[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if i put this in my college application portfolio how fucked am i?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: fucked.png (346 KB, 445x578) Image search: [Google]
fucked.png
346 KB, 445x578
feedback pls
>>
>>2304267
It might vary slightly depending what college it is and what program, but usually this is NOT the type of thing that they look for in portfolios.

Most programs actually list out stuff they want to see--mostly it is life drawing and other observational work. Digital is (often though not always) a no-no. If you do some googling you can usually find examples of portfolios that got accepted into the program you are aiming for, and you can see what things they included and what score they got.

I also don't think it is a good idea to use existing IPs in your portfolio as it shows no creativity.
>>
>>2304267
not fucked? include some observational work, as well as some figure drawing. show a willingness to work through mistakes and a penchant for learning. best way to do that is with traditional work.
>>
>>2304267
If you aren't doing enough work to have more choices than this for your portfolio, then I wish you good luck, because school does nothing for the lazy.

Don't waste your money, anon. Either lock away all your other hobbies and start taking art seriously, or start thinking that art is a hobby, and go to school for a different major.
>>
File: Robot_Garbage_Can_by_Com40.png (299 KB, 606x864) Image search: [Google]
Robot_Garbage_Can_by_Com40.png
299 KB, 606x864
>>2304282
oh come now. i submitted this to my portfolio for art school and got in. at some point they just want money to keep the school running. whether you take it seriously isn't a priority for the school outside of getting you to graduate.
>>
>>2304271
>>2304272
graphic design btw.
i have drawings and i'm lacking in other type of portfolios, im choosing between 2 colleges but one of them have the due way faster than i thought it is so i need to send asap.
should i send this one?
>>
>>2304267
Obviously not perfect, but it's fine. But, like other anons have said, this sort of thing usually isn't the focus, though that depends on the specific school. Do as >>2304271 says.
>>
>>2304284
i can't speak on graphic design. i think there might be another 4chan board that focuses on that maybe try them? i don't know how well an illustration portfolio works for a graphic design application.

unrelated but my sister is a packaging designer starting out in the industry and one of the things she ran into was requests from her employers to do illustration work, even though that wasn't what they hired her for. So it's not necessarily a bad thing to learn how to draw. But like I said, i don't know.
>>
>>2304283
this one im applying is kind of prestigious.
>>2304282
guess im fucked then
>>
>>2304283
My comment wasn't about the school accepting you, it was about you wasting your time and money by thinking that the degree means anything.

The only ways school is going to actually help you are

- Giving you time to focus on and study art (if you are lazy, this will be wasted)

- Feedback/competition with other students (assuming that they don't just let any swinging dick in, otherwise you'll look studious when you're actually lazy.)

- Connections with people that you could possible swing into opportunities. (But seeing as how your school will take anyone, it's going to be a needle in a haystack to find the person who was disciplined enough to make it.)

There is hugely ignorant mindset that Art is like other fields of work, where getting the degree proves you have what it takes to work. Go ahead and go to school, turn in half-assed assignments, make a B. In the end, you got about 30 seconds to impress an art director, and you have to do so more than any of the other people applying to that position, and he probably will never ask where you went to school.
>>
>>2304291
Most people are. Even the ones that go to nice schools.

The skill floor for an art career is insanely high. Ask any art director, there isn't a lack of portfolios, there is a lack of GOOD portfolios.
>>
>>2304308
hey man your preaching to the choir. i went to some shit school and left to do independent study.

time to focus on art is easier when you aren't doing school assignments that aren't actually teaching you anything

feedback/competition isn't useful when everyone tells you you are doing great. /ic/ has been more helpful to me in that respect.

connections is the one thing that i struggle with, but the few friends I made in school have helped me immensely. I even got into an art show curated by one of my buddies who seems to be pretty successful now

its such a case by case basis it's hard to give suggestions. these threads always pop up once in a while and i try not to post in them because it's all so divisive. take it seriously, you'll do fine. be lazy, you'll have to find a different career. in that respects it's like other careers.
>>
If you're worried just remove the logo and paint out the lightsaber with a spear
>>
>>2304267
don't put fanart in your college portfolio

i wipe my hands of this

done and done

/thread
>>
>>2304267
It's not bad by any means, it's just totally uninspired man. Looking at it evokes absolutely not sense of your personality as an artist, apply yourself.
>>
>>2304282
>lock away all your other hobbies

This isn't even remotely necessary. You sound like some hack who never made it.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (791 KB, 610x866) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
791 KB, 610x866
>>2304284
I got into arguably the best graphic design school in my country with absolute shit like this. Mix some unusual elements even if it fukn fails and be sure to show a diverse range of work.
>>
>>2304289
There's >>>/gd/
>>
>>2304267
if only you could put GIF's in your portfolio, then you'd be super duper fucked with a big dooper.
>>
>>2305955
I, uh, don't get it anon
>>
Looks like a bad trace OP

no
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.