[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whenever im starting with a new painting im excited and enthousiastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1439477504001.png (22 KB, 804x743) Image search: [Google]
1439477504001.png
22 KB, 804x743
Whenever im starting with a new painting im excited and enthousiastic for the first few sessions, and time seems to fly.
But then i suddenly get so depressed and dissapointed i dont want to continue anymore and i feel hopeless.
why is this?How do people keep working on the same painting for a long time with the same initial enthousiasm?
>>
force of habit. if it's not a habit you're not an artist.
>>
>>2293403
I work on several paintings at once and alternate between them so they feel fresh each time I return to them rather than feel like something I am bored of working on.

Alternatively you can try to get into more of a zen mode where you don't think about how long it is taking or anything and you just focus entirely on the process and enjoying it. Or do the opposite and put on a podcast while you mindlessly render it to completion.
>>
I take it you rarely finish anything?

You paint until you hit a road block, then think "if only my perspective was better; I should work on that instead" or "if only my anatomy was better; I should work on that instead". And you practice these things but when it's time to work on another piece you hit a roadblock again, not realizing that what you're refusing to practice is how to finish a piece.
>>
>>2293424
Also you have to ask yourself how much you value both the product and the process.
It may very well serve you to reduce your ego and make things in your own time.
>>
>>2293403
Alla prima you goon, sit down with your oils and go ham. Then have a nap. Then go ham. Then have a nap. Then go ham. Repeat.

You are going to create shit, so create shit. If it sucks hard enough wait for it to dry and paint over it. View your work not as masterwork but as shit. Just keep making better shit.
>>
>>2293424
fucking nips with their cheaty screentones!
>>
>>2293715
and after a while start selling that shit, in a can if you want too
>>
>>2293715
>You are going to create shit, so create shit.
This. Embrace the fact that it's shit, don't be afraid of it. Let your goal be "make shit", not "make good stuff".
>>
>>2293424
To add to this, I find this happening to me as well, however I Try to fix what I can within the piece and actually finish it. Unless it's something I REALLY hate, I'll finish it regardless. When you spend a lot of time analyzing the mistakes you've made in this picture and the more time you spent trying to work around/with them to make a finished piece the more you will learn and observe and will be able to apply to your next piece.

When you give up half way through, you're acknowleging you've made a mistake but you're not giving yourself the time and energy to LEARN from it.

Tldr: Keep painting even if there's something that annoys you about it.
>>
>>2293715
Actually idk how to alla prima.....usually i make some kind of underpainting that always seems to be to meagre. And then when i paint on top of it its like im making a new painting.
Often i dont know wtf im doing and it ends like shit., with some part painted fat and others very thin and a shitty drawing.
>>2293424
I made quite a few self portraits that i finished,

Also often when i look at my poaintings in different lighting i suddenly see how shitty the division of paint is.Some parts i can see the red underpaint shining through, other parts are just filled with a blob of deadening paint.
>>
>>2294286
Here's a simple way to do underpainting.

>Charcoal value sketch on ground
>Matte Krylon spray fixative to hold it in place
>have a dart while it dries
>thinned washes with transparent paint for color
>have a dart while it dries
>over paint

Adds an extra 20minutes but nets you some layers
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.