[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making a palette/swatch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8
File: 64pal_v8 Collage.gif (9 KB, 640x257) Image search: [Google]
64pal_v8 Collage.gif
9 KB, 640x257
So I just started working with digital media a month ago, I have lots of experience with traditional media and I'm overwhelmed by the color choices.

I'm planning to make a palette/swatch to narrow down the options like choosing colors from a box of painting, anyone has tried the same before or has been in a situation like mine?
I have several different palettes from different sources like pic related and I plan to narrow them down as preferences develope.
>>
bump
>>
Well if you have experience in traditional media, try and think about color in the same way. You don't really have to mix colors in digital media, you just select what color you want. Obviously you can layer things and blend, but it's different from traditional media in that the steps aren't
>find what color you want
>mix that color
>apply paint
but is instead
>find what color you want
>apply paint
I would caution you to stay away from swatches like the ones you're posting, as all it's really going to do is keep all the color you're going to use super local and unobserved.
>>
>>2308645
I don't think too many people lay out their entire palette before beginning a painting. The most common technique I've seen is to pick your colors with the color picker (the slider/wheel with the hue and a box with the saturation and value range of the hue) and use the eye dropper to sample colors you've already used from the painting. Ctrl+Paint advocates building up a mini-palette on a separate layer and actually mixing the colors to get new ones. I think the first method is superior, but the second is closer to real paints. Some people even use the RGB sliders.

When I first started I had the same idea you did, but it's not worth the effort unless you need a consistent color scheme. Picking any color takes 2 clicks, and sampling a color you've painted takes a control+click. Learning what colors to pick is probably better than narrowing down your options.

Also, assuming your software supports multiple open images, there's nothing stopping you from opening some photos or paintings you like and grabbing colors from it. That's probably the option you're looking for if you want a palette to get started, as they're already be sensibly arranged and work well together.
>>
File: palette.png (3 KB, 185x131) Image search: [Google]
palette.png
3 KB, 185x131
>>2309078
Well, I learned on screen mixing from Ctrl+paint and it made me really happy, in a painting I made I took a palette from colorpalettes dot net, mixed each color with each other and got pic related, I really enjoyed doing it and I really enjoyed the final effect but:
>as all it's really going to do is keep all the color you're going to use super local and unobserved.
Is a really concerning argument because now I feel I was not thinking about colors properly when working with traditional.

>>2309091
>unless you need a consistent color scheme
Actually I got the idea of having a personal palette from pixel artists who use them to have a consistent aesthetic across all their work, the pic I used for the OP is the palette of Arne Jansen and Here you can see the palette at work androidarts.com/palette/64pal_v8%20Collage.gif

Dunno what to do now but I'll give other color methods a try.
>>
>>2309189
pixel art palettes are usually to impose the same limits of the system they're trying to imitate the look of.
>>
Kind of off topic, but how do i into digital coloring? Should I learn traditional coloring first or should i study color theory or colors from pics? I have absolutely no feel for color as it is and can't even do skin tones.
>>
File: Untitled.png (101 KB, 816x844) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
101 KB, 816x844
There's a program called ColourConstructor which is really nice for color.
You can choose a light color, ambient light, local color, etc, and it makes a palette for you with that stuff in mind.
>>
>>2309707
I know but some people like pic related have created their own palettes not based on any system.

>>2310135
What kind of practive do you already have?
>>
File: 64pal_v8 Collage.gif (298 KB, 640x5120) Image search: [Google]
64pal_v8 Collage.gif
298 KB, 640x5120
>>2310204
forgot pic
>>
File: 18.png (276 KB, 1192x1130) Image search: [Google]
18.png
276 KB, 1192x1130
>>2310204
I know some cross hatching but it doesn't come out well in digital, other than that i know next to nothing
>>
File: basics.png (350 KB, 799x1108) Image search: [Google]
basics.png
350 KB, 799x1108
>>2310374
>>2310204
I also know some stuff about reflective light and hard shadows vs dark
Sorry about pic size
>>
>>2310374
>>2310376
hu, I think its too early for you to care about color, go do some figure drawing and b&w studies.
>>
File: uvpalette-demo.png (720 B, 512x128) Image search: [Google]
uvpalette-demo.png
720 B, 512x128
bump
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.