[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /ic/ I'm bad at sculpting, but I want to improve. Here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Face_Attempt.png (263 KB, 1600x1794) Image search: [Google]
Face_Attempt.png
263 KB, 1600x1794
So /ic/ I'm bad at sculpting, but I want to improve. Here is my first attempt at sculpting a human head, no reference used.
I will use reference in the future - I did this in order to find out where I tend to make mistakes and where my understanding of the human face is lacking (everywhere unfortunately, duh.)

I was hoping to get some help from anyone gentle enough. Redlines, general advice, anything really.

I chose this board instead of /3/ because this is about art fundamentals.

Also - yes I ignored the skull, the ears and the forehead, but I admit I couldn't do much better even if I tried. (how is an ear shaped anyway?)

I will be really grateful to anyone willing to help. Thanks in adavnce and sorry for posting something bad.
>>
>>2291468
[cont]
Basically what I would like to know is what went especially wrong and what can I do about it, because I can't tell (If I could I would just make it better, but this is my current limit)
so I can pay special attention to those areas when studying and practicing
>>
File: planes[1].jpg (12 KB, 200x267) Image search: [Google]
planes[1].jpg
12 KB, 200x267
Hey, I'm a professional sculptor and it's great to see some fellow sculptors on /ic/.

I find the best way to approach sculpting is to think about every feature in terms of planes and shapes. I highly highly recommend you get Philippe Farauts instructional books series on sculpting. They are expensive but very much worth every penny.

https://philippefaraut.com/books.html

He explains sculpting the portrait starting from the very basics up to advanced form and also points out common errors new sculptors make.

Practice makes perfect so keep at it.
>>
>>2291485
SI SI SI SI SI SI
SI SI SI SI SI SI
SI SI SI SI SI SI
SI SI SI SI SI SI
SI SI SI SI SI SI
SI SI SI SI SI SI
>>
>>2291497
??
>>
>>2291485

Hi Philippe
>>
>>2291508
https://www.google.com/search?q=mussolini+si&source=lnms&tbm=isch
>>
>16 hours have passed
>not a single critique

Well whatever. I take this as a sign it's too soon to even get anyone bothering.
I'll study, improve and be back with something better.
>>
>>2291856
there's a board for this... /3/
>>
>>2291509

I doubt Philippe would be posting here.

>>2291856

There isn't anything to critique as everything is bad. Start again and do asaro head.
>>
>>2291867
what do you mean its bad?, looks ok to me, better than what I could do 3d sculptwise
>>
>>2291879
Op here, he's blunt but he's right.
Honestly I think I got a couple things *almost* right and this makes me happy but this is not good by any means. Especially considering I was going for realism ...
My desire now is actually learning facial structure - maybe I'll start from a skull and then sculpt muscles and finally skin, or something like that.
>>
>>2291890
aside from the ears I could tell that was a human face by looking at it. You will not find a 'standardised' face in the real world (nor body).Artists get so het up about specifics they fail to see how little the stylised template conforms to reality
>>
File: 1435223713872.jpg (307 KB, 1200x1390) Image search: [Google]
1435223713872.jpg
307 KB, 1200x1390
>>2291906
>implying
>>
>>2291864
/3/ doesn't know shit about art, they just argue about which 3DCG program has the best GUI all day, whether the topology is shit et cetera.

I've been frequenting that board for about a year now or so, and I've only seen actual art-related discussion there once or twice.
>>
>>2291867
>There isn't anything to critique as everything is bad.

that's contradictory

if nothing is working, then everything can use critiques. if you're the same guy who said you're a professional sculptor then i really doubt you know what you're talking about
>>
>>2291468
ayy lmao
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.