[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /ic/ rate this progress
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 11
File: progress.png (309 KB, 923x524) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
309 KB, 923x524
How does /ic/ rate this progress
>>
>>2289429
icepick chin/10
>>
>>2289429
Sycra plz go
>>
>>2289429
can't capture likeness so he samefaces/10
>>
>>2289437
I dunno if the initial picture even has a likeness tho
>>
>>2289429
Disregarding the chin, you can tell there's a lot more confidence in the newer drawing, and attention to shape design
>>
desu I like the 2015 one better, Seems like he felt a lot more comfortable drawing it.
>>
>>2289446
I've been on this board for a few years, and I never knew we had word filters.
>>
>>2289449
I'm not sure which one desu is filtering, but I know senpai is for f-a-m
>>
>>2289446
The word filter came into effect on Halloween. There's been a lot less t.b.h. and f.a.m.
>>
>>2289453
So they're just getting rid if blackisms. 4chan confirmed racist
>>
>>2289429
Now that I've been watching Sycra's videos, I've found out that he's actually really fucking good, especially with color. He made a decision to go for an extreme stylistic look and it alienated some people but I have a lot of respect for how much work he put in, and frankly I enjoy his videos because he's really human about it.
>>
senpai
>>
>>2289472
also he can actually teach
>>
>>2289562
Exactly, I've only been watching his videos a few days and he's said sooooo much that makes just so, so fucking much sense to me, it's already made a difference in some key areas. Fuck, his short video on picking colors that work was the first of any kind of color instruction that actually helped me understand things and there was an immediate improvement in my coloring right after I watched it the first time. I seriously don't understand why people are bashing him. If you just watch a few of his videos you can see some of the drawings he did before developing his style and you can tell he really knew his shit even back then. It's really a case of not judging a book by its cover with him, although I don't really understand looking at his stylized stuff and not being able to see the skill within it either.
>>
>>2289453
And s.m.h. becomes baka
>>
>>2289576
And c.uck becomes kek.
>>
>>2289429

His style would be really sick in a comic. He needs to pair up with a good writer and make something.
>>
>>2289451
Probably to b honesto
>>
>>2289451
Desu is for t-b-h
>>
>>2289581
that is the reason why he is doing that style, its for his secret slowly worked on story.
>>
>>2289596
>>2289580
>>2289576
i dont believe you guys so im gonna try it

desu senpai kek baka
>>
test test

>baka desu senpai kek baka
>>
>>2289429
I for one, know who drew the right one if you show me, while the left one could be by anybody. and since that's what sycra might be going for, he did a good job at it desu senpai, baka kek
>>
>>2289429
At least everyone knows when they're looking at a Sycra drawing
>>
Senpai baka kek
>>
>>2289429
I actually really like Sycra's pointy chins style. It has a lot of personality and uniqueness, which the drawing on the left definitely lacks. Also he goes wild with the design experiments sometimes (like the hair on the right) which I think is cool.

Also
>kek
>>
>>2289429
I just watched this video kek.

2015 is a really confident drawing. You can see it in the lines and that makes it a load more appealing. 2006 is really timid and comes off as weak. I'm not the biggest fan of Sycra's style but I really like it in this redraw. I respect him for staying true to what he likes despite the naysayers.
>>
>>2289429
I can't really add much more, everyone else pretty much summed it up.
He has way more confidence and it shows in the latter piece. People may not like the sharp style thing he has going but I think it works well.
>>
>>2289429

WAIT A MINUTE THAT CHIN
>>
2015 is way better, disregarding the chin of course. If he actually tried to draw it again in the same "realistic" style it would also look a lot better too
>>
>>2289598
>implying I'll fall for that shit
baka desu senpai kek
>>
kek desu senpai baka
>>
baka
>>
>>2289429
Much better strokes
Better perspective/anatomy in places, ruined in others (muh style)
Worse everything else

