[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /ic/ Im going to be selling all my belongings and moving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 25
File: 1409866988900.gif (3 MB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1409866988900.gif
3 MB, 640x720
Hello /ic/
Im going to be selling all my belongings and moving to Japan to work as an animator. I know all about the painfully long work loads. I know all about the shit pay. I know about how Japanese treat gaijin and all that jazz. I dont care.None of that matters to me right now. What really matters is that I want to be apart of something that actually matters in the animation world. I want to be apart of teams that make things that are revered by fans all across the world. I want to make things that actually MATTER. And I want to work on interesting projects other than kids shows or "adult" comedies.I don't like the animation scene in america one bit.Its a fucking joke. If you can call it that any way. Storyboarders that can barely draw being called animators is huge farce.I m making this thread hoping to get some good advice before I set out on my adventure. Don't take this as a troll thread. Im being 100% serious right the fuck now.
>>
>>2289511
>anime
>mattering

Jesus fuck, before your trip go find a Rothko and sit in front of it for a half hour.
>>
>>2289516
Anime does matter. A hell of a lot more than anything an american cartoonist makes. There are still fans for old anime that aired back in the 80s and some of them were marvels of animation even top art colleges showcase to their students.
>>
>>2289511
Take a chill pill and think rationally man. Don't just move to Japan then find work, instead get in contact with small (or large, your choice) animation studios first before moving countries.
Also, if you're going to attempt to be an anime animator, be prepared to go to other Asian countries instead (Outsourced work etc.)

take things one step at a time, and remember that in the end,
>It all returns to nothing
>>
>>2289525
>be prepared to go to other Asian countries instead
What do you mean? Will I have to go to Korea or something if my company tells me to? Would that mean I wouldnt even live in Japan during most of my work?
>>
>>2289519
>cartoons

You've seen the surge of 3D rendered cartoons right? It's cheaper, easier and did I mention cheaper? You want to move to a xenophobic country and break into a highly competitive industry. Where are your credentials from?

Don't be a retard OP.
>>
>>2289525
This. Have a job lined up before you move to another country, or things are just gonna fall apart.

And honestly, if you want to be an animator you should animate. Work with the shitty american companies first. Build up a resume, make yourself look hireable, You have to be good in order to be hired overseas. Suck it up and work until you're in a position where you can land a job in japan.

And yes, most animation is outsourced to korea these days.
>>
File: 09d.png (877 KB, 755x423) Image search: [Google]
09d.png
877 KB, 755x423
>>2289511
>Anime
>relevant outside of japan
Also
>I don't like the animation scene in america one bit.Its a fucking joke.
Wouldn't make more sense to work here then?
You know, where there isn't an overflowing amount of anime?
I mean, american anime-like style is pretty rare so it would caught more attention than in japan.
>>
>>2289537
I don't want to work in joke industry making tumblr cartoon #34543298. Sorry but that's just the way I feel. I know how animator's in America work. Its fucking easy. Baby shit compared to the amount of work a Japanese animator does. But you will constantly hear them complain about it on their tumblr's or twitters about how exhausting it is. Dont make me laugh... I wouldn't have any pride in my work to be doing such easy, soulless shit.And don't get me started on that fake anime crap.
>>
this thread is amusing

post your work op
>>
>>2289541
You first. You all are just going to call me a weeaboo any way and I don't have what it takes to make it. I really prefer some solid advice over trolling, thanks.
>>
>>2289542
We can't really give you solid advice until we see your portfolio though. Also I don't think anyone's going to judge you for having an anime style if you literally stated you're thinking of going to Japan.
>>
>>2289540
first of all you're an idiot. you seem to think that you'd just be able to be a showrunner or even work on a show just because you want to and that's not how it works. i doubt you even meet the bare minimum skill requirement that it'd take to even work on something as simple as adventure time desu
>>
>>2289540
I can't tell if this is a troll thread or you are that stupid.
Post your work and we may trust you and laugh even harder.
>>
>>2289542
>You first
i'm not the one dissing western cartoons while putting anime on a pedestal. i'm not the one acting like an idiot
>>
Can you even speak Japanese, OP?
>>
Don't talk about it just do it. Presumably you're young and you'll learn a lot about life. Just know you'll most likely fail. I did something similar, but without a goal and learned a ton of shit about life over the course of a half a year. I heard japan was pretty expensive though. I did this in a cheap developing country.
>>
>>2289511
Do you have a degree or 6 years experience in the field? If not good luck getting a work visa for anything but teaching english.
>>
>>2289547
>i doubt you even meet the bare minimum skill requirement that it'd take to even work on something as simple as adventure time desu
Thats funny considering the creator of that show can't even draw.
>>2289548
>>2289551
All im saying is if Anime wasn't as great as it was, it wouldnt have such an impact on people. Look at most modern american animators today. Majority of them are anime fans and praise it highly. I want to be apart of that and help make great shows that make people feel that way.Everyone forgets about cartoons. But almost everyone remembers anime.
>>2289553
I know a little, but not enough to hold a decent conversation.
>>2289556
I have a degree in Graphic Design.
>>
>>2289560
You do realize that not one person in this thread is going to take you seriously until you post some proof that you can at least draw better then the western animators you trash on right?
>>
>>2289560
>doesnt know how to animate
>bullshit degree in graphic design
>thinks he's above the creator of a show who's a cal arts grad

people on this board are so hilariously jaded and bitter
>>
File: 1419924171782.jpg (170 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1419924171782.jpg
170 KB, 640x480
>>2289560
>I have a degree in Graphic Design.
>>
>>2289560
>I know a little, but not enough to hold a decent conversation.
Get JLPT N1 if you don't have it already.
>>
Hi.
Lots of restaurants don't allow non-japanese in
Most animation studios will not hire someone if they are not 100% japanese, even if you are say 25% korean and it shows
In addition, the competition to get in is tough.
Also, being animator sucks there. It requires so much work and effort and you get very little pay. Many people only want that job for status purposes. It's like imagine a Harvard but the living conditions are similar to a concentration camp and you can only go for a degree that doesn't get you any money back, just bragging rights to employers
Now imagine all that but you don't have a high school education and you can barely understand english and your main language is a dead language
Oh yeah not to mention you're on ic so you probably suck at drawing
That is what you are telling us you want to do

