[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you do it /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
Can you do it /ic/?
>>
I want to now.
>>
>>2293122
put an "or" between each of them and maybe
>>
>>2293122
100 value studies and 100 colour sketches are impossible in a day. Even if you only spend 5 minutes each (which is pretty useless) you would take like 20 hours to do them all.
>>
all of it takes much more time that doing a squat or a push-up anon.
>>
A more reasonable one might be 100 gesture drawings, 25 figure drawings, 10 value studies, and 10 color sketches.
>>
Nope and I don't want to either.

400 drawings a day would give you 400 shitty, rushed drawings. While I do believe that doing a lot of something can help improve, taking that to excess is detrimental.

Assuming they're 2 minute gestures, 100 gestures alone would take over 3 hours, with no breaks. Assuming figure drawings are more in depth, well, you can tell it's getting unrealistic.

As >>2293136 said, if you pick 1 then that'd be a lot easier. Still won't do it personally though.
>>
>>2293136
This, I'm aiming for 10 pages of figures and 10 pages of gesture a day, and its very time consuming as i completely fill up my pages as well as do various types of figure drawings.

400 drawings a day is kind of overload, if you do 2 mins gestures it will take 3 hrs 20 mins, 10 mins figure drawings is 1,000 mins, value studies, same thing, and colour would take much longer.

100 of each if you're being serious is too much.

I'd rather suggest 100 pages a day of any of the 4.
>>
>>2293161
>I'd rather suggest 100 pages a day
Still unrealistic. Even KJG only did 50 pages a day in his youth, and he was possibly joking or lying when he said it.
>>
>>2293166
Depends on what you do really, if you do your gestures it should fill up rather quickly.

A few proper drawings would take you a handful of hours. For me personally I can do ~6 pages an hour on a page slightly bigger than A4, if it's in a smaller sketchbook 100 pages become reasonable

But still even if you don't do 100 pages doing as much as you can a day is a very good thing anyway.
>>
>>2293122
No. I cannot manage 400 drawings a day.
>>
>>2293122
Why not just focus on improving what you're weakest at?
>>
>>2293173
True, but that's a hard pace to keep up daily, and it's probably not something that would be beneficial to do daily (if it is to the exclusion of other exercises). Also KJG was still in high school at that point which would make his free time to draw rather limited, which is part of what casts doubt on his claim.
>>
>>2293122
The joke with One Punch Man is that Saitama did a really easy workout routine every single day. So translated to art, it'd be more like 10 of each.
>>
>>2293211
His workout routine was still pretty intense. It involved 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10km run, all done daily. That's way more than most people. Sure a professional athlete will do more, but for a normal guy you would consider him to be pretty fitness focused.

But the joke was more that it didn't really explain his god-like strength. It's more akin to someone who draws for like 3 hours a day or something, so more than most amateurs but not as much as a fulltime pro. But they can draw like Michelangelo or something.
>>
>>2293218
Shit man, at one point I was doing 400 sit ups a day, I got to the point I could do 80 in one go.
>>
you probably wouldn't even learn anything
>>
>>2293221
What could you possibly gain from 400 sit-ups per day apart from potential spine injuries?
>>
>>2293229

A six pac
>>
>>2293122
Might be an interesting challenge to try for a week rather than a day. Considering attempting
>>
Half of the success is ability to reflect on yourself/your art. Mindlessly practicing is retarded
>>
>>2293122
Assuming an average of 15 minutes for each, then no.
Literally impossible.
What the fuck planet do you live on that has 100+ hours in its day?

10 of each would be more reasonable and doable within 5 hours, allowing for an average of 30 minutes for each.
>>
You need to chill.
A better way to go about it is to learn and get good at 1 new thing a day.
>>
>>2293122
Sounds like a great idea. The idiot image doesn't mention variety, or how different these studies have to be. So you can literally take 50 of each studies every 30 seconds of 4 master pieces and achieve way more than an unlimited time lesson.
>>
File: onepunchman.png (23 KB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
onepunchman.png
23 KB, 500x209
>>2293122

If I wanted to go bald, yeah sure.
>>
File: worldstrongestcomicartist.png (236 KB, 500x396) Image search: [Google]
worldstrongestcomicartist.png
236 KB, 500x396
>>2293598
it is worth it.
>>
>>2293332
Yeah, 100 gesture drawings is absolutely reasonable, but complete figure drawings and value studies? What the fuck, family?
>>
>>2294091
Op is an idiot. This is just another "work 16 hours a day" meme. Lots of artists who anons look up to got where they are without ever doing ten bazillion drawings of "x" in a day. Not all artists who follow the "work 16 hours a day" meme end up getting results either. (Here's looking at you Alex Negrea)

>>2293122
A better bet would be to study for a allotted amount of time per day, day 3 - 5 hours. Work hard and focus on getting work done in that time, it'll be much more beneficial. You need time to eat, sleep, exercise, etc, otherwise you'll just burn out and become disillusioned. Over time as you become more accurate and faster you'll be able to do more work in a single day.

