[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just tell me how to paint and draw like Dave Rapoza. God dammit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12
File: 1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png
29 KB, 633x758
Just tell me how to paint and draw like Dave Rapoza. God dammit just tell me all the steps and i'll do it.
>>
Alright.

http://hubpages.com/art/how-to-draw-learn
https://sites.google.com/site/ourwici/

have fun!
>>
>>2304434
do you really believe any of that garbage?
>>
>>2304424
Do a shit ton of studies and creative work. Repeat for years. There's no magic shortcut.

I remember him before he was famous, he was known as Mr Delicious and hammered out page after page of Bridgman and Loomis and stuff in his CA sketchbook. The guy always has had insane work ethic.
>>
File: schedule.jpg (167 KB, 1000x676) Image search: [Google]
schedule.jpg
167 KB, 1000x676
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=E06DB73ECC23E4EF!679&ithint=file%2codt&app=Word&authkey=!AD8ifQUs5NTi40Y
no coming back until you git gud
>>
>>2304424
its no the method anon, its your brain, humans are programmed to be lazy you have to fight your inner self, this is a life choice and our minds cant wrap around the logic of this taking a very long time... or go to jail and then when you have no other choice but to draw you will draw kek
>>
>>2304442
I might actually try this. What does it mean by work cram, just any kind of paid work?
>>
I don't think it's possible guys. Dave Rapoza is like top 1% of working professionals right now. You might get somewhere with studying as hard as he did, but there's something in his brain that just clicks and makes him better than nearly everyone else. And to think he's not even 30 years old and is getting his feet wet in animation now.
>>
>>2304457
>guy works incredibly hard for years
>it must be talent

Fuck off
>>
>>2304457
He's the top 1%, but he also worked harder than 99.9% of the others. I think all the old images from his CA days are gone, but if you saw them you would see that he was working far harder daily than anyone on /ic/ ever has, and he kept it up for years.
>>
File: I dont know.png (119 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
I dont know.png
119 KB, 384x313
>>2304460
People really don't believe in talent? It's literally right there, he's like 28 or 29 and has produced better work than most artists, even those who are like double his age. There's so few people we can reference that are amazing, because they're in a position where it takes something more than sheer grinding to achieve what they have, especially in such a short time like Dave.
>>
>>2304469
A lot of people don't believe in talent. It's not something that can easily be measured or even have a consistent definition.

Or they dislike when hard work is passed off as talent because it dismisses the massive amount of effort that was put in.
>>
>>2304442

I should make a schedule.
>>
>>2304436

>garbage
>>
>>2304460

Stop acting like talent and hard work are mutually exclusive.
Some people get more benefit from the same amount of work than others. If you work harder AND you've got a good predisposition to learning the subject matter, you'll excel more.

There are skills some people are just 'naturals' at. It doesn't mean they popped out of the fucking womb excellent at it, it means they catch on faster.
>>
>>2304442

links to the videos mentioned in that link? CGMA 2011 videos?
>>
>>2304442
This has reminded me how badly I need to fix my schedule. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>2304442

Anyone know of a good schedule maker/manager?
>>
>>2304746

openoffice calc
>>
2nd test

>>>/mu/60787634
>>
>>2304469
Ironically, Dave himself would tell you that you are a faggot loser and that he has worked ten times harder than you ever did in your entire life.

It's funny that people of your ilk NEVER put in the same amount of time and effort as those they deem talented. Dave worked his ass off for years, drawing 10+ hours a day, doing livestreams every day, talking to professional artists, doing very focused studying and applying those studies with a clear goal in mind etc.

Sure, maybe he is talented, but anyone who is not literally brain damaged would also be very good in their own way if they had put in the exact same mileage.
>>
File: 2714007-bawww.jpg (13 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
2714007-bawww.jpg
13 KB, 500x259
>>2304812
Dave Rapoza is my hero though, if he called me a faggot I'd probably kill myself.
>>
>>2304863
Be a man and stop idolizing some guy who happens to be popular at this moment in time. It's not healthy to let someone have that much power over you.
>>
Just pointing out that his old CA.org sketchbook is still up, look at his earliest stuff
( CA )/forums/showthread.php/67096-Mr-Delicious-loves-art-(Full-on-Body-Contact)
>>
>>2304442

Is this the mom's basement-dweller schedule?
How do you pay rent with this? Or afford all the shit from that one drive? You need a job to do that. This entire post is useless...
>>
>>2304895
I think that's dave's schedule and i think he went NEETmode for a year or so.
>>
>>2304896
He was still working some freelance which is why it says "work cram" every day.
>>
>>2304746

Just use excel / its alternatives. I use google sheets, and save it to my google drive so I can access my schedule on my phone.

