[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a painting whose stretchers are smashed and when I lift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 51616.jpg (62 KB, 1150x863) Image search: [Google]
51616.jpg
62 KB, 1150x863
I have a painting whose stretchers are smashed and when I lift the painting the painting twists in half. Should it be thrown away?
>>
>>2306250
Pop the canvas off and re-stretch it?
>>
Is the painting going to collapse when it comes off the stretchers?

I'll need a special staple gun that I don't have.

I wonder if the whole thing is going to crack in two.
>>
>>2306263
What medium is it?
>>
half an inch thick oil
>>
>>2306269
I don't paint oils but wtf. I didn't think they could get that thick.
>>
>>2306269
Post a pic of this painting. i seriously wanna see it
>>
>>2306364
I'd rather not.

Do I un-pin it? throw it away?

What more should I get rid of?
>>
>>2306426
Honestly just get rid of it it's just one painting... And half an inch thick paint either looks fantastic or terrible but it's probably somewhere in between. It's just one painting don't sweat it
>>
>>2306442
If it's an important painting just go to someone who makes frames and ask them to help you.
>>
does any one know what happens when a painting is framed? Is it removed from the stretchers the canvas came with?
>>
>>2306485
No. The frame is inserted on top. Google it
>>
Post the stretcher, you may be able to just reinforce it in place. 1/2in oils can be fairly hard to restretch, but I've done it with 3/4in impasto. Just be extremely gentle removing it from the bars, be sure to remove your fasteners in a equal manner (one from top, one from bottom, one from left, one from right, etc) to minimize stress. Be extremely ginger when rest retching!
>>
>>2306790
yeah I probably could use some of the broken stretchers from the paintings I took apart to stop it flapping about.

Either way it's not being touched or finished at any foreseeable time.

I want to make a really good job of it but the whole thing is a total misery at the moment.
>>
just re stretch the canvas?? unless it a piece of shit craft store canvas, throw it away. Start buying real canvas and prime it with gesso. And I suggest painting with acrylic as a beginner, oil is more difficult to handle
>>
Stretchers are just pieces of wood. The actual painting is the image on the canvas. You can re-stretch it on canvas or even stretch over a wood panel glued with rabbit skin glue (or something humane), and you'll preserve the painting of you really want to.
>>
>>2307242
if its that hopeless maybe you could pay an expert to do it for you?
>>
>>2307242
Yes it would appear to be. I think the thing is as it's all not very good it's to leave it.

break them up, bag it up and get rid of them and forget all about it.

I was speaking to dad and he was saying that I put too much into it, and it is like as my art fails, my life fails.

"don't sell them you'll never get their value" as evidenced by their lack of popularity

and it's making me unhappy.

I unceremoniously dumped all of them in the spare room , probably damaged even more, there we go.

it didn't work out like what I thought
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.