling yourself that. Of course talent is real, you never had a chance in the first place. Don't ever feel bad about yourself, never improve.
>>
>>2309268
"I am a worthless piece of shit who can't study on my own, therefore I've come to the conclusion that it cannot be done and you must be born with the hands of Da Vinci to even draw stick figures." the thread.
>>
>>2309283
>I am worthless piece of illiterate shit who can't understand anything outside my own perception of the world.

ftfy
>>
>>2309293
No the guy is right. OP is lazy and/or studying wrong. Talent is only relevant when differentiating between a professional artist and a master. Anyone, even those without talent, can reach a professional level in art with hard work and the right resources (which we all have thanks to the internet).
>>
>>2309268
>this is how it is for me, so this is how it must be for everyone

Confirmed mongoloid.
>>
>>2309296
Yet only a really small percentage even gets to the point where they can get any money from drawing.
>Anyone, even those without talent, can reach a professional level in art with hard work and the right resources
Not true, while you can find those people, they are almost nonexistent.

The issue is that you only look at succesful people and that makes you think that everyone can be a master with right attitude.
>>
>>2309268
You probably weren't thinking enough about what you were doing. Mindless repetition isn't going to make you better, and may even be reinforcing bad habits. Analyse your drawings and try to understand how they are lacking compared to drawings that you like, then construct a plan of attack. A study regimen or exercise that tackles a single problem at a time. You will end up with a list of things to look out for that you have practiced individually. So if a drawing is failing you go down the list - is it failing at THIS, THIS, or THIS. Figure out which one(s) and correct them.
>>
>>2309268
>What's the fucking point of learning when you forget everything anyway.
You can apply that to anything. Use it or lose it, bitch.
>>
Age also matter for learning. Younger people learn quickly, but that doesn't mean older people can't learn either.

It really takes alot of patience, and the only reason why younger people get good at drawing (other than absorbing information faster) is because they're having fun with their stuff despite it's quality, which means they will draw more, which in turn means they're building a habit of drawing.

I say just find a way to make it fun, and ignore whatever quality you're going through. It won't matter anyway, you're not gonna get any results in improvement until later. And even when you do start to improve, it becomes a snowball effect of improvement, so long as you're drawing and studying different subjects.
>>
stop it, talent does not exist, we work hard to get good every single day like with any other discipline. we go through periods where it seems like we're not improving enough, but we keep at it. I find it very insulting to just invalidate artists' hard work saying ohh they're just good because they have talent and practically were born painting like Bouguereau. Every artist starts drawing like shit,If you want to get good you just can't stop practicing for a month and expect to be at the same level you were before, that's not how it works. what have you been drawing these months exactly?, have you even paid attention to what you're studying?. If you really want to get good you have to be aware of what you are doing, study the fundamentals, learn from the old masters, practice gestures, analitycal figure drawing, progress is slow, but it's a discipline, keep at it,stop blaming it on talent and never stop drawing.
>>
>>2309319
Whenever I hear this "we" shit, it's like you're already building a wall over beginner artists, who's just frustrated with his work and looking for a reason why things don't work.

Nice of you feel superior for being an artist. OP is still an artist, inexperienced is all, dipshit.

Anyway, OP, it's true though, that talent is more of a bullshit thing. Sure, there's a thing for natural talent, but that can only go so far, even so people just study and draw draw away.

Don't even bother concerning how things look right now. For a few months, just draw what you find fun, and do it plenty. When you feel confident later, just start studying bit by bit. Improvement is slow, but once it starts, you improve faster and faster. If you start feeling uncomfortable drawing something new, learn to take that as a good thing, it leads to improvement, etc.
>>
>>2309268
I wish I could be this delusional
>>
If you don't challenge yourself you don't change. It's as simple as that, to everything not just art.

If you challenge yourself with useless things, you're gonna get good at useless thing, and after all you're gonna still be useless.

That's why it's not about talent or effort, the most important thing is understanding how to be efficient, training smart, consistently and having fun as fuel.

I'm still tring to get to something close to that, but I'm getting better as I'm learning a lot of different things.

Your potential is mostly determined by your IDIOTIC ideas about where your potential is, the fact you believe there's a limit creates your own limits right there.

Not being stucked on a retard mentallity is all you need.
>>
The possibility that you have a handicap does not negate anyone else's hard work.
>>
>>2309304
>everyone ignores this post

YOU are delusional, oh the irony
>>
>>2309304
>Yet only a really small percentage even gets to the point where they can get any money from drawing.
The world only needs so many artists.
If everyone and their mother tried to be an accountant, very few of those would be making real money either.
>>
>>2309335
>>2309335
>>2309335
>>2309335

this
>>
File: 1407353405463.jpg (55 KB, 459x534) Image search: [Google]
1407353405463.jpg
55 KB, 459x534
Of course talent is real

Most pros I talk to have had very natural learning cycles.

It is desire to improve that leads us.

Once you figure out which end of the pencil to use it is up to your personality (talent) how far you'll go.