Just plot out your day in half hour chunks and have at it.
>>
Stop looking at people and judging their skill by their age. Instead you should compare their skill with the amount of study they've put in
I'm sure you'll find a neat graph in your search proving that study leads to increased knowledge
>>
Posting this because I'm sure it will help and motivate you guys too:
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/KBKCxXm8/file.html

It's from his gumroad bog witch tutorial extras. He even call this "Tutorial Disclaimer.mp4" the "real tutorial". After listen to this I felt inspired to draw.
>>
>>2304874
>tfw his earliest stuff is still miles better than my stuff
Why should I even try?
>>
>>2304911
On mobile. Can't download. What does he say?
>>
>>2304911
is this link safe?
>>
>>2304944
>http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/KBKCxXm8/file.html

Thanks for the virus anon. posting from my tamagotchi.
>>
>>2304948
It`s safe, good god! Stop scaring the anons
>>
>>2304944
Yes.

>>2304942
He talks about how he started, how he started to improve, learned to practice, his journey. It's really inspiring. I'm pretty sure at some point of this video you will relate somehow.
>>
>>2304911
>http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/KBKCxXm8/file.html
What year is this from? Listening to it now. Thanks for posting.
>>
>>2304977
2014 or this year, if I'm not mistaking. You are welcome.
>>
>>2304874
Dude why don't you just post the actual link?
>>
>>2304424
Choose one thing to learn. Try until you git good. Don't give up.
> years later... You are good? So try a new thing.
>>
>>2304911
Great Video
>>
>>2304812
And he worked that hard for his art goals because he had the right chemistry in his brain which is called talent.

Two people have the exact same goal and share the exact same enthusiasm for it. After 10 years the laid back dreamer guy is not anywhere near the goal while the hard working guy far exceeded it. No matter how you look at it the hard working guy is genetically more gifted since he was able to work hard and break all limits. It doesn't matter if the laid back guiy was a genius from birth gifted with incredible aspects to become a great artist. He is still untalented and genetically inferior since he lacked the very fundament to make the three grow.

Since you aren't able to sit down in your free time and work extremely hard at your goal you're simply lacking talent. Drawing doesn't affect your brain like it affects a talented person. It makes them feel good, it makes them want to draw all the time and work hard. The chemistry is just right for them to always come back for more. Nothing else affects their brain as much as drawing does. This is called talent.
>>
>>2305442
Okay so you're defining talent as a propensity for hard work and an ability to stay motivated?

Cool. That's not the definition that anyone else uses and thus not the definition being argued against here.
>>
File: fat fedora.jpg (38 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
fat fedora.jpg
38 KB, 479x720
>>2304911
>the Crimson Daggers
>>
>>2305442
Um i think that's called habit mate, an acquired habit, not some brain defect.
>>
>>2305447
>Okay so you're defining talent as a propensity for hard work and an ability to stay motivated?
No. That's just one aspect of it.

Obviously even if a hundred guys work the exact same time at the same conditions the difference in skill will be extremely huge anyway. Thank god everyone is individual and equality only exists as a social construct.
>>2305457
A habit and a characteristic are not the same thing. You can make it a habit to draw every day but you can't make it a habit to love drawing every second you're doing it and following your goals with a burning passion. And even then a habbit is fragile and easily broken trough all kind of circumstances. Virtue will be always with you.
>>
>>2305442
>( CA )/forums/showthread.php/67096-Mr-Delicious-loves-art-(Full-on-Body-Contact)

This is self-defeating nonsense. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful thing.

For years I struggled to do a couple of hours. Eventually I got up to 8-12. Then I realised that even this was basically nothing. It is about intensity, it has to be extreme and all consuming.

There are people who will be so disadvantaged that they are unable to do this, but most of us are not them.

Can confirm with a shit brain, autism/attention problems working your ass off to extremes is still absolutely possible. Either one day you will admit to yourself what needs to be done or you won't.

I actually think the biggest advantage Dave had was his court case for theft that cut him off from conventional work when he started. It is amazing what a difficult life situation can drive you to do.
>>
>>2305496
Only with art you see that level of delusion. In sports or in sciences talent is acknowledged.