Also if you want to draw those types of things, you are just as big of a "joke" as the american animation industry
>>
>>2289511
Is there a video from which this is from? I'd watch the shit out of a KyoAni doco
>>
>>2289529
Maybe you should do some fucking research instead of posting some grandiose bullshit on 4chan, retard. These are the types of things you should absolutely already know
>>
>>2289529
>Would that mean I wouldnt even live in Japan during most of my work?
Yes
A happy medium may be to live in Japan and be a freelancer on social media and whatnot. Maybe draw for other websites or do mini animations. Egoraptors shittiest cartoon got on mtv for christs sake. And look at kronpr1nz. Wasn't he living in japan for a while? Correct me if im wrong please so i don't misinform others
>>
OP, you don't need to go to Japan. Animators like JD Bahi work at home.
>>
animebooks dot com slash howtodrmochi dot html

Hey op wanna buy this book it's practically brand new and ill give you it $25 flat including shipping if you're in north america
(^:
>>
Anyone else feel like OP's not gonna make it?
>>
>>2289626
Not with this delusion and attitude. Without a single shred of evidence to back up his ambitions, we can only assume he's just here for attention and he's not actually planning anything.
>>
>>2289636
Nice gay little metaphor there, anon.
>>
>>2289540
I'm quite sure they work hard because they use out dated methods to do their shit. I'm not an expect in the animation field so I can't say for sure, but alot of Japan is like that.
>>
>>2289511
Do you even know how to speak Japanese anon?
>>
>>2289646
>>2289560
>>
>>2289560
Hahahahaha, grow up you manchild. I bet you're an obese virgin who wears kimonos and owns a katana and all that
>>
>>2289620
Bahi is extremely skilled so studios are willing to go extra miles to work with him.
I doubt OP is nearly that good.

OP will probably have to work as a lowly inbetweener for at least a couple of years which requires him to go to Japan (if he can get a visa at all).
>>
>>2289534
What's funny is it's actually not a competitive industry, there's an extreme lack of artists right now and too many anime being made. It's easy to get hired, the only problem is you have to know japanese
>>
>>2289669
Bullshit. Who told you THAT?
>>
File: intotheweeabooitgoes.jpg (170 KB, 570x489) Image search: [Google]
intotheweeabooitgoes.jpg
170 KB, 570x489
>>2289511
Please document your journey OP, I love to see neckbeards get BTFO.
>graphic design degree
My sides have never been this sore.
>>
>>2289674
I'd assume it's true considering animators in japan make less than minimum wage lmao.
>>
>Graphic design
Same as Makoto Shinkai, but it doesn't really matter though. If you can't animate, tough luck.

As a reference, this was JD Bahi's ticket to the industry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_y3eAgIcI
>>
>>2289684
No you faggot it was the years he put in before hand learning to draw that was his ticket.
>>
>>2289683
Many animation industries don't have enough money to give to their workers. It's not like they're begging for workers because they have so much content to produce and so much money to give. They have to overwork the very few workers they have and pay them small amounts in hopes that it all sells well. That's ONE of the reasons why youre seeing so many new no story only boobs anime lately. Try to make a point to buy products from people you want to support.
>>
animatorfag here
Unless you're god tier language skill comes first, so work on your Japanese and back it up with gesture and construction.
Animators only care about lines so don't worry about dicking around with painting. Graphite/charcoal renders are good though. Work in analog. Anyone who will hire a digital animator doesn't have a stigma against it, and anyone who won't will, so having your work traditional will give you more universal hire-ability.
>>
File: aksdalkdsflaksdf.png (77 KB, 839x395) Image search: [Google]
aksdalkdsflaksdf.png
77 KB, 839x395
>>2289674
>>2289683
>>2289688

Actual Animators working in japan told me
>>
>>2289704
Wow, get BTFO everyone.
>>
Im going to assume OP is either a dumb as fuck weeb gajin or a god tier troll, either way if he's the former, he should look into Kyoani's animation program. The company does train people how to animate and put them directly to work as far as I know.
>>
>>2289719
>Kyoani's animation program
Has a gaijin been accepted there?
>>
>>2289721
None that I know of.
The studio had gaijin interns though.
>>
File: maromi_by_zashy1xqck-d49787j.png (182 KB, 900x1180) Image search: [Google]
maromi_by_zashy1xqck-d49787j.png
182 KB, 900x1180
>>2289511
>>2289519
>>2289529
>>2289540
>>2289542
>>2289560
>>2289704

Master Anon!
I humbly request you to join our little group of fellow animators. Some of us want to go to japan to animate as well, you could help each other. Also we got one working as animator in Japan as well.
We hang out on google hangouts most of the time, sharing screens on what we are working on, and with time formed friendly bonds.
If you are willing to give us a try, add me on skype: chi.ich
I don't really want bullys, so i just give this one contact. If you don't have skype, make one, just for me sharing hangout link. it's always the same one for convenience.