>9 fucking years of progress
Holy shit, that is scary anons. Is this diminishing returns coming into play, or is the guy just sticking with his comfort zone here? I'd lose the drive to draw if that was my improvement over an entire decade.
>>
>>2289777
You don't know what you're talking about. You've undoubtedly never truly seen his work. Watch either "Up to Mischief" or "Crickets" out of his Pointy Chins series if you think there's no substance to his work or that he created this style overnight on a whim. He put in a shit ton of time and effort, way more than anyone on here ever has. This is why most of /ic/ will go nowhere, you sit back and parrot each other's dislike for anyone successful without looking past the surface of their work, if you even bother to look at their work at all before you start criticizing it.
>>
>>2289892
Looks like you care about this person so much you're getting offended by him getting shit.
I'm sorry you grow emotionally attached to business figures, m8.

Leaving your superficial fanboyism aside, should I post all of the "look how better they got in one year" examples? I'm pretty sure you've seen them a million times around here by now.

You talk like this kid has had an amazing growth, it's not even remarkable. Perhaps you should get his cock out of your mouth and actually look at more than one artist?
>>
File: 605.jpg (1 MB, 512x6087) Image search: [Google]
605.jpg
1 MB, 512x6087
How does /ic/ rate this progress?(4 months)
>>
>>2289992
I've literally only known this guy existed for a few days, and it's actually because you fools keep making these threads trying to discount him. Me calling you out for not knowing how to recognize and analyze skill when you see it isn't the same as me defending him or saying he's almighty or anything like that. And calling you out for criticizing something that it's painfully obvious you haven't even actually looked at for more than 2 seconds is just prudence, that shit doesn't fly with anything, art related or not. The only thing I'm offended by is people talking out of their asses. It's okay though, like I said that's the reason why your short-sighted asses are going to be here forever.
>>
>>2290003
Hard to tell since they were mostly playing around with changing their style a bit, and the first image is probably very misleading to their actual skills.
>>
>>2290003
That's not progress. That's a fairly competent artist doing his thing over the course of 4 months, with all images being roughly the same quality.
>>
>>2290003
The last 2 are the worst, but there's no real progress overall.
>>
>>2289472
Sycra is garbage, his stylized work isnt even that good and he cant do anything else, how delusional are you
>>
>>2289992
>should I post all of the "look how better they got in one year" examples?

Just because someone can get, say, ten times better in a year doesn't mean they can get a hundred times better in ten years.

There are certain things that, as you learn them, you get a massive and demonstrable leap in quality. After you've learned all the fundamental parts (this can take a year or five depending on pace) it turns considerably more subjective. As /ic/ frequently loves to parrot, "you need to learn the rules before you can start to break them."

Sycra can and has done very technically capable art. He knows all the rules and he shows it frequently in his videos. He just chose to stop following all of them and develop his style instead. I think the pointy chin thing was a really bad call but that's his thing and if he likes it then whatever.

/ic/ really does too much "x person hasn't improved objectively at a steady rate after x years?" and completely fail to account that firstly not everyone has the same objectives, and secondly that you hit a wall in terms of technical expertise after a point once you've learned all the necessary stuff, and from there you either spend years polishing your technical expertise with marginal gains or you start experimenting with alternative styles that inevitably not everybody is going to like.
>>
>>2290003
baka kek
>>
>>2290003

Never ask /ic/ to rate your progress unless you're doing really, really traditional styled shit.
>>
>>2289453
That is fucking nice desu senpai
>>
>>2289434
kek
>>
File: 1438030278558.jpg (155 KB, 753x706) Image search: [Google]
1438030278558.jpg
155 KB, 753x706
desu
>>
>>2289692
desu senpai baka ?
>>
>>2289598
baka desu senpai
>>
File: whut.png (322 KB, 334x506) Image search: [Google]
whut.png
322 KB, 334x506
>>2290260
>he cant do anything else
>>
>>2290518
and thats his old work, so even if Sycra didn't get better since then (which he has) then he still is better than 98% of /ic/
>>
>>2290526
May as well make that 100%, anyone who paints better than that doesn't post here anymore.
>>2290518
Also proof positive that half these fuckers didn't look at his work at all, like I said.
>>
baka baka desu sempai
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 848x480
>>2290518
>copying photographs is artistic