When a pro says everyone can become like him with enough work it's in no way an objective statement as he can't experience life from any other perspective than himself. Also a public opinion is very likely not reflecting a person's real thoughts. Being humble and encouraging is in fact the most common and safest way to stay out of trouble.
>>
>>2304442
I might try this shit. I'm doing nothing but dedicating all myself to drawing (and selling watercolor paintings to plebs).
>>
>>2305447
You tryna say blacks ain't got no talent boy?
>>
File: 1448955354253.jpg (21 KB, 356x358) Image search: [Google]
1448955354253.jpg
21 KB, 356x358
>>2304424
>have drawn your whole life
failed
>have gone to expensive art school
failed
>have really sweet tech and resources to do it
failed

have a nice day, and bag that for me please.
>>
>>2304424
it's just not that easy, buddy!
>>
>>2305496
BINGO. If you're a newbie completely ignore this post and run your head face first into the wall. If you have it you won't even listen to what I'm saying. That's the only way you'll know.

>Don't bother about whether or not you have it. Just assume that you do, and then forget about it. Talent is a word we use after someone has become accomplished. There is no way to detect it before the fact... or to predict when or if mastery will click into place. (Richard Schmid)

The most amazing thing is that we have a physical record showing that this art game is more than just math. Dave Rapoza's pal Dan Warren. If you look at this dichotomy and think if you just study 14 hours a day you'll magically be able to produce pieces like ruan jia you're a fucking sap. The only people that say its ONLY hardwork are delusional pros and beginners that cant even draw a fucking box. Hardwork is just the base requirement. It's like asking a fully functioning person with legs to walk and thinking its a big fucking deal.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-678.html

"over 6,000 hours" and this guy has barely improved in terms of professional requirements.

Anyone with an ounce a talent wouldn't listen to anything I'm saying though. Run your head into the wall and see if your brains splatter.
>>
>>2304442
>Draw or Lie schedule

Don't fall for this, whatever you do.
>>
>>2305972
What's so unbelievable about it? It's only 3 hours of study, 3 hours of work, and the rest of the day after 5 or so free drawing time. How is that in any way unreasonable? It doesn't even start excessively early, it starts at 9:30 most people have to be at work by 8.
>>
File: seriously.png (57 KB, 313x281) Image search: [Google]
seriously.png
57 KB, 313x281
>>2305937

BREAKING NEWS: a recent survey of several people doing the thing showed that some of those people didn't do the thing as efficiently as others
>>
Am I the only one who doesn't think he's that good or really like his art?
>>
>>2306006
sHOW ME SOMEONE WHO IS BETETER
>>
>>2305525
it's really sad that there are people on this board with this kind of mentality, but i guess that's what anime and videogames do to a young mind
>>
>>2306006

nope
>>
>>2306153
It's not a mentality. Talent exists and it's a fact. If this fact influences your mentality this is your own weakness. If you need to live in a delusion to keep your mentality from harm this is your own weakness.

That you brought up anime and video games out of nowhere seems to be some kind of projecting or other nonsense, it's completely irrelevant to this topic.
>>
>>2306153
Do you remember when Greg Cappulo said talent exists on twitter? It was a shitstorm.
>>
File: 1438398286194.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1438398286194.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>2305442
Are you seriously trying to argue that personal motivation and work ethic is determined before you're born?
>>
>>2306176
Are you seriously implying talent is completely determined by genetics? Environmental influences in your most potent years is pretty much the biggest factor next to genetics for development. How can such delusion even exist on 4chan? Listening to the tumblr leftist scum that everyone is equal and that such a thing as talent doesn't exist instead of facing the world as it is at face value.
>>
>>2306183
Every dictionary defines talent as something that is natural and innate and so does 4chan

Maybe some people do have a certain gift for spacial reasoning or a logical grasp of values but that is not a substitute for hard work, and work ethic has to be learned
>>
>>2306189
Talent is natural. That you need certain influences and opportunities to make use of it is obvious. "Hard work" is as vague as talent itself. You will find a lot of people that work hard but you won't find any two people that work the exact same. That's because the chemistry in every individual brain is unique. Even if two people live the exact same the chemistry in their brains will still be completely different. Natural ability exists and /ic/ is progressively denying it while places like /sci/ completely embrace that fact.
>>
>>2306157
I heard him say that on a podcast and he explained it as having a fire inside that urged you to draw. Basically having the motivation to keep drawing, not being some kind of savant.
>>
>>2305525
That's because being successful at art doesn't require incredible genetics, you fucking moron. It's more akin to any other regular craft, where you just require a basic degree of competence and skill, you don't have to be part of an elite percentage to be a professional artist.

Only in art do you have defeatist losers like yourself. You won't see a fucking electrician or carpenter or mason apprentice be like "it's not my fault I suck, I'm just not talented enough!"

