[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you practiced your circles today, /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: circles.jpg (86 KB, 549x915) Image search: [Google]
circles.jpg
86 KB, 549x915
Have you practiced your circles today, /ic/?
>>
Is this a meme or is this a legitimately important/useful excercise?
>>
>>2294116
yes, but not doing it for hours upon hours.
>>
>>2294117
Okay, so I guess 1 - 2 pages a day should be enough?

And do you also draw them in perspective or do other things with them?

Or is it LITERALLY just pic related for a few pages?
>>
File: han.png (445 KB, 843x428) Image search: [Google]
han.png
445 KB, 843x428
>>2294118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
watch this
>>
>>2294125

An-Hiro over here's got some good advice.
>>
This is an insanely useless exercise. lol. When you think about all the massively complex things you need to learn to get good and you're spending hours drawing circles.

You shouldn't have any problem learning to draw circles in perspective during the regular course of learning to draw from life and drawing in a sketchbook. This is like learning to draw a human eye by only drawing eyelashes for hours or the the human figure by only drawing fingernails.

>>2294108
top kek.
>>
>>2294129

If you don't know how to draw circles, you don't know how to draw spheres and that means you can't construct with forms and as a result you can't practice perspective. Practicing a circle is essentially practicing spheres.
>>
no I haven't
>>
Wat is a circle?
>>
>>2294165
ok just practice them whenever you need a sphere or oval.

redo it as many times as you like, in context
>>
>>2294108

Don't forget your ellipses -because wheels in persective are a bitch.
>>
File: just fuck my shit up.jpg (14 KB, 284x250) Image search: [Google]
just fuck my shit up.jpg
14 KB, 284x250
This exercise literally gives me pain. I don't even understand shit completely.
I know tangents of ellipse must follow wall's diminishments and minor axis-normal must be always opposite to vanishing point if you want to snap it properly on it.
BUT HOW THE FUCK SHOULD I GUESS DIRECTION AND EXACT POSITION OF THAT MINOR AXIS SO THAT THIS FUCKING CIRCLE FITS ON THIS WALL REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2294210
The minor axis is orthogonal to the plane that contains the circle.

The wall that you have is functionally the right side of a box in 2pt perspective. The horizontal lines of the wall (in perspective) converge to a vanishing point to the right. The minor axis points to your second vanishing point in this case - the one on the left.

If you had a circle on the ground plane, and this was a scene in 2pt perspective, the minor axis would be vertical. If it were a scene in 3pt perspective, the minor axis would point to the third vanishing point that's either straight up or straight down for the circle on the ground plane.

Think of your circle in perspective as a wheel. The minor axis is superimposed on top of that axle.
>>
>>2294187

In context a sphere will always be a circle.
>>
Op actually fell for the meme
>>
>>2294214
I know this. I don't know how I'm supposed to guess correct minor axis.
>>
>>2294289
You're not supposed to guess.

Cross the corners of the box containing the circle in perspective. You now have the center of that square. Draw a line from that point to the relevant vanishing point (the one your minor axis points to. This line you drew is superimposed on your minor axis. You now have the minor axis, and 4 tangent points to work with to draw the ellipse.
>>
>>2294370
This will work good only when you have one ellipse. When you have more, you'll have to calculate exact squares in this exact CoV which is even more pain
>>
>>2294116

It's useful if you want to draw good circles - which can be applied to lots of art. Same with drawing straight lines.
Being able to confidently do one or both of those things means you won't be awkwardly chickenscratching your lines half as often. Doing it will also get your muscle memory working in terms of elbow/shoulder motions rather than wrist ones (ideally, OP's are so small that he might well have used his wrist anyway).

But yeah, don't spend hours doing it at the exclusion of other things. Art is multi-faceted and a variety of skills are required, ellipses and straights alone won't make you a good artist.
>>
>>2294399
>ellipses and straights alone won't make you a good artist.
This one is right, I learned it the hard way.
Do them as warm-ups but nothing more than 10-15 minutes.
>>
File: 1448307714431111.png (45 KB, 284x250) Image search: [Google]
1448307714431111.png
45 KB, 284x250
>>2294210
nub here, but shouldn't it be something like this?
>>
>>2294210
>>2294214
Sounds like you people need Vandruff. I have no fucking clue what you guys are talking about with all the jargon but I can draw ellipses in perspective farily well.
>>
>>2294521
Yeah I fuked up minor there
>>
>>2294125
>don't use ball point pens, use felt point ones

Why?
>>
>>2294390
If you start off by establishing your two vanishing points and your station point, or two vanishing points and your center of vision, it becomes little hassle to draw perfect squares of varying size and placement (assuming they're parallel to the ground plane) by using your diagonal vanishing point.

That said, it's not that difficult or cumbersome to draw perfect ellipses. As long as you can draw a correct cube, you have everything needed for an ellipse on any side of that cube. If you don't need the accuracy of a perfect cube in any of your forms, then you don't need the accuracy of a perfect ellipse either.

In most cases, you only need to know how it's done correctly, but just eyeball it
>>
>>2294210
Just read Scott Robertson's book
>>
>>2294894
Doesn't create a groove in the paper. Forces you to keep the pen perpendicular to the page to get proper ink flow.
>>
>>2294125
This is like a bike instructor teaching the students to practice walking with high knees instead of teaching them how to ride a bike...

just get on the damn bike and take it from there.
>>
>>2297776
On the other hand, it could be like a boxing trainer teaching the students footwork and bag drills before putting them in the ring.

These exercises originated at the Art Center College of Design. They don't teach Fine Art there. The exercises are designed to improve your mechanical drawing ability. They're for people who want to develop speed and consistency. Useful for designers, perhaps not so much for artists.
>>
Just do a dozen circles and straight lines as a part of your warmup before every drawing session. It's definitely a vital skill to master, but not something that you really want to devote yourself to doing for significant periods of time.
>>
>>2297810

Drawing skills aren't different in fine art and illustration.
>>
literally no reason to autistically do circles for pages, just do some for a couple minutes to warm up or something. If you're doing pages upon pages of this shit you're wasting your time even as a beginner. You want to practice your mechanical abilityand linework? It's better spent practicing drawing other organic shit that you'll actually draw
>>
>>2297713
But I am, he does not explain shit
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.