It's literally the easiest skill you can learn
>>
>>2290577

Lets see something from photo reference you've done then :^)
>>
>>2289598
desu senpai kek baka
>>
>>2290589

kek stay garbage anon
>>
>>2290596

>damage control
>>
>>2290589
Why does it say martin schoeller? isn't that George Clooney?
>>
>>2290599
>/ic/ equivalent of iknowyouarebutwhatami

kek, you said it was the easiest skill to learn, but you can't even do it? how sad
>>
>>2290604

sure buddy
>>
>>2290003
>waifushit

there's no progress, it's just a plateau of degenerative trash
>>
>>2290608
Nobody wants to see your trash. You have never produced anything of value in this world, and you never will.
>>
>>2289598
Smh desu senpai kek
>>
File: seaMdemon01.png (830 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
seaMdemon01.png
830 KB, 792x792
>>2289892
Effort doesn't make it right. Quality makes it right. You can march into the Amazon and spend 10 years making a monument of birdshit . Dosent make your birdshit tower worth anything.
>>
>>2290635
wait a moment

>Smh Tbh Senpai Kek
>>
>>2290003
If you remove the first and last image, they are all pretty much the same.

The last image looks like it should go right after the first.
>>
>>2290656
hmm, s.m.h and t.b.h don't get changed when written with a capital letter, but f.a.m does

>>2290654
that's such a good "fight me" reaction pic
>>
>>2290654
Yeah look at all this birdshit here>>2290518.
You absolute fucking jackasses don't even know what the hell you're talking about. At all. None of you have looked past page 1 of what he does and you think you're saying something with this thread. Someone said he can't capture a likeness even though he has videos specifically on doing caricatures. You're like ants sitting on his sleeve, looking at a hair on his arm and calling him tiny in your ignorance. No matter how good he is or isn't, none of you will ever be any better because all you ever do is rest on your laurels and throw tomatoes from the stands. If you can't even put for the effort to understand what you're bashing, no way in hell you'll ever put forth the effort needed to surpass it. This place is such a joke.
>>
>>2290670
the fuck. marry him if you love him so much.
I swear /ic/ is inbred as fuck. obsessing over little niche youtube people that no one besides 1% of the internet gives two fucks about.
>>
>>2290304
Agree with the whole post, however I think the issue here is that people feel he didn't get that better compared to the success/exposure/circlejerking he has.
I see plenty of people on his skill level, or even better, on DA/tumblr having 0 comments and 500 pageviews.

Meanwhile, this guy gets worshipped on weekly threads in here.

That's why I will say he's not remarkable. Not remarkable for the popularity he has. Not that he's objectively bad or anything.

I think the main reason for this is that his tutorials attract beginners who naturally believe his works are amazing because they have limited exposure to a pool of artists. A similar deal with Mark Crilley and his manga works. Great tutorials, great skills, yet his mangas somehow suck but there's plenty of people claiming he's the best manga artist ever.

It's more a thing about what type of audience you cultivate, rather than personal skill. I think the fact that appealing to beginners with less standards is upsetting those who criticize people like sycra.