Either you are genuinely mentally or physically handicapped and do indeed lack the basic brain capacity or motor functions to learn and understand simple concepts, or you are a lazy, defeatist loser. Only those 2 things can prevent you from getting good at art. If you want to be great, a master, then sure, you do need a special combination of intelligence and work ethic that we can call talent, but that is an entirely different thing as just getting moderately good at it to the point where you can make a living with your art.
>>
>>2306259
All that baseless misinformation that are founded on nothing. That being incredible at art is something everything can do as long as you're totally average, which was never the point or relevant at all. Continuing to tons of ad hominem and a lack of composure in general.

You even added tons of things that were never said like me believing talent exists because I suck at art. That your kind can only argue with shitposts is no secret but how can you write down your post in such manner, with tons of misinformation, insults and plain lies and think you still have a point?

Such bandwagoning people like you are the reason this place stagnates.
>>
>>2305937

I did intend to convey that it has little to do with the hours you put in. That was kind of the point.

Though it feels a bit mean spirited to discuss I think the example of Dan vs Dave just demonstrates the point that beyond hours it is about working at your highest intensity and upon on the scariest, hardest problems. That isn't "talent."

Dan's understanding of form is weaker, linear, structural, conceptual painted form. I can't prove he isn't frantically studying every aspect of form and failing, but I would claim he has avoided it. So did I for a long time, so does everyone, it is the most difficult, frustrating and beneficial broad set of problems you can and should go for earliest.

I love Dan's complex 2d designs, but bang for buck Dave's focus on the frustrating problems of rendering, then linear form over the years have carried him further. Just pick the things that terrify you.
>>
>>2305937

Paint like Ruan Jia with enough work is hyperbolic, you could paint like yourself.

Ruan Jia must be a smart guy, if he figured this stuff out on his own it is very impressive.

His recent paintings show a clear understanding of the physics of light effecting color that many artists don't grasp unless taught.

He went heavily into form early too though...
>>
I just checked out this Dave Rapoza and his work looks great. Do you think he could achieve the same results with Procreate ir would this require Photoshop?
>>
File: GODDAMNITDAVE.jpg (16 KB, 646x470) Image search: [Google]
GODDAMNITDAVE.jpg
16 KB, 646x470
>tfw I will never paint an album cover for Lazerhawk
Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>2306176

I'm not him but it more or less is. Genetics play a huge role in most things and work ethic is among them.
>>
>>2306352
>work ethic is among them
[citation needed]
>>
>>2306284
>That being incredible at art is something everything can do as long as you're totally average

Are you fucking retarded or just unable to read? I specifically said that in order to be great at art, you do need exceptional intelligence, work ethic and what can be called talent.

My point was that being competent enough at art to make it your living is not something that requires any exceptional talent, let alone the need to be genetically gifted like professional athletes that you mentioned.
>>
he has a gumroad with his process
>>
Talent is a useless fucking word. There's intelligence, hard work, and skill. That's absolutely it. Talent doesn't fit anywhere between there, there's no room for a magic 4th element. Skill is a result of hard work and intelligent problem solving. What people are mistaking for 'lack of talent' is really just 'lack of problem solving ability'. People who work hard and don't get anywhere don't have the critical thinking skills to advance as fast as others. That's it. No vague pseudo-scientific rambling about 'brain chemistry'. You could say genetics still has some bearing on intelligence, but really that's just saying if you're stupid you're fucked. No shit captain obvious, has nothing to do with 'talent'.
>>
>>2306352
Then how come people are able to change their work ethic and make a conscious choice to better themselves? Dave Rapoza was a lazy fuck, a deadbeat highschool dropout. Anyone who looked at him during that time of his life would have thought he was someone who'd never amount to anything.

Did he change his genetic code or something and suddenly became a hard working, gifted artist? Either you do something, you work towards a certain goal, or you don't. Everyone makes that choice every single day anew. Like how I'm going to make this choice right now by hiding this shit thread and going back to drawing.
>>
>>2306375
The point from the very beginning was to make clear that talent exists. The amount of talent you need to become exceptional is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
>>2306385
The problem is that /ic/ brainwashed the people that talent is magic like described in your post. Talent is merely that certain affinity with a skill. It is indeed incredibly vague, the same as "hard work", "intelligence" and all those other shallow words used to describe the requirements to aquire a skill.
>>
>>2304622
this
>>
>>2304451
This.
>>
>>2304863
Dave Rapoza's my hero too, but I'd call him a faggot if he called me one.
>>
People on here just have no balls. There is never someone going "I'm talented as fuck" for motivation. It's always beta losers going "talent doesn't matter/doesn't exist I will just work hard" and proceed to be lazy as fuck anyway.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.