The Maromi picture should tell me, also the fact that i'm from Hungary, Budapest (I think it shows on skype?)
>>
>>2289742
of course it's not limited to only op, anyone with similiar goals (animation), would be interested in joining us can add me.
>>
>>2289745
>Skype
>Can see IP

differentI anon, Ireally want to join, but uh, nah
>>
>>2289750
actually i met up with one of the group members and plan on doing that just that in the future later as well. It's fun.
>>
>>2289511
>I know all about the painfully long work loads. I know all about the shit pay. I know about how Japanese treat gaijin and all that jazz. I dont care.None of that matters to me right now.
Weeaboo in denial. You will start thinking about suicide within two months. Though that would do the world a great service so do keep going.

>What really matters is that I want to be apart of something that actually matters in the animation world. I want to be apart of teams that make things that are revered by fans all across the world. I want to make things that actually MATTER.
The hilarious part is that anime is pretty much the single thing with the least quality standards, because its fans are rabid retards who. Every producer openly admits this and the fact that anime has gone on a downfall of low quality fanservice because it's the only thing that can keep them alive.

Actually, this has to be bait. You cannot be this fucking delusional and oblivious. Carry on.
>>
>>2289560
>All im saying is if Anime wasn't as great as it was, it wouldnt have such an impact on people.
Good choice of words there.
Since western animation is by far more popular and impactful than anime, I guess it's superior to anime.

>Everyone forgets about cartoons. But almost everyone remembers anime.
Much like the tumblrfags, you live in a circlejerk/bubble about a thing that is actually irrelevant, but since you focus all your time on it, and all your friends are into it, you mistakenly believe it's some mainstream thing.

It isn't. Anime is niche as fuck. Open your fucking eyes, you're pathetic.
>>
>>2289529
>be told you may not live in japan for business reasons of whatever animation studio you may find
>sound extremely disappointed as if it's not worth working anymore
wait let me get this straight, do you want to animate or live in japan? you do realize these are two different things, right?
if you are just a weebfag who dreams of living in japan, with the side bonus of working there as a secondary reason, god help you m8, you're pretty fucked up
>>
>>2289511
You should stop smoking whatever you've been smoking.
>>
>>2289767
pot calling the kettle black. cartoonfags are living in their own little bubble when they make stupid claims as you do. and just look at tumblr to see what kind of impact cartoons nowadays make.

>>2289511
that being said, OP you're too naive.
>I dont care.None of that matters to me right now
but it should. you should to at the very least do your research.
notice how half of your post is a rant about the western industry. if you just want to go there just because you dislke the western industry, you should think twice. remember, the grass is greener on the other side.

also like the others said, i doubt you have the skill.
>>
>>2289511
Nice RP
>>
>>2289779
>google search

>"anime"
>263 million results
>anime is the broadest possible term, can include all anime ever made, and all studios
>all of the anime traffic infact lies on the internet as people download episodes, illegally or otherwise, it's most of the world's only choice to access anime, so there is plenty of establishment
>it means "soul" in most of the latin derived languages so a whole lot of search results are from there - also I am from one of those very countries, so google is being biased towards the word "soul", adding up more results than it should for the japanese animation term

>"disney"
>494 million results
>a single company within an industry

I don't like western cartoons nor am I an aspiring cartoonist. You are being delusional if you think anime isn't infinitely more niche than western animation. I advise you to get your head out of your ass and burst that comfort bubble of yours. It'll help you out in life.
>>
>>2289519
>Anime does matter. A hell of a lot more than anything an american cartoonist makes. There are still fans for old anime that aired back in the 80s and some of them were marvels of animation even top art colleges showcase to their students.
Nigga, Snow white was made like 70 years ago and people still watch it, the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>2289658
Not OP but, it's ok to be an inbetweener to start.
It's important to have something to be a good animator.
>>
They don't hire foreigners
>>
>>2289511
2D Animation in america is dead, almost everything is animated in South Korea. If you want to make 2D animation, america is not your place to stay.
Be strong if you want to make your dream comes true.
>>
>>2289799
They hire!
>>
Look at LeSean Thomas, OP. Started from nothing, now making his own anime.
>>
>>2289810
This. LeSean Thomas is one based black bastard
>>
>>2289511
Well, this is like cartoon network works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_UUqUHXzUI
Go to Japan or South Korea if you want to do it.
Take a look at this Ted Talk with LeSean Thomas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUOgdz9UWCk

And don't just dream! Go make something!
>>
>>2289813
Fuck! Cartoon Network don't animate the shit? WTF?! What are those tumblr animators? Or they animate some shows?
>>
>>2289799
This. There are Asian studios outside Japan and South Korea that do in-between work for anime. If all you want is experience, you may also consider that.
>>
>>2289810
>Started from nothing, now making his own anime

He was trying hard, developing skills. From nothing destroys all the path to get where he is now...
>>
>>2289817
>Things are magical
It's one of the /ic/ fables, people believes that draw is easy. than people try to draw, post shit @ begginers thread and give up, cuz they don't try harder for months and years to git gud.
>>
>>2289685
>>2289817
Are people here always pedantic? OP should know that it takes hard work. That's a given. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2289511
Don't listen to these fags and stay away from thinking rationally. just go for it
good luck dude, I wish I had a fraction of your attitude ten years ago
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>2289511