To me, his progress is still completely unremarkable. You'll be hard pressed to name a single young person who has his exposure and improved less than him in 9 years.
>>
>>2290680
You don't get it, none of you do, that's why you do this instead of producing anything worthwhile. It's not about Sycra, it's not about Kron-Saki-Kwon-Ruan-Noah-Crilley, it never is. I've had this argument in threads against all of them and then some. It's never about them, it's about you and how you've turned this place into an echo chamber of ignorance. It's always the same stupid deflection, "get off his dick", anything to avoid facing the fact that you all gather around to talk shit about people you haven't even researched, safe in your circlejerk of hate from facing your own shortcomings. This place is no better than DA or tumblr, you just use different means of avoiding coming to terms with the fact that you suck and are jealous of anyone who actually gets out and does anything. It's all stagnation by refusal of information. I don't really care though, you all can stay in the cave telling each other stories with shadow puppets, I'm off to the real world.
>>
>>2290694
I agree with you. but
the ferment of this website is miserable NEETs so you should learn to ignore the retarded posts.
>>
>>2290694
I'm not that guy, but frankly you are just as bad as the people you're calling out. The "I'm so englightened, everyone here is a worthless troglodyte, I live in the real world and they're just a bunch of sad NEETs who don't understand reality" is just as bad if not worse than the exact thing you're criticizing. Not only are you being a dismissive little child, but you're doing it in such an insufferably self righteous manner that I'd quite honestly sooner listen to the "circle jerkers". If you were really so fucking divine as you claim you wouldn't feel the need to even respond to a single one of these comments and you'd be practicing right now. It's sickeningly ironic that you're ripping in people for being "jealous of anyone who actually gets out and does anything" when you are also just fucking shitposting. Your entire argument seems like the enormous projection of someone who themself has stagnated.
>>
>>2290694
Did you take a mortgage to support sycra? Jesus dude, please calm down
>>
>>2290694
>"you all can stay in the cave telling each other stories with shadow puppets, I'm off to the real world."
>has long back-and-forth shitflinging with every single person in the thread
>>
>>2290702
>in which i totally miss the point.

Nigga, even people in ivory towers occasionally come down to try and tell you to clean the shit off yourself. But this is 4Chan. Everyone gets beshitted. It's that guy's fault for not realizing that and just leaving without the post, but he tried at least.
>>
>>2290702
Say whatever you want about me, because it's not about me either. I chose to phrase it one way this time, I've said it many other ways ranging from polite suggestion to mimicking the same sort of memed ad hominem you see all over this site. You know I'm right. These threads are only a way for people to try and feel better about how little they've accomplished. Whether any of you face it now or later, if any of you ever expect to do anything with your work, you will have to let go of the attitude that spawns these or you will never go anywhere. That is the plain and simple truth, and will be the truth no matter who you hear it from, how it's said, even if nobody had ever said it, and it's not gonna change. Truth doesn't always come in a pretty package but it's always useful.
>>
>>2290713
not really they usually just hire someone else to do it. if you're using this website and enter a thread and engage with people in the thread you're automatically on the same level.
>you absolute fucking jackasses blah blah blah circlejerk
is no better than
>this artist is shit blah blah
it's all a waste of time. just ignore the thread.
>>
>>2290694
>>2290696

I don't agree or disagree. I think Sycra is fine, but not spectacular. He is however an exceptional instructor. I think he would make an amazing teacher were it not for his social anxieties.

With that being said, know which threads to avoid if you don't want to get coaxed into a monkey shit-fight; that's probably rule number 1 of 4chan in general.
>>
File: 46_1430401_38200555359PM.jpg (11 KB, 202x300) Image search: [Google]
46_1430401_38200555359PM.jpg
11 KB, 202x300
>>2290715
>You know I'm right.
yeah nah that's not how 4chan works
>>
>>2290716
>>2290717
The thing is, art is the only thing I'm passionate about. When I see this kind of tearing down of an artist who has a lot to offer, it burns me up not just on behalf of the artist being bashed, but because it's something akin to - and I'm sure someone won't like this analogy - seeing some native indigenous people being decimated by a disease they don't understand and refusing help from a more advanced people because they don't understand that either. It's a mixture of frustration and sadness. Most of the time I let it slide, I'd go insane if I got into this every time I come here. Today I just felt like trying again. I am going to go back to drawing now though.
>>
>>2290726

He's sharpening his chins in eager anticipation.
>>
>>2290723
as soon as you take the bait you're immediately on the same level. maybe you should spend less time on /ic/ and more time reading art books. maybe we all should.
>>
>>2290746
>>2290723

