[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
old fasioned critique thread working on my 3rd art show, I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: WP_20151127_07_16_45_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151127_07_16_45_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 1728x3072
old fasioned critique thread

working on my 3rd art show, I have 2 done so far
>>
File: WP_20151127_07_16_06_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151127_07_16_06_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 1728x3072
second painting, i still have a few to go but i have time to do them, i havent even asked the gallery for date yet
>>
Its boring and ugly, all you can do is lines and not even the good kind of lines.
Do something with your own hands, man.
This is not even a painting, a computer could do this.
>>
>>2297672
whats the good kind of lines? cuz i hate curves and color there is not much interesting subjects to do
>>
File: drug deal.jpg (1 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
drug deal.jpg
1 MB, 3648x2736
I dig it

I made this one right now. Should I keep it gritty or make it cleaner?
>>
>>2297672
>artist
>hates curves and color
What the fuck are you even doing? Do you intend on drawing nothing but straight lines for the rest of your life?
>>
>>2297719
well ive been doing it for 3 years and whenever i try color or anything not perfectly straight it feels gross, so i do what all u guys do and just go with what feels right. I dont know what else to really do except some good architecture but if u have a suggestion i would hear u out
>>
>>2297716
how would u make it cleaner? pens or just more detail? well it could use some work so yeah why not
>>
>>2297716
ur perspective is bad and no planning before hand, try more construction in future
>>
File: drug deal.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
drug deal.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>2297729

maybe adding some more colors

>>2297731
Your right.
>>
File: 1398470749636.jpg (510 KB, 1280x927) Image search: [Google]
1398470749636.jpg
510 KB, 1280x927
>>2297728

You shouldn't always be doing 'what feels right'. It seems like you are actively avoiding curves and colour because you arent sure how to apply them, which is fine, but that's usually a good indicator of something you need to learn. Like when people hide hands behind the backs and in pockets to avoid drawing them.

Your drawings arent bad they are just sort of lifeless/flat and there are better ways to do what you're doing and give it more impact (see pic) in terms of more interesting perspective, detailing etc. If doing these types of drawings is what you enjoy then go for it, but disregarding curves completely is not going to help you in any way, just restrict you.
>>
>>2297742
this. I was avoiding to draw people a lot. Now I still avoid it but I try to draw them cause I know it's my weak spot.
>>
>>2297742

I guess I should clarify that choosing not to draw curves is fine given the type of mechanical perspective drawings you're doing and 90% of the time cities dont have curves in their skylines. So if inked perspectives are all you ever want to draw in then sure, it's not that much of a relevant skill for you, it's just the drawings themselves will then need to have added dimensions, differing building set backs, more interesting focal points and so on to avoid it looking so flat. You spent the majority of the time on the drawing making horizontal lines instead of greater consideration on the forms themselves.
>>
>>2297742
OP here, thanks for the tips, can u recomned a software to do this or a few examples where using a real ruler and pen actualy happend. the japanese are great at this but i like real ink, and somehting possible to do in real ink
>>
>>2297690
you hate curves and color? and only like straight lines? ok
>>
>>2297764

This is from Akira, a 1988 manga drawn in ink. The entire book is filled with stuff like this and would have been hand drawn with a ruler.

If you mean software to mass forms the google sketchup is pretty good for quickly creating a lot of shapes that you can then draw over as a base and add details. If you mean using software to produce an image like in the picture then I have no idea. Maybe one of those manga programs like painttool SAI would have the tools you need, but I doubt it
>>
>>2297779

thanks
>>
>>2297785
i saw the insane repetition and thought no1 would ever do that unless they could just click it and say "let it be" its would take a painfully long amount of time to do that and i think time could be better spent
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.