[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips for drawing like yoji shinkawa for a newB like me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: ku-xlarge.jpg (186 KB, 640x957) Image search: [Google]
ku-xlarge.jpg
186 KB, 640x957
Any tips for drawing like yoji shinkawa for a newB like me
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouI8KXTdzhI
Here is a live art show of Yoji Shinkawa.
He uses a lot of traditional media like ink brushes, but it's based on an understanding of anatomy and stylized anatomy.
If you listen closely as you watch the video, you can hear him muttering to himself, these are prayers to the lord Satan who keeps his art skills alive for as long as he sacrifices one of the "grand children of the above" once a year, I'm not sure where you find those though.
>>
>>2303608
understand anatomy
visualize and only draw the shadows with a brush pen
leave a lot of blank spaces
color the rest in with computer programs
>>
File: 1448835629826 (1).jpg (1 MB, 1040x1672) Image search: [Google]
1448835629826 (1).jpg
1 MB, 1040x1672
not op but crit my attempt
>>
Don't. Learn to draw first. Then worry about style. Through learning to draw you will come into your own style. It may wind up like Yoji Shinkawa or it might not. This is a newB mistake you're falling into. You can't try to imitate a style if you don't know where the artist is coming from to get to that point.
>>
>>2303666
y hed so beeg.
>>
i guess you really got to have your anatomy, proportions, etc on point. that kind of confidence in the stroke doesn't come from nothing, its the result from lots of experience
>>
>>2303666
Neither the line thickness not the blacked out areas should be placed randomly, like they seem to have been done in your picture. And then there's the matter of knowing anatomy and being able to draw in the right proportions.

His style is that he sometimes overdo the line work and the thickness which gives a reflective impression, like on the nose. The effect gets lowered when he starts to add color.
>>
File: mgs 2.png (416 KB, 512x800) Image search: [Google]
mgs 2.png
416 KB, 512x800
The guy is emulating Ashley Wood but they have some similarities.

https://youtu.be/UAXnQZu2mTE

I actually made a (pretty bad) attempt to study something by Yoji a few days ago.
>>
>>2303737

test
>>
File: 1431377565363.jpg (16 KB, 293x331) Image search: [Google]
1431377565363.jpg
16 KB, 293x331
>>2303666

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2303666
saved
>>
For a beginner? No, it's impossible
Shinkawas style requires master knowledge of value, lineart, colour and anatomy
>>
File: horseless headsman.jpg (33 KB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
horseless headsman.jpg
33 KB, 720x406
>>2303666
Horseless headsman /10
>>
>>2303666
>viewtiful joe meets yoji shinkawa
i actually love viewtiful joe tho
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.