Goodluck you glorious, delusional son of a bitch.
>>
>>2289704
You know that even tho the demand is high, the pay is still breadcrumbs right?
>>
>>2289779
>pot calling the kettle black. cartoonfags are living in their own little bubble when they make stupid claims as you do. and just look at tumblr to see what kind of impact cartoons nowadays make.
Anime is niche.
Why the fuck do you think it doesn't get outside japan.
Cartoons are far more successful.
>>
File: 1433221444446.jpg (221 KB, 630x421) Image search: [Google]
1433221444446.jpg
221 KB, 630x421
Even if OP manages to get a job there as an animator, he'll crack under the crazy pressure and either kill himself or be crawling back to america within two months. The racism alone would be enough to break his spirit.
>>
>>2289841
>Why the fuck do you think it doesn't get outside japan.
Anime is very popular in many asian countries outise japan and even the middle east. I don't know what you are talking about. By the way, people outside America don't even know the difference between Disney and Dreamworks. They believe EVERY American animated movie is fucking Disney.
>>
>>2289842
>racism

thats not how that word works
>>
>>2289846
But japan is a racist country
>>
>>2289843
>Anime is very popular in many asian countries outise japan and even the middle east. I don't know what you are talking about.
Nigger, they get audience outside of japan because of the fan-subs. There are some that get the treatment of getting a dub but that's pretty fucking rare.
>people outside America don't even know the difference between Disney and Dreamworks. They believe EVERY American animated movie is fucking Disney.
so
>>
>>2289846
Oh im sorry. I mean "xenophobic". Its toally different from racism!
>>
>>2289848
sooooo if you did a google search of "Disney" then you will get a shitload of stuff thats not even disney under it.
>>
>>2289848
>>2289843
Is disney animating they 2D stuff? I am shocked that everything is made in korea.
>>
>>2289511
Here's an actual testimony by a guy from New York that moved to Japan to be an animator and is still there. You should read it OP
http://kotaku.com/being-an-animator-in-japan-is-brutal-1690248803
This probably won't change your mind, but its closest thing to good advice I can give you.
>>
>>2289511
>That gif

What a waste of paper
>>
>>2289871
now you are just being bitter anon. so is most people in this thread.
>>
>>2289511
I totally get your passion and I won't condemn you like the above posters. I honestly think especially if you are young to give it your all and attempt to break-in to the industry. While doing this please consider an angle that will either make you indispensable or look to branch out on your own after a few years experience.

At worst you will come out as having a unique set of skills/perspective that should be desirable to the industry in the west.
Best of luck, it's not going to be easy.
>>
OP,you are cringe worth.
I enjoy anime,mostly movies.but most of it it's unoriginal trash,made to get $ from weebs like you.
I would rather work in the US/canada or here in europe in some small indie studio and actually try and make something fresh than being a fucking robot ,tracing someones in-between frames.

oh sorry,to say,but you are not gonna make it. even if you are good.
>>
>>2289511
why the fuck would even consider moving to a country with such terrible work culture? Do you hate yourself? If you are this dedicated, why not begin your own small project or something, at least it'll beef up your portfolio.
>>
File: Maromi.gif (998 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
Maromi.gif
998 KB, 500x273
>>2289511
>>2289511
>>2289511
>>2289511
OP
P

if you are still alive please just respond to me, because I WANT YOU.

>>2289742
>>2289742
>>2289742
>>2289742
>>2289742
>>2289742
>>
File: 06.jpg (193 KB, 1500x1061) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
193 KB, 1500x1061
>>2289511
I think you're better of posting your stuff online and building a fanbase. Maybe work at a few animation studios in your native country so you can get an idea of what goes on behind the scenes.

If you jump straight to japan instead, please god, at least be fluent in moonrune.
>>
You'll need a bachelor degree and at least n2 level proficiency before even attempting this. In addition you'll need To get a work visa sponsored by the company.
In most cases you'll also need 6-12 months proof of being finacially secure and a place to stay before you go to Japan.
>>
OP is about to get a real hard lesson in reality.
>>
>>2289940
Post your work and maybe i'll join.
>>
>>2289986
Also:
Not to dissuade you but getting sponsored in something not extremely technically critical/in-demand is hard.

Not impossible but hard.
In most cases Japan wishes to remain a homogeneous culture and will always give preference to natives above anyone else.
>>
>>2290036
are you op?
>>
>>2290031
He seems insistent on getting it. Let him. It'll teach him something.
>>
>>2290064
Why are you scared to post your work online? lmao.
>>
>>2290103
>i post images alongside every single response in order to shield myself against being called out by random shitters on /ic/

kay.
>>
File: 1438517171978.jpg (228 KB, 776x1119) Image search: [Google]
1438517171978.jpg
228 KB, 776x1119
>>2290036
>>
File: 1435065964213.jpg (3 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
1435065964213.jpg
3 MB, 3000x4000
>>2290115
>>
>>2290123
stop forcing this
>>
>>2289519
>Rothko
>American Cartoonist

BUY YOUR PLANE TICKET TONIGHT AND GET THE FUCK OUT BEFORE YOU LOWER THE BIRTHRATE ANYMORE YOU'LL BE HAPPY IN JAPAN THEY LOVE VIRGINS AND HATE 3D PIG DISGUSTING GROSS I WISH YOU WELL
>>
>>2290103
So i'm just to assume your entire group is filled with a bunch of beginners and a weeb from japan? impressive.
>>
>>2290211
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>2290211
>implying youre not a beginner yourself
kek.
>>
>>2290253
>>2290259
Sounds like a great group of circlejerkers you go there. Good luck on your self delusions.
>>
>>2290271
thank you.
good luck to you as well, whatever you are doing.
>>
>>2290039
underrated post
>>
>>2289843
HOL UP HOL
SO WATCHU SAYAN
HOL UP
WACHU SAIYAN
ANNY MEA ISNT DAT ONE GIRL
WIT DA BIG AEYS
>>
>>2290253
where is this copy and pasted from?
>>
>>2289511
>I want to make things that actually MATTER
>And I want to work on interesting projects other than kids shows or "adult" comedies.
>Storyboarders that can barely draw being called animators is huge farce.
Oh man. This fucking guy. 10/10 troll for making me reply.
>>
>>2290750
well the autist show rick and mortys animation is balls
>>
File: anons future.jpg (435 KB, 1100x500) Image search: [Google]
anons future.jpg
435 KB, 1100x500
>>
>>2289511
isnt this one of those scenarios where you take a risk, it doesnt pay off and you´re fucking somewhere in asia without idea of what you´re gonna do next?
like first of all do you have a guaranteed job when you are going there, just "trying" doesnt work in your area and it wont work in japan either especially since i´ve heard they´re kinda racist to gaijins
>>
I suggest you listen to this interview with one of madhouse's animator
https://soundcloud.com/the-pegbar-and-grill/episode-4-aya-suzuki
>>
>>2290874
I work in Japan. 100% accurate.
>>
>>2289511