The only place you will ever have a remote chance at decent conversation in is /tg/.
>>
>>2290723
People come to /ic/ because it's basically the only place on the internet to still get harsh critique, maybe there'll be some trolling morons but if you can't brush that off you'd never make it anyway.
>>
>>2290727
Do you think he uses a chin-shaped pencil tip?
>>
File: 1446453601000.gif (2 MB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1446453601000.gif
2 MB, 160x120
>>2289429
>this thread
>>
>>2290762
>the only place on the internet to still get harsh critique
a harsh critique is only worth reading if the poster is accountable to his words
Consider most people here are anonymous and jump the ship when they were told to post their work
I would say this place is no more than a joke for critique

I come here only for inspiration and free reference
>>
>>2290727
>>2290766
im dying

>>2291086
unfortunately most of /ic/ is dumb and takes things too literally.

this is a critique:
>The sky looks pretty flat to me.

this is a "harsh /ic/" critique:
> The fucking sky looks pretty fucking flat to me, faggot.
>>
>>2290801
please kill yourself
>>
>>2289429
doesn't look like progress desu senpai
>>
>>2291210
Sycra please
>>
OP here, I didn't actually make this thread to bash Sycra contrary to what a lot of people seem to think
>>
>>2290751
sssh now, we don't want that bastion to be invaded too, do we?
>>
>>2289598
desu
>>
>>2290681

Basically yeah, his tutorials net him mad traffic because most people starting out google/youtube "how to draw x" and his tutorials usually figure high in the results.
He markets himself well, and as far as I'm concerned, good for him. Better still that he markets himself in a way that's beneficial for others via teaching how to draw rather than just aggressively slapping his name and art anywhere he can.
>>
>>2289598
desu senpai you are a kek
>>
Whats the name of this style of drawing ? right one ?
>>
>>2293269
Pointy Chins. Not joking. He has a whole video series explaining how he developed the style, it's literally named Pointy Chins.
>>
File: CUBPxkLVAAQgevo.png (720 KB, 1023x644) Image search: [Google]
CUBPxkLVAAQgevo.png
720 KB, 1023x644
>>
File: CUBMUfUUEAAkrgS.png (1 MB, 1023x729) Image search: [Google]
CUBMUfUUEAAkrgS.png
1 MB, 1023x729
>>
>>2293277
>>2293278
???
>>
>>2293285
??
>>
>>2293287
is there a reason behind posting those here????
>>
>>2293297
Yes. Why not?
>>
>>2293300
which is...????
>>
>>2289598
desu you guys are keks
>>
>>2289451
desu
>>
>>2289598
Tbh baka senpai
>>
>>2293302
I think he wanted you to look at the improvement, since this is a "progress" thread (even though it's for sycra). You dont have to pretend to be retarded, anon.
>>
>>2294849
yes, but he is comparing some dudes (or just one?) from when they are at beginning and at a few years in
everybody got a boost in their progress in that time period if they work on it

dismissed return, heard of it?

do not expect an artist to do a huge leap every few years their whole carrier
>>
I like Sycra's videos to be perfectly honest. He's relaxing to listen to.

And kind and decent people are surprisingly uncommon in this business so that's nice as well.
>>
>>2294981
>carrier

u srs?
>>
>>2295100
Ditto, I enjoy his streams with bobmeatbag in particula.
You get something relaxing to listen to while drawing, good advice if you listen and bob being creative as fuck when you look up.
>>
>>2294981
your joking right?
>>
>>2295197
>>2295506
sorry anons, english is not my first language
>>
>>2289429
I get that he really likes drawing the human figure, but damn, I really wish he'd explore other subject matters for once. every week it's been a new "How to draw x body part". I'd like to see a video where he explores Environments, or vehicle design for once. I know he's dabbled with other subject matter a few times in the past, but his channel is heavily focused on drawing the "stylized" human figure.
>>
>mfw sycra still posts here baka
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.