[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1439273428980.jpg (2 MB, 1900x1796) Image search: [Google]
1439273428980.jpg
2 MB, 1900x1796
Haven't seen one of those threads in a while.

If you could go back in time and give your former self art related advice what would you tell him?

>Stop looking for shortcuts and 'smart' learning methods
>It's fine if you dont enjoy drawing at the moment, why would you enjoy something you are bad at. Just keep at it!
>Vilppu is great dont neglect him because you cant feel 'it' yet
>stop procrastinating (still haven't learnt this one ;_;)
>stop worshipping cubebrush, his finished pieces are generic and his tutorials suck complete ass
>>
>>2302111

>don't get into art
>>
>>2302111
>stop thinking you're the best at art and you'd do just as well as anyone else if you wanted to
>>
Nothing, Im quite happy with my current progress and fear anything Id say might diminish it.
>>
>Stop beeing a lazy fagget

That´s pretty much it. Solves all problems sooner or later.
>>
don't buy a wacom tablet and don't install photoshop.
>>
>>2302111
>don't buy those "how to draw Anime" books never
>NEVER
>>
Don't start with Loomis if you're absolute beginner, it will only confuse you and make you feel like a hopeless case.
>>
Read perspective made easy, perspective is really not as intimidating as it looks and he summarizes every chapter, its a quick read.
Do more traditional art even if you fuck up, it'll make you learn.
Learning construction from basic shapes is probably the single most important step in "seeing" like an artist, learn it early.
Don't copy from shitty drawings, use real life or photography for reference and only copy other artists if you specifically aim to emulate them.
>>
>talk to her
>>
>loomis got it wrong and weeaboos cant see that.

>vary your sources and do real research.

>dont listen to fucktards who spend more time playing videogames than drawing

>dont listen to fucktards who spend more time watching anime than drawing

>dont listen to fucktards that hide behind an internet persona.

>never trust a blogger, ever!
>>
>>2302348
who hurt you?
>>
>>2302348
>loomis got it wrong and weeaboos cant see that

I don't disagree that Loomis is far from perfect, but please elaborate.
>>
>fix your posture.
>>
File: mfw again.gif (665 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
mfw again.gif
665 KB, 500x300
>>2302111
>Don't stop drawing, you little faggot, you'll fall behind. What the fuck do you think you're doing?!

Middle school was troublesome.
>>
>>2302111
>>It's fine if you dont enjoy drawing at the moment, why would you enjoy something you are bad at. Just keep at it!

Aghhh this. Lately all I've been doing is studying and its so frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing my work and feeling accomplished when its done but the process is just gritting. At points I started to feel like art was always going to feel like that, and it was really depressing. Then I started to take breaks and draw towergirls inbetween work and warm ups and enjoyed drawing again. Studying still sucks, but its good to know that my passions not dead.
>>
File: sketch 01.png (471 KB, 1062x1200) Image search: [Google]
sketch 01.png
471 KB, 1062x1200
Guys, I want to draw from memory like Kim Jung Gi. What steps should I take to achieve that?

I read somewhere that he looks at an object, capture it in his memory and draw without looking at it, and repeat this process until he finishes the image. I tried it and after that I tried to redraw the object purely from imagination. I can recall much more using this method than just making a sketch or blocking. But it feels so slow when I use this method to draw from life or photos. Is this the right method? Or are there other stuff I`m not aware of?
>>
>>2302535
I would focus on construction a ton. Draw it out for now, internalize it. Try to find efficient ways to break things down in your mind and then reassemble it from new angles.

Remember that KJG spent decades with a normal process of constructing things before he decided to abandon that step in his work, but he still holds it in his mind he just doesn't draw it anymore.
>>
>>2302547
That makes sense. Thanks anon.

Do you think I should try to draw at least half an hour a day using Kim`s method? That way I could possibly develop my visual memory slowly while I study construction the rest of the day.
>>
>>2302465 >Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing my work and feeling accomplished when its done but the process is just gritting

Same with me, with the exception that all i do is study because i think its a waste of time to begin on a piece if i know im gonna do a better job at it in a couple of months. Im afraid im gonna be stuck with this mentality, because there is still so much to learn.
>>
You can't fight sleep. It didn't work for Gilgamesh, it's not going to work for you.
>>
>>2302111
>take breaks
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.