OP I understand you intents in a way but you are talking like a 12 yo kid.

have you seen the animators survival kit yet? if not I recommend you to read the book and watch the dvd's.

it doesn't matter where you are, who you work for. try to establish your own culture where you are living. find some other partners like yourself.

it's what passionate people do. they usually don't find opportunities so they take the challange.
>>
>>2291136
oh btw op if you're still there

miyazaki no rasuto movie was for all those passionate people who needs to understand their own situation and make better things where they are. it takes a change from interior not from exterior. not everybody can go to japan and work for ghibli.

you can't become a good animator if you can't make good animations and this comes from experience and hard work. not from japan...

be the good animator first then you get to chose whereever you want.
>>
>>2289511

Go follow your dream. Safe choices do not make great people.
>>
File: you took the bait.png (479 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
you took the bait.png
479 KB, 625x626
>>2289511
>>
File: 1042.jpg (14 KB, 200x211) Image search: [Google]
1042.jpg
14 KB, 200x211
>>2289560
>I want to sell all my shit and work at a min-pay job in Japan that will work me to the bone
also
>I know a little, but not enough to hold a decent conversation
>I am looking for work in one of the most xenophobic work enviroments in the world and I can't even speak their language properly

Baiting aside, you are either suicidal or delusional.
>>
>>2289511
So you've decided that you want to denounce your corresponding culture to go live the weab's heaven fantasy life in Japan, regardless of you being an autistic American, regardless of them being quite possibly the most xenophobic people in the world, regardless of you being a pretentious faggot, and regardless of the fact that you can animate outside of the country for a Japanese company. What fucking business do you have over there? Life in Japan and animation in Japan isn't like your MOA fag slice of life bull shit that you watch in your comfortable little American home while eating your imported pocky. How about you denounce your culture into something else, like a Muslim and just join ISIS.
>>
Please take me with you OP i can't stand this god forsaken country filled with gaijin. I had no say in where i was born. I feel like i would rather seppuku myself than spend another year here.
>>
>>2290926
Why don't you just market yourself like Bahi or Lesean Thomas? Isn't there some renown to be had since you're working in japan? are you a foriegner to japan??
>>
>>2291159
This is the right response. OP needs to realize that its solely up to him to create the work he wants to see in the world.

To be honest, Japan is past its hey day of its animation peak. Ghibli is literally the last/only masterful animation studio there, on its last threads.
>>
>>2289860

Wow the pay is just simply fucked up, that's worse than working a job at Mcdonalds in America.

I guess the money in anime goes only to the film directors like miyazaki and hideo anno? There's probably no foreigner working in a good art director or background artist position I imagine....
>>
>>2291159
>miyazaki no rasuto
What's this? Is there an alternate title? Google isn't giving good results.
>>
File: hwcgxgrko0a43rlzfyzz.gif (2 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
hwcgxgrko0a43rlzfyzz.gif
2 MB, 640x266
>>2289511

If you actually just want to work on important projects, or even just hand-drawn projects period look to Europe. It's about as good or better than Japan these days in terms of thematic and visual interest, the difference being they're more focused on features & shorts than TV animation (as far as I know anyway).

If you're that stubborn about Japan I hope you find fanservice and uninspired storytelling to be important, because that's going to be the majority of your initial work. If I were you I'd be more excited about animating period instead of having delusions of grandeur about working on the next GITS something. If there's one thing Japanese animation has going for it, it's that there's still an abundance of real animation jobs, and you can actually work your way up from an entry level position.

It's also worth noting that there ARE American studios that are trying to go against the grain. You just have to look a little harder than not at all. Even if there aren't any, you should be trying to make the work that you want to see whenever possible. Don't wait for Japanese schoolgirls to sprinkle fairy dust on you in akihabara to start.

All that said, I admire your passion (narrow-minded as it may be). If you can manage to pull your head out of your ass, steel yourself for the oncoming hardship, and be sure to go through a language school in Tokyo while constantly drawing from life, go for it. Just know that you can't half-ass this. You need to be fluent in Moon, and you need to be a highly-skilled and professional artist. There are no shortcuts. Good luck.

>>2291527
>There's probably no foreigner working in a good art director or background artist position I imagine....

https://twitter.com/Yann_Le_Gall
https://twitter.com/sainasix
https://twitter.com/AYMRC
https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo
Bear in mind those are Gobelins graduates, but it's doable.
>>
>>2291159
kek anon
I meant miyazaki's last movie = )

japanese people pronunciate "l"s as "r"

so last=rasuto

no means "his" or "her" in japanese

his last movie is called "the wind rises"
>>
>>2291640

Wow, thanks for the response. I didn't know about those animators!

That makes me hopeful as an animation student, that international opportunities exist a little wider than I thought.

I agree about the Europe. It is probably the best place a student from Calarts or Goebilins can go to actually be a part of traditionally animated films.
>>
>>2291571
>>2291861
>>
>>2291349
Not him, but Bahi isn't working as a regular animator grunt at a studio, he's a key animator and animation supervisor. He got famous for his expressive, unique style and studios hire him for that. That's a very different thing than what it is like to be one of many easily replaceable low tier animators at a studio.