You shouldn't be spending all day just doing studies anyway. Unless you want to be a photocopy machine you need to have time to get personal/imaginative work in there too. After you do your 3 -5 of study spend the rest of the day on personal work.
>>
>>2293122
This could have been a productive thread if you had put in a managable, realistic goal for the day and planned on having people participate. But you fucked it up.
>>
>>2293122
Damnit James!
>>
>>2293122
no fuck that if someone doesnt pay me i wont do shit
100 anything kills the hobby for life
>>
>>2293218
>>2293211
The joke is that he did an ordinary workout routine to become strong, without any super tech or magic involved. This is to mock superheroes and the like.

Then you realize he did this same workout, every day, for three years straight. No rest days.

People have asked /fit/ and they say it's obviously, totally impossible without rest days. Saitama kept doing it anyway, ignoring the sensation that he was about to fucking die, breaking the laws of physics through sheer force of will and then breaking reality to become One Punch Man.

So the point is to have an abnormally thick spirit. That might as well be the thread's real topic.
>>
>>2294245
>People have asked /fit/ and they say it's obviously, totally impossible without rest days.
Uh, I doubt they'd say that. It's not like he's lifting heavy weights or increasing the difficulty at all. Rest days are important when you are doing progressive overloads but if you do the same thing every day then your body will adapt to it without issue. The first few weeks were probably torturous but after that he'd be fine. Serious hikers (like those that do the Appalachian Trail) will do significantly more than he did.
>>
>>2294072
The perfect egg head.
>>
File: karl-pilkington.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
karl-pilkington.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>2294254
>>
>>2294251
tendinitis
athletes have it
>>
>>2294259
head like a fucking orange
>>
>>2293122
If my body was fast enough and possessed that much energy, sure.
>>
>>2294485
lose weight
>>
>>2294489
I'm already a manlet. If I lose any more weight, I'll blow away in the wind.
>>
>>2293136
or how about 25 of each?
>>
>>2293122
i couldn't even manage one of those yet because i've still learning.

maybe one day...
>>
File: contours.jpg (47 KB, 436x340) Image search: [Google]
contours.jpg
47 KB, 436x340
>MFW this is how amerifats think learning works.
>>
File: 1445089349899.jpg (79 KB, 788x442) Image search: [Google]
1445089349899.jpg
79 KB, 788x442
I'm not sure I could but it would be a gigantic waste of time either way. Don't you guys have families or jobs? Are you all neeting?
>>
>>2293242
did it work?
>>
Saved your image OP ty
>>
>>2294781
>Are you all neeting?
>>
>>2293122
What photo should I copy for a value study?
>>
>>2295093
One with good values--not over or underexposed in any areas. Preferably nothing too flat either (like front lighting with a flash or extreme ambient light). Avoid HDR or images that are overly textured like that too. Pick one that has subject matter that interests you so you are engaged and not bored.
>>
>>2293166
Original is also unrealistic. That's the fucking point.
>>
You autists and your "studies."

Studies aren't just mindlessly copying shit. They are supposed to be specific preparation for a future work so you can work out the pose, anatomy, composition, color scheme etc.

In other words you tailor your studying to inform what you plan to create, you don't just retardedly copy poses.

Pic related. Studies for Libyan Sibyl.
>>
File: hb_24.197.2.jpg (113 KB, 450x608) Image search: [Google]
hb_24.197.2.jpg
113 KB, 450x608
>>2295130
Forgot pic
>>
>>2295130
That's what you should be doing for finished work, yes, especially as a mature artist. As a student though it is common to do exercises just for the sake of getting good technically at drawing and painting so you can later apply that knowledge. That's why art schools make you do life drawing, cast drawing, still life etc. They're not done as prep for a finished image, they are a learning tool.
>>
>>2295140
There is a world of difference between the things you mentioned and what 90% of the people on this board will do, which is sit there and copy photographs and Loomis over and over for the rest of forever and lament that they are still terrible.
>>
>>2295143
Yes but that's the fault of the student, not the exercise. There is nothing wrong with doing figure studies or colour studies. Grinding them mindlessly is the problem. Doing them with an analytical mind and applying that knowledge in your own work is ideal.
>>
File: Legendaires3.jpg (52 KB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
Legendaires3.jpg
52 KB, 400x303
>>2294072

That dude is living the dream though.
>>
>>2295001
Does a bear shit in the woods?

I'ma seriously doubt that guy actually managed 400 situps a day, but yes, of course you'll get a massive six-pack if you do a hundred situps every day for a month or two...
>>
>>2293173
can you post an example? i think it depends on how you treat the pages. i spend around 45 mins to 1 hour on one page drawing pretty small, but of course i can get that down to 10 minutes drawing bigger, or 2 hours drawing small.

i usually get in 8 hours a day, and finish about 10 A4 pages
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.