>>2309335
yolo
>>
>>2309344
That means that only few people actually make it, so OP is not wrong.
>>
>>2309354
Who makes it has nothing to do with talent though. In fact, some of the most successful artists in the industry are the ones /ic/ ironically considers to be talentless hacks.
>>
>But after months and months
I'm not going to argue the talent point, but you are aware that you can study wrong, right? Everyone learns differently, not everyone has the same habits and if you approach something the wrong way, you are simply not going to pick up on it. You can see this happening in schools all the time. I don't mean high level shit, I mean the shit kids learn. The ones who do bad are easy to call retarded, but if you sit them down and show them a different way to think about problems, they usually get it and stop sucking ass at the class they were doing bad in. Keep telling them the same shit over and over again and it is not going to register with them, no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Are you sure you're studying in a way that benefits you, OP?
>>
>>2309303
Spoken like somebody who hasn't played dark souls.
>>
File: 14380901183478.jpg (75 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
14380901183478.jpg
75 KB, 601x601
>>2309376
This.

>mfw I spent 2 years studiying the wrong way
>mfw I forced myself through this shit because I had this retarded "HURR IRON DISCIPLINE WILL GET ME SOMEWHERE"-attitude
>mfw I wasted 2 precious years of my life making almost NO progress
>>
>>2309453
Can you share with your latest work?
>>
>>2309460
I don't want to

It is fucking shite

I am actually planning to burn all my old drawings tomorrow so I do not get reminded of my wasted time
>>
>>2309469
>I am actually planning to burn all my old drawings tomorrow so I do not get reminded of my wasted time
keep one or two at least so in the future you can compare and see progress
>>
>>2309469
Ehh, I was hoping you made any actual progress
>>
>>2309453
>mfw I didn't draw for 4 years
>improved
>>
>>2309268
This board is filled with underage shits who dont actually understand a thing about art. How many of them are actually making any money? Dont bother with this place.
>>
>>2309268
>>2309677
no
>>
>>2309683
most definitely.
>>
>>2309268
small time, I drawed for years, would spet all day long trying every single different approach to this and I still can't draw shit.
>>
>>2309268
>I'm doing it wrong so talent doesn't exist
This is your logic.
>>
>>2309469
>I am actually planning to burn all my old drawings tomorrow so I do not get reminded of my wasted time

Is this actually a common thing? That people have absolutely no fun while drawing and just do it for the vague purpose of getting better and if that doesn't happen, they feel that they wasted their time?

Drawing is a recreational activity for fuck's sake. People who become professional artists are those who loved drawing enough that they were perfectly happy with putting in the hours that were necessary to become a professional. Why on earth would you pick up art and try to get good at it without having any passion for it whatsoever?
>>
>>2309750
It's usually people who like to draw for fun but know they suck, so when they want to get better they do some research and see people say to grind at studies and copy out hundreds of anatomy plates and treat art like a numbers game where you strive to hit 10k hours of practicing boring studies. They are told you must suffer and do hard work and that's how you get good. So they try it and then after copying things mindlessly for months and trying to follow along with some instructional book they burn out and lose interest because that is not the type of thing that got them interested in art in the first place.
>>
how do your forget what you didn't know how to do in the first place
>>
>>2309268
>drew for a few months and stopped
>after a while couldn't draw
Well no fucking shit, anon. You think Yngwie Malmstein just one fucking day picked up a stratocaster and knew how to play fucking Rising Force?

This isn't measured in days and weeks, it's measured in months and years. What you see when you look at an artists work isn't just a fluke, you're looking at the result of insurmountable sacrifice of time and effort to get to where they are. If you don't want to put in the time or the effort then just quit but don't try to justify it saying that you couldn't because of something dumb like talent.
>>
Talent is real, "lack of talent" is a shit excuse.

Drawing is a skill anyone can learn. Some will find it more intuitive and learn faster (IE 'talented' people), but saying "I'm not talented and that's why I'm not succeeding" is a shitty attitude that's just wilfully ignoring the actual faults that are preventing your improvement. "It can't be me DOING something wrong, I must have been born this way."
>>
>>2309453
>I took one person/website/book's advice as gospel and refused to seek anything else out on my own
>I was incapable of developing my own study habits
>I failed to challenge myself and now I wasted time
>>
>>2309502

I always find I improve after long breaks. Not THAT long, but I tend to do almost no art all year then have a period of like 3 months where I basically go into heat or something and can't help but spend pretty much every waking moment on it. I suck from rustiness for a few days which lights a fire under my ass, I get the juices flowing which is near instant gratification, I study and swap old habits for newer better ones, improve a bunch, level out a bit, blow my load, have a ciggy, then go into art hibernation again.
Hard to pick up bad habits with that pattern, easy to digest new information.
By comparison, an entire childhood of forced daily piano practice has done little but cement that I'll probably never be competent enough to even annoy the shit out of party guests with obligatory and endless amateur renditions of Fur Elise, both due to bad habits and simply learned aversion.

The moral of the story; being a hobbyist is killer. I weep for actual students and aspiring professionals.
To my fellow hobbyists or even uber beginners still just testing the waters: fucking relax. Go at your own pace and by your own learning style. You have the advantage of being able to approach this however you damn please, use it.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.