There isn't much marketing to be done if all you have to show people are your incredible in-between frames of moeshit tv anime #512
>>
File: novaseed.jpg (217 KB, 800x448) Image search: [Google]
novaseed.jpg
217 KB, 800x448
OP do what you gotta do, stay focused, but be honest to yourself.

this is semi-related - nick diliberto, a brilliant animator moved to japan to produce his first feature film, but it seems like he's having a hard time of finding a distributor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADm0BSHMeA
>>
>>2289860
It's so weird, his in-between frames work on anime looks just fine, but his personal work is so ugly.
>>
File: tumblr_nxwis090m91u07yx2o1_500.jpg (143 KB, 500x690) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxwis090m91u07yx2o1_500.jpg
143 KB, 500x690
>>2291966
>NOVEMBER 16, 2015

lmao
>>
Sorry to hurt you OP but if your japanese is not really good, don't even think of finding a job in the animation industry. Even before your art skill, a good level of japanese is the first requirement.
Finding a job is not difficult for a gaijin even with a bad Japanese but the animation industry (like others) is different. Nobody talk English and they don't have time to lose with someone who can't properly communicate.

My advise for you would be to move to Japan, find a job that gives you a working visa and a decent pay (you will need savings when you will start as an animator), working on your Japanese at the same time, then apply for animation studio.

Good luck with your project. Don't listen to people who say it's impossible or useless. Just, prepare yourself.

<<3D modeler living in Japan. Also hope to be part of this industry when I'll be ready.
>>
>>2289846
It kind of is... Racism doesn't have to physically violent or loud. It can be simple things like a sign at a shop saying "no foreigners" or a company that refuses to hire you just because you're not of "the right" nationality". (And I'm not talking about an idiot like OP. If you can't even speak the language, but want a job that involves being able to communicate, then a company has very good reason to be skeptical about hiring you)
>>
>>2289511
Enjoy drawing pedo pandering shit for the rest of your life until you break down and kill yourself
>>
File: 1306963736091.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1306963736091.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>2291966
Of course his in-betweening looks good you faggot, It's 90% interpolation. You obviously don't understand what in-betweening is.
As for OP, enjoy not knowing shit advice from your dick. You obviously know absolutely nothing about animation from your posts, and have an equal possibility of taking absolute shit advice to heart as you do honest, heart felt advice.

Good luck, shitposting faggot.

And to think people actually want an animation board... shit's ridiculous.
>>
>>2291979

Do you work at Polygon? I've heard they're pretty gaijin friendly. Translators on staff and everything.
>>
>>2289511
Did you make the OP? If you did you might have a chance at making it into possibly one of the worst creative environments ever.
>>
>>2292162
Seek help.
>>
>>2292003
you read the definition of racism, right?
>>
>>2292077
Not working yet. I'm learning Japanese in a school but I have a part time job in a small 3D company. But polygon is one of the company I will apply for. There are a lot of gaijin friendly company in 3D actually. Finding a job shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2289540
>Homeless in Japan or being worked to death like a wild animal in a foreign animation studio...
>>
>>2291861
no or の does not mean "his" or "her" in japanese, its a particle that indicates possesion usually
a good english example would be
"My dog"
"私のいぬ”
or
"Angela's cat"
"アンゲラさんのねこ”
>>
>>2291964
>nick diliberto

his medusa film was great. im not a huge fan of his colouring but the animation, storytelling and cuts were great
>>
>>2292162
>these are the same people that give critique on /ic/
HOLY FUCK.
>>
>>2292806
Anon. You sure showed him, and your superior intellect and understanding. Who gives a shit. Fedora-core besserwissers goes >>>/reddit/ here.
>>
>>2290115
Is this picture a meme? I've seen it about a thousand times
>>
>>2292847

lurk more
>>
File: 1445480962870.jpg (93 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1445480962870.jpg
93 KB, 1024x1024
>>2292031

ATASHI NO YUME WAH
>>
>>2289511
OP do you have a art blog/tumblr or email contact?
>>
>>2289511
Follow your dream OP, dont listen to these shitheads.

Its better to have followed your dream and failed than listen to the advice of people you dont even know.

Theyre upset, jealous even. They know the animation industry, the art industry in general is garbage where they live, they cant escape it, so they project their anger on everyone else. They still uphold animation from nearly 50 years ago as the current example of animation from their country but its extinct, non existent. Modern times there is no good animation.

Japan is the only place where animation is lucrative, these people in this thread are only thinking of money and fame, if you know the risks and hardship, and just want to do something you LOVE, then by all means go for it.
Doing what you love is most important in life.
>>
>>2289519
This guy gets it/ There is a gold rush the pretentious have yet to realize/ Keep striving.
>>
>>2293357
>....Modern times there is no good animation.
>Japan is the only place where animation is lucrative...
You're a moron, what are you 13?

Following your dream doesn't mean jumping headlong into a situation that you're totally unprepared for and have no hope of succeeding in. OP sounds totally delusional about what it means to get a job in a country like Japan. Coming to terms with reality and finding solutions to problems isn't giving up on your dream, you're not going to make it with your head buried up your ass.

He'd probably never make it anyway, nothing is stopping him from working on his stuff now and getting better/making a name for himself online. If he really wanted to be badass at animation he's just do it, you'd have to be good to get a job over there anyway. I doubt they're going to just let you in without some sort of work experience or job already lined up. As others have said you may not have to live there to do work for companies over there.

Sounds more like he's in love with the idea of it rather than actually doing it.
>>
>>2293357
>lucrative
>you get no money or fame you cant even buy ice cream cause "no foreigners allowed"
>pay is shit
>you will be literally a starving artist in some far away country
>follow your dreams (to the early grave in this case)
>>
>>2293378
All hinging on even getting a work visa in a massively xenophobic country.
>>
>>2293374
>Following your dream doesn't mean jumping headlong into a situation that you're totally unprepared for and have no hope of succeeding in.

