[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ic/ what're some good daily drawing habits to get into?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 1447775713352.jpg (594 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447775713352.jpg
594 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /ic/ what're some good daily drawing habits to get into? I find that I'm really unguided on what to draw now that I've read Loomis and watched some of Proko's and Villpu's stuff. To get gud fast what're some must do's daily? Figure drawing for a little bit? Sketching whatever? Studies every day? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but any thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated. I'll dump some inspo in the meantime.
>>
File: 1448074300204.jpg (998 KB, 3000x1705) Image search: [Google]
1448074300204.jpg
998 KB, 3000x1705
>>
File: 1442028606805.jpg (410 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1442028606805.jpg
410 KB, 1920x1200
>>
File: 1444714649186.jpg (836 KB, 1350x1498) Image search: [Google]
1444714649186.jpg
836 KB, 1350x1498
>>
File: 1444175332689.jpg (399 KB, 738x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444175332689.jpg
399 KB, 738x1000
>>
>>2300452
What are you interested in? If you like comics then draw comics. If you like concept art then make designs. If you like illustration then come up with compositions telling stories.

While you do all those things you can also learn the basics--anatomy, perspective, lighting etc. But don't lose sight of why you are doing it in the first place. Skill is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
>>
File: 1444174280267.jpg (96 KB, 520x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444174280267.jpg
96 KB, 520x1000
>>
File: 1444179025838.jpg (81 KB, 762x1048) Image search: [Google]
1444179025838.jpg
81 KB, 762x1048
>>
I'll explain the best judgment on guiding yourself here. You ready? Learn a lesson of your choice until you think you're ready to learn something else for now. That's all. Fairly simple, and very effective.

Example:
There are multiple fundamentals of drawing.
The MOST fundamental thing in drawing, arguably, is how to draw a line as your brain intended. Can you actually do that?

I'm asking the wrong question. Don't ever ask yourself "Can I actually do that?"

Ask yourself, "Am I satisfied for now with my skills?" Cause today it's enough to satisfy you, but maybe tomorrow it's not gonna cut it.

"Can I actually do that" is relative. Remember that.

I'll ask that relative question again, though:
Can you actually draw a line steady, in the right position, thickness, and angle that you meant to do? Do you have enough hand-eye coordination for that basic heartbeat function of making art?

This is just an example of one lesson you're trying to practice. If you want to focus on that (which is a fine thing to focus on), then dedicate that 'practice time' to that lesson of hand-eye coordination. That's all. You're on your way to becoming a great artist, just studying one lesson at a time.
>>
>>2300462
small head / 10
>>
>>2300452
Do what the best draftsman alive today does: draw boxes everywhere lol
>>
>>2300509
You're a complete beginner aren't you?
>>
draw from life is the best practice, just take things that are appealing to you, so you don't get as bored as it would be a fucking apple or jar

why? because you train your observation without shourcuts, studying from photo references is easier because you can just copy 2d shapes, copy concrete value/colors and magically something beilable will appear with repetition

from life you have to think and understand what you see to actually put it in 2D
>>
I'll give some basic advice I personally find valuable.

I find that accurate drawing is probably one of the most important habits. If your drawing is off somewhere, fix it. If you let yourself slack you will never actually get to a level where your drawing is accurate. Be strict with yourself and make sure you really push accurate observation with accurate drawing.

Reading is always a good one. If you haven't already, reading Harold Speed, Solomon, Vanderpoel and Paul Richer should be of a high priority.

Life drawing if you can. Not everyone has daily access to a model so it might be difficult but it's worth it if you can manage.

Spending time to really push your work is a very important habit. At the atelier I study at, I've spent 60 hours on pencil drawings in order to push them as far as I possibly can (would work even longer in charcoal). It's often that last 10% of a drawing/painting that contains the solutions to a lot of your problems.

I believe that you will most likely learn more from a 15 hour drawing rather than the typical 30 minute drawing you tend to see online.

Using straight lines is a very important habit, at least to some. If you look at academic drawings, you will notice that it's done using almost exclusively straight lines. This is because they're easier to work with, you can compare angles and really flesh out each angle break on in a subject. Correcting a curved line is very difficult but when it's done using straight lines (a block in) it becomes much more manageable. (look up Charles Bargue)

Systematically learning is another important thing. I see a lot of people trying to paint all their studies before they've studied anything about line drawing. Take it one step at a time. Jumping into the deep end at the start just means you'll have a harder time learning.
>>
>>2300509
Hah. This reminds me of that guy on CA.org who did Peter Han exercises exclusively for a year.
>>
>>2300521
He doesn't just draw boxes everywhere. He draws from life every day, while thinking about placing things with IN those boxes.
>>2300452
Just draw from life everyday, OP. Anatomy, perspective, and shading will come to you by observation. It'll be easier now too, because you understand the concepts.
>>
>>2300589
get the fuck out you stupid homo
>>
>>2300452
Leave the wacom tablet or wathever you have at one side of the key board or your work space. Always ready to draw.

I remember hearing a joke about leaving a book at one side of the toilet and being able to finish it in a few weeks. Do the same but draw instead.
I have been doing that since 2 year ago and has helped me a lot.
>>
>>2300589
>draw from life everyday day meme
Kek
>>
>>2300781

>drawing in the toilet

This is terrible advice. I don't understand people who want to spend 30minutes taking a shit and reading in the toilet. You squeeze out that turd as fast as possible and leave, whats the point of sitting on an uncomfortable plastic seat with no desk in a room that smells like shit when you can finish your poop and go do the same at a desk or in a bed?
>>
>>2300975

plus, you'll give yourself hemorrhoids from sitting on the toilet that long.
>>
>>2300975
Cooling your gaping asshole just feels good m8 whilst reading the headlines on your phone. it's the best.
>>
>>2300465
>Skill is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
Good advice. I've not really done anything outside of learning in a long time because I'm waiting until I feel I'm "good enough" to create. Probably a bad approach to take to the creative process.
>>
>>2301067
>>Skill is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
That's a very nice advice.
>>
>>2301072
Eh, there's also the whole "It's about the journey not the destination" thing.

That said, you should make time to draw the things you enjoy as well as making time to push your comfort zone and learn/practice.

I'm guilty forgetting that I should also be drawing swords and dragons and shit but I'd be retarded not to learn new skills and expand my boundaries.
>>
>>2301092
Yes I know that one mate. I think it's important not to forget it. And to have some fun on a way. Thanks and good luck.
>>
>>2300452
Where's this from, looks awesome
>>
>>2302143
bump for source
>>
>>2300509
Tl;Dr for fuckwits, learn how to self-evaluate so you can self-teach.

This is good advice. It's not about how 'able' you are. Don't look at your skills like that, or you'll constantly battle the inner critic. It's about learning how to find your weaknesses and tailoring your practice to improve. Small chunks, self-awareness, dedication to improve. That'll take you farther then any anonymously suggested daily quest grind.
>>
>>2302143
>>2303147

Unfortunately I don't know the source, I picked this up from /wg/ in an anatomy-themed thread.

Also thanks for everyone who commented, there's some good stuff here that'll help me stop being the unguided fucker I have been.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.