[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comments?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 15
File: 20151122_132055-1.jpg (3 MB, 1978x2528) Image search: [Google]
20151122_132055-1.jpg
3 MB, 1978x2528
Comments?
>>
looks cool bro i dig it i dig it
>>
>>2293137
i too was bored in highchool once
>>
>>2293164
This is a correct response.

Listen man, I drew with the same approacd in highschool. You will come to a point where you might want to throw that ''style'' out the window and actually work on perscective, composition, color, etc.

i'm only saying this because this style is a distraction. It's like masturbating, those shapes are pleasing to draw... but are decieving you from ultimately progressing into an innovative artist.

I'm sure the artists that inspire you, were learning those basic elements I listed at your age.
>>
>>2293137
i like it OP, the only thing i don't like is the actual dragon, it feels like it takes away from the rest of it, it feels like you should have just kept going with the cool design, but he does blend in really nicely, my persnal preference is without the dragon there, but personal preferences aside, it looks pretty neat.
>>
Dude this is so cool
>>
>>2293164

meme response
>>
File: 20151122_143314-1-1.jpg (3 MB, 1890x2523) Image search: [Google]
20151122_143314-1-1.jpg
3 MB, 1890x2523
>>2293195
I understand what you. I do practice things like perspective, anatomy, etc., the basics, I was just trying to branch out and do more of a stylized work, based on American Japanese tattoos. Pic related is a recent study from one of Michelangelo's drawings if you would like to critique too
>>
>>2293204
Thanks for the critique! I can understand how the dragon gets lost amidst the shapes, I was going for a composition that made the eye move all across the page using patterns and shapes. Any tips to avoid this in future works, more negative spaces on the figure/around the area of the figure?
>>
>>2293219
Hmmm...not sure anon, I'll try looking through my work? I have some drawings that I incorporate patterns and stuff with (i forgot the actual name of the design, if that's what you can call it), but maybe it can help? Cause it stands out a little, but it's in the middle of the page...dunno...do you wanna see? It might help out somewhat
>>
File: illusion-tattoos-6.jpg (149 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
illusion-tattoos-6.jpg
149 KB, 600x1067
>>2293246
(i forgot to add this to that post because i just thought of this as soon as that one went up) Line size has a lot to do with that, how your eyes move around the page. I saw a post on some other thread, the person was a tattoo artist and used a pretty good picture with what i'm talking about, OH and optical illusions are great to look at, unless i'm being biased (i love optical illusions)
>>
>>2293250
Just got the same critique from a mate when I showed them. Thanks for the impute, love to see your work
>>
>>2293262
*input
>>
>>2293262
okay...i hope it'll be okay since it's animublublu, but another thing!! is negative space, i just noticed that
>>
File: DrawingSmall.png (2 MB, 713x950) Image search: [Google]
DrawingSmall.png
2 MB, 713x950
>>2293267
Here you go
>>
I'll put some more pictures in, these aren't my work but it can help with the whole, positive and negative space thing. Always keep in mind that your work does not have to replicate these at all, but these are to be used as a form of study. Don't be afraid to experiment
>>
File: op-squares.jpg (23 KB, 348x343) Image search: [Google]
op-squares.jpg
23 KB, 348x343
>>2293303
>>
File: Julian Stanczack.jpg (217 KB, 736x733) Image search: [Google]
Julian Stanczack.jpg
217 KB, 736x733
>>2293304
I think his namehas been spelled wrong
>>
File: Marsha Charlebois.jpg (188 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Marsha Charlebois.jpg
188 KB, 600x600
>>2293307
>>
File: Natural_beauty.png (590 KB, 800x551) Image search: [Google]
Natural_beauty.png
590 KB, 800x551
>>2293310
>>
File: negative_space_moon.jpg (139 KB, 728x974) Image search: [Google]
negative_space_moon.jpg
139 KB, 728x974
>>2293316
>>
>>2293212
Well that's very nice. i'm impressed with your range, and that you are thinking about these things.

You know one interesting thing you might want to try is attempting what you like about that pen and ink drawing, but use graphite?

I personally found that the psychedelic abstractions unique to your own style can be further pushed and innovated with a more malleable medium. Maybe you will find something new in that.

For example, those muscles on the upper back form a texture that IS stylized. But the shading and subtleties help meld it into the narrative of the body..