Yes It Is.
>>
File: ggaaa.jpg (38 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
ggaaa.jpg
38 KB, 413x395
>>2293401
Pathetic. lmao
>>
>>2289511
You got balls man I truly respect that, your a tiny fraction of the people here. Good luck, fuck shit up you only live once.
>>
>>2293374
>>2293401
>>
>>2293427
That's some high tier shitposting
>>
>>2293401
>Going this full retard

Following your dream for people who aren't totally fucking delusional means working towards it realistically. But since humans are shit at working towards something that might be 2, 3, 5 years off, you instead cling to some romantic notion that if you just really believe, nothing else matters.

I hope you look good enough to ladyboi it up for ticket home money, OP.
>>
>>2293443
I'm not Op/ Thank you for your assumptions/
>>
>>2293401
No, it isn't. That's the hollywood version of "just do it."

In reality that's how people become delusional about their dreams and think they can instantly get everything they want. (See average IC retard looking to go from zero to pro in a single year.) And when they eventually don't get results quickly (trying to sprint towards the finish line) then get tired, disillusioned and give up. Being smart, planning a path (even a generic one) and looking ahead at the problems that might arise shouldn't discourage you from "doing it". If it does, then you never really wanted it bad enough in the first place you just wanted something to be handed to you.

Selling all your shit and moving to japan when you don't speak the language or have joj lined up isn't even a plan. Do you know if you can even get a work visa? Housing?

There are things like laws that will prevent you from just "doing it." no matter how hard you try.

>>2293426
OP doesn't have anything, he hasn't done anything besides talk.
>>
>>2293476
When did we start talking about OP?When did i reference Hollywood?

Your points are valid to the points you are making but what does that have to do with me? I'm not OP/
>>
>>2293476
Further more what if I were to tell that there is a balance to dream seeking and your anti-delusions of a delusion are delusions within themselves/ If you were truly following your dreams you wouldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>2289540
do you know how to animate?
show portefolio
>>
>>2289560

> graphic design
> animation
pick one!

graphic design is not learning to draw or to animate

you just sound like a pretentious fuck
>>
>>2293502
> If you were truly following your dreams you wouldn't give a fuck.
Maybe, but just "following your dreams" isn't a recipe for actually attaining them. That mentality is just a romanticized hollywood version of the world.

I'm not telling OP don't do it, just be realistic. You don't have to be naive and childish in your thinking to attain a goal.

There is more to his dream than just moving to japan and parts of it can be worked on before moving. Part of it is learning to animate and improving his skills, part is learning japanese, he doesn't need to move to japan to do that. Where the delusion comes in is when you get to the "I just have to move to japan or this isn't going to happen." It's not giving up to prep yourself before going there, it's all part of working towards it. (Key word: work) The act of moving to japan wont make the dream come true it's just another step (granted it's a large one) along the path.

To me the lust for "just doing it" is, again, another symptom of the "i want it now" mentality. Instead OP should look at the immigration laws, see how to get a work visa from the county. Learn the language, improve his animation skills, etc. This is something that could take years to accomplish, it's not giving up to actually spend those years working towards it.

If op actually has the will and motivation to doing all this then he should also have the motivation to work on his art while in his home country. The fact everything hinges on moving makes me think he doesn't have it and thinks being in japan will force him to buckle down.
>>
>>2293949
>part is learning japanese, he doesn't need to move to japan to do that.

While true, technically that's the better way to go assuming he goes to a language school for a year or two (which gives you a student visa). You not only learn the language, but you get your feet wet in a pretty much alien culture while being given infinite opportunities to practice conversation. I've talked to a few people that have done what OP wants, and this route is stressed heavily, as you need to be confident with speaking and reading to do well there. The key thing if you go that way is to learn some of the writing systems beforehand. The Chinese people at those schools will already be familiar with kanji characters, so you'd feel really behind without it.

I will say that there's also no reason you can't contribute to anime productions from outside Japan, though that's pretty rare (but could be more common as time goes on). Ben Li, Jeremy Polgar, and a bunch of French animators did cuts for a few Space Dandy episodes from their home country. I'm pretty sure Jamie Vickers does freelance genga while on his long-term stay in southeast asia, but I'm probably wrong about that..
>>
>>2295144
Insightful post my friend.
>>
>>2295144
>which gives you a student visa
Uh great, so how are you going to make money to eat? Housing? Everyday purchases? So you're going to go to school and get a job as well? But OP doesn't know the language yet so that could be hard, you'll need money right away not a year or two later. You could take out loans, if you can get them, but you'll end up with a chunk of debt.

So once you finish school and a job for the day (can you even get a job while on a student visa? I have no clue.) you're going to also practice animation? Or go to school for animation? On top of everything else?

Why not learn Japanese in your home country, practice animation and when you have a basic understanding of the language and decent work move there. Then take classes there. You'll only be making failure more likely the harder it is.

All the people you've named who have done work in japan as forgivers I assume are people with years and years under their belts and are at a high skill level. OP sounded like he didn't even know how to animate, he might not even have a good handle on the basics of drawing.
>>
>>2291977

What the shit is this? Why would a studio hire someone who can't draw?
>>
>>2295380
animators dont need to be incredible artists, expecially when working with a team
>>
>>2295404
Not that anon but, lol wut?

You'd still have to meet a basic standard of work on par with what the studio puts out. If your work is bad how are you going to compete against all the much better candidates applying for the same jobs? You think they'll hire you because you're a nice guy?

OP already wants to work in one of the most xenophobic countries, his skill in art will be one of the few if not the only reason a studio would want to work with him/hire him. They can get oodles of native born people to fill the low tier jobs.
>>
>>2295443
If you actually read this thread, you'd realize there's an over saturation of jobs. And in betweening is just copying in most cases.
>>
>>2295380

It's called an animation director.
>>
>>2289842
>Black
>Want to live in Japan for a year.

