[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: damien-hirst-shark.jpg (183 KB, 2541x917) Image search: [Google]
damien-hirst-shark.jpg
183 KB, 2541x917
What is art?
>>
File: fuckoff.jpg (40 KB, 460x500) Image search: [Google]
fuckoff.jpg
40 KB, 460x500
>>
>>2290267
that's sort of presupposing the question anon, as everyone knows the real question is what isn't art and FROG POSTING AND REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2290498
thanks for bumping a shitty thread with a shitty post you shitty human being.
>>
>>2290499
>>2290498
I dunno, I think the reaction reflects modern society's tendency to be fed up with the same rehashed questions. That which we can quickly answer, we already have. That which we cannot, we've already heard. In this day of technology and information, where our voices are drowned out by sheer data, sometimes the only way to be heard is to let out a piercing "ree".

The "ree" will be put down as the word of our generation.
>>
>>2290267
Things people do to make other people feel things.
/thread
>>
it has a similar meaning to skill, so an artwork would be something made with skill.

why do people think they're clever for pretending a word has no meaning and then asking what things you should use that word to describe? if a 3 year old was pointing at every object in the room and asking whether they were cats you'd tell them to stop being silly.
>>
File: MGS4-Guide-Art-MGS2.jpg (286 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
MGS4-Guide-Art-MGS2.jpg
286 KB, 600x450
something constructed by a human purposely that has no practical value other than entertainment.
>>
>>2290267
Objectively? Whatever makes people with no art knowledge go "woo"

That's the harsh truth
>>
>>2290677

but video games falls under entertainment
>>
ANYTHING YOU DESIRE!
>>
>>2290687
something constructed by humans for the purpose of entertainment that you don't interact with physically, how's that.
>>
>>2290677
I can see a chef making art when he does an incredible dish and displays great knowledge. Food has a practical value. The most practical of them all we could say.

Same goes for a high tier woodworker. You can have both practicality and artistic merit, so I think that's flawed.
>>
>>2290724
I think food and games and furniture can be constructed artistically but the fact that it serves a function overrides it being only art. so there are things that are purely art like a physical model/painting, and things that can be both, it's all in the purpose involved in the construction process.
cutting a piece of meat into a square and serving it equals a porduct that purely practical, not art.
crafting a robot shaped cake and serving it equals something that is made mostly for the purpose of entertaining with the consumption of food being a tersiary purpose, making it mostly art.
>>
>>2290267
baby don't hurt me
>>
>>2290691
that is an artifact

not art

art is a perception, not a product
>>
>>2290738
that's wrong, most things that are artifacts were constructed for a practical purposes. money, weapons, spears, etc.
the difference between an egyptian painting artifact and an egyptian spear artifact is the intent of it's construction.
one was constructed to be entertainment and one was constructed for practical use.
one is art and one is not.
does it really have to be more complicated than that?
>>
>>2290731
Yeah but a painting serves the purpose of decoration too at this point. 99.9% of the people who buy a framed painting do it to fill the space on their walls, not to observe art.
>>
>>2290761
true, that's why what's considered art should be determined by why it's constructed. you can use the painting of the mona lisa as a dart board but that wasn't the intent of it's design.
>>
An excuse to create stupid and pointless shit for money
>>
BABY DONT HURT ME
>>
art is to entertain and intrest the viewer as well as excite the person making it because they are expressing things in a way they want to see it done.
>>
>>2290267
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
/thread
>>
>>2291460
there is no /thread answer to "what is art?"
>>
>>2290267
man that's cool as fuck
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.