I don't know, your work looks good. And you can only improve
>>
>>2293341
i like what you have to say! i don't use graphite for completed drawings like these? it feels like it's not finished sometimes, but i guess that's what fixative is for. Thank you for the comment.
I will try harder to keep experimenting,

Do you have more work of yours to share?
>>
File: avignon.jpg (48 KB, 658x687) Image search: [Google]
avignon.jpg
48 KB, 658x687
also, i think it's good to look at a wide variety of art, sometimes there are little things you might take a liking to, even in big paintings.

sometimes...there are some things i can't like, like this painting by picasso

That painting frustrates me....but the story behind it is pretty neat.
>>
>>2293341
Oh, and i'll you another one i got; you can incorporate this large idea you have in your drawing and put it into smaller pieces in a big drawing. for example, in my drawing here, i incorporated the swirleys and what-not into a smaller portion but is part of the whole picture
>>
>>2293212
ANDAND, i wanted to comment on this one, the way you shaded and drew the muscles are really cool, it's giving the figure a sort of cloud texture, he looks really soft to look at. But at the same time, he looks sort of rocky in some areas, like the more shaded bits. Textures will help you a ton with your stylized work AND real life stuff.
>>
also anon, i don't know if you'll stick around or if you'll see this again, but i'll still be around this thread in case you do see it again. I hope to see more of your work!
>>
File: Photo on 10-24-15 at 6.29 PM.jpg (95 KB, 488x529) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 10-24-15 at 6.29 PM.jpg
95 KB, 488x529
>>2293406
>>2293448

Um well, here is a cruddy picture of a drawing I finished a couple months ago. I'm not really proud of my work, but as you can see it was very rooted in that kind of flat black and white style.

i'll post another pic too
>>
File: Photo on 10-24-15 at 6.30 PM.jpg (121 KB, 457x585) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 10-24-15 at 6.30 PM.jpg
121 KB, 457x585
>>2293485

God they look really poor, as I shot them with my macbook camera. They lose all the fine detail.
>>
File: Photo on 11-23-15 at 1.08 AM #2.jpg (118 KB, 583x692) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-23-15 at 1.08 AM #2.jpg
118 KB, 583x692
>>2293487

These drawings are a little old, so I feel bad that I don't have any newer works to show ya,

Keep drawing and making art
>>
>>2293501
And I'm now kind of finished with that flat style, sketching from life now and working on improving those foundational skills!
>>
>>2293485
>>2293487
>>2293501
Holy moley, these are fantastic!!! You were hiding such cool things!! I can't wait to look at these more up close, you've got a fantastic skill! Do you have a tumblr or Instagram or anything like that?
>>
>>2293510
What is your process ? Do you draw often? Do you listen to anything while you draw?
>>
>>2293533
>>2293540
Thank you, I'm flattered that you like them.

I don't have anything online, I want to make a tumblr soon in the next few months. I was just hoping to things a little stronger before it's permanently a fixture to the internet.

I was drawing a lot more in highschool, but have slowed down a bit. During summer or a few months I would draw a lot everyday, trying to fill up these complete type of illustrations.

However, I lately would spend long periods of time not picking up the sketchbook at all. I created a meticulous style where I was afraid to draw freely in my books.

Currently I'm drawing weekly, or every few days. Not really often enough, but i'm relearning how to sketch and experiment in those blank white pages.

I usually listen to podcasts nowadays while I draw. I consumed all of npr, thisamericanlife, love+radio. Conversational things I really like, at least those are stimulating, its hard for me to sit down in a closed room and draw to music or in silence. I over-listen to music as it is, so when I'm drawing I want a fresh and less intrusive head space.

My process isn't really that admirable or something I can objectively describe. Some things I copy from real life, or elements of photographs. Others are impulsive abstractions.

I used some adhesive patterns called Letratone on these. It was really popular in the 1970's and 1980's as a means for comic artists to fill large spaces. Its a huge part of the visual aesthetic in Manga as well. Those flat grey spaces were cut with an exacto blade after i drew the lines with pen.

If i had 50 drawings this detailed, or a large portfolio... I would start collecting it on a tumblr. But I need some time to make the art that I feel good about
>>
>>2293581
I can understand that, that you don't want to put anything up till you have what you consider "enough", or something you are proud of for doing, so I think it's good you'll take your time.

I had that problem too, once I was out of school, drawing sometimes became sparse..or I would beat myself up for it...or I just couldn't seem to come up with something to do. I think it was me being too hard on me-self. But I did get out of that rut my drawing a lot, a lot, a lot...and scribbling...it was mostly scribbling! Just doing whatever I could do to get drawings or words on paper. I eventually got back into my mindset and have been happy since.

Interesting, I don't listen to podcasts much at all, unless it has music in it? I just listen to music when I draw most of the time, and that really fuels my art.

Not everything/ or anything you do has to be admirable.

Are Letratones like screen tones? They sound about the same, except screen tones may have more to boast?

Thank you for sharing by the way!
>>
>>2293587

Yeah, I'm already feeling better about just letting ideas, lines, scribbles fall onto the paper without any notion that it has to be anything. Sketching is important!

Letratone is just a brand, but they are the same as screentones. Maybe some difference in patterns... but I really like the classic look it can fuse into your drawings.

Thanks, take care
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.