Not even a weeb I just want to know what it'd be like.

Like I won't go on a /pol/ ramble, but I'm a suburbanite and the worst thing I've ever been called is an Uncle Tom, but I have a legitimate interest in what the day-to-day would be like living in a no-fucks-given country that isn't ashamed to tell you you aren't welcome lol.
>>
>>2295808
it's shit trust me.
>>
>>2295808
black jap reporting. its okay, I didnt get any stares, it boils down to how dark you are. I can pass as an okinawan
>>
>>2295817
Lol I cannot.
I'm not oil-tier but I'm unmistakably black.
>>
>>2295449
>f you actually read this thread, you'd realize there's an over saturation of jobs.
Again, lol wut?

So there is an over saturation of jobs because some anonymous people on 4chan claim there is?

And even if that were true how does that address the issue of a xenophobia, lack of job experience/animation skill, not knowing the language and visa laws?

No one is just going to hire a non-native born pleb because there are "openings". It's still a business and you need to have something to offer. This moronic line of reasoning is just about the same as the "You can be unskilled, but if you're nice you'll get a concept job." thread.

Stay delusional anon.
>>
>>2289684
Regarding this bahi animation, I've always wondered, was this really sufficient to get him work? I mean I have no clue regarding animation really, but wouldn't they want something more finished? Would something this rough be accepted for work? Will the employer simply accept this for the animation itself, and send it to somebody else who will make it look good (I mean with clean lines etc.) ?
From this video alone, there's no way to know whether this guy can do something cleaner or not. I find it hard to believe they would hire him based on this alone, but that's what everybody seem to be implying when they bring this video up.
>>
>>2289511
I hope you know Japanese. Even Thomas Romain and the other French bg artist say the most important skill for a foreign animator in Japan is not animating, it's speaking FLUENT Japanese.
Japanese people will immediately judge you and think you're not capable. Communication is super important in animation as they don't want to waste 100+ hours a year on things that were misinterpreted.

Do not speak Japanese as if you're speaking your own language. Imitate a Japanese person. Learn to imitate how they speak and sound, and talk like them. Do it so well they forget you're a gaijin.
>>
File: pygmy falcon.jpg (105 KB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
pygmy falcon.jpg
105 KB, 640x368
>>2289511
>I want to be apart of something that actually matters in the animation world
>something that actually matters
>matters
>anime
>>
>>2296101
Iv met Thomas Romain at anime expo got his bok signed too. But i asked him about shit like retas and Bahi JD. He said that he is very talented young guy hes 24 year old Austrian. And that yes freelance animators are starting to use flash more and just having the studios line artist just trace over. Bahis ticket was that he had exsposer to other Japanese animators using flash and skullgirls he just pushed the evolope if you will. You can read all his posts if you get a http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 account. He kinda of comes off as a generic deviant art poster though.
>>
>>2296103
Interesting information.

OP sounds like he doesn't even know how to animate, he's just in love with the idea of all this. Learning to animate will take years of practice to just get competent in, less I suppose if he can already draw well. I doubt he has the willpower to learn japanese to such a high level. You'd really have to love japanese and living in japan to put this kind of time in.

This thread is pretty pointless. OP can take the first steps of learning japanese and animation wherever he's at now and could have been doing this for years. Then move to japan once he has a foundation to build on.

Just all talk and wishful thinking.
>>
>>2295817
http://www.buzzfeed.com/krishrach/explain-what-its-like-being-black-in-japan#.min9g1e5d

try watching that
>>
Does anybody know just how hard it is to get a job working in Japan as an artist?
It seems like it would be easier than working as an artist in the states.
>>
bumping because fuck tashy
>>
>>2296271
Thanks, will read.
>>
>>2290082
Because after amerifat weeaboos, hungarians are the biggest delusional faggots there is. I've joined a group of hungarian "animators" before. But god damn they're not aware of how unskilled they are.
Just cringe all over. I swear hungarians are the edgy newfags of the internet
>>
File: 61592_28.jpg (209 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
61592_28.jpg
209 KB, 1280x720
>>2296531
well they produced Macskafogó

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpJH938hlTM
>>
File: z8.jpg (3 MB, 950x2688) Image search: [Google]
z8.jpg
3 MB, 950x2688
>>2296271
yeah imagine my face, when I found out Bahi JD was Austrian, living in the same town as me.
there I was complaining about how it's nearly impossible for an Austrian to get into the animation business, pathetic
and then I stumbled upon Bahi JD's work.
believe me, I am no romantic 'nothing is impossible' person now, but it was enough to realize, that it's certainly possible for me to go into Animation, if I really wanted to.
though I am not heading to the Anime district.
>>
>>2296543

I grew up watching that.
Hungarian animation in the 70s & 80s was great. the people who made those were professionals ( even with experience or education from abroad - during fuckin socialism they were allowed to study abroad - you coudnt cross the border 2 times a year to visit relatives).

I'm talking about the people like op in Hungary. All i see online, irl, on cons here is delusion.
>>
>>2291893
Not to mention bahi does not live in japan.

I met him and he said work is hard but he likes it. And he still seems to have enough time to occasionally play at small local smash bros tournaments.
>>
>>2290874
It's gonna be more like that c-tier group of animators from Italy or whatever it was that worked on One Piece and tried to make a Kitckstarter of their clusterfuck anime idea

I forgot what it was called but it imploded pretty quickly
>>
>>2296623
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/137939582/devils-legacy-the-animated-series
Found it
>>
>>2296642
What the fuck man, it's like they had a few good animators and a bunch of shitters. It looks like two different animes sometimes.
>>
File: shot0002.jpg (207 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shot0002.jpg
207 KB, 1280x720
>>2289511
OP, you should watch the seventh episode of Hackadoll.
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.