[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Character Design Thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12
I haven't really seen these around. It can really help some people. Anyways, just post a picture and maybe some kind anon will kindly critique it.

Feel free to ignore if this topic's niche has already been taken/
>>
>>2289310
how does one even pull a sword out when it hangs like that?
>>
>>2289310
DC meets anime.
>>
>>2289325
You don't. It's mostly for travelling that you'd have it on your back.
>>
>>2289310
There not bad per say, but the designs are so overtly generic and forgettable that they don't really seem like characters, more like archetypes. Legend of the Seeker tier, but again not awful.
>>
>>2289310
>should i look into how people carried weapons?
>nah, fuck that
>commence generic mistake shit
>>
>>2290880
>should I think before posting and realize that a sword carried on the back is a rule of cool design choice that's been around for decades in fantasy and is what the audience is very familiar with?
>nah, fuck that
>commence generic autistic shitpost
>>
>>2290880
M8 there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
File: Wacom-Bamboo-Touch-Driver_1.jpg (22 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
Wacom-Bamboo-Touch-Driver_1.jpg
22 KB, 700x394
Hey guys, I have a question here. I have a Wacom Bamboo (same model as in pic) but I haven't really gotten serious into art till recently, and I've been using it practically every day. I found making lines really hard until I went traditional with pencil and paper for 3 months and it felt pretty good knowing I have a steady hand. I found that it was actually the tablet; it was too slippery and didn't have the tooth of paper, so then I taped paper on it and it felt great. After about 2 weeks or so, it felt slippery again, so I replaced it.

Question is, do I really need to replace the paper when I tape it to the tablet, and is the tablet naturally slippery or are marks just ruining the surface? My tablet has a some marks and scratches on it.
>>
>>2290920
Ignore please, this was posted in the wrong thread...
>>
>>2290913
>>2290916
Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean it isn't shit.
>>
>>2290936
>not realistic means it's shit
It doesn't have to be realistic, especially not in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>2290959
back to adventure time fanart with you.
shoo shoo
>>
>>2290965
Nigga, I'm from /tg/. They have that discussion every other day because someone posts a picture of boob plate or something like that.

If you force realism in every setting it becomes boring. Not every fantasy setting has to be realistic, medieval Europe.
>>
>>2290936
You will never make it as a designer nor artist if you are too stupid to understand WHY lots of people use certain things and why certain things became a cliché.

hint: It's not because every last one of them was too lazy to look up information on the internet and you are the only one with historically accurate knowledge.
>>
>>2290974
>If you force realism in every setting it becomes boring. Not every fantasy setting has to be realistic, medieval Europe.
It's matter of practicality and believability.
Also resting something like zweihander on one's shoulder is both practical AND cool.
>>
>>2290984
I don't need historically accurate knowledge to know there's no way in hell OP could draw that sword. The guy in your image could though.
>>
File: 1447716554855.gif (64 KB, 226x176) Image search: [Google]
1447716554855.gif
64 KB, 226x176
OP here. Literally what happened to this thread.

The only post I've made is the first one. Stop accusing me of posting something I haven't.

I also didn't draw the original post's pic related. It's literally the first picture I found on Google.
>>
>>2291247
I don't think anyone accused you of posting anything...?
Why did you leave for so long anyway, why did you even start the thread if you weren't going to at least post more interesting character designs you found?
>>
File: w7MWufS.jpg (355 KB, 1268x685) Image search: [Google]
w7MWufS.jpg
355 KB, 1268x685
>>
>>2291325
they're sweet designs but really don't fit the book imo
>>
>>2291347
1:1 adaptations are always shit anyways.
>>
>>2289310
For some reason, the man looks feminine and the woman looks masculine. I can't put my finger on what exactly nakes me think that, however.
>>
>>2289310
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon has one of the most creative designed cast of characters I have seen on any media.
That guy with the hat instead of a face always steals the scene just because of his presence.
Which makes it a damn shame that the anime itself is fucking trash

See it if you can tolerate a shitty anime only because of the designs
>>
File: 1444530965627.jpg (10 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1444530965627.jpg
10 KB, 240x240
>>2291373
lol wtf with those balloons
>>
File: KMmN7.jpg (444 KB, 2550x1443) Image search: [Google]
KMmN7.jpg
444 KB, 2550x1443
>>2292076
Boobs

more Horizon characters
>>
>>2291373
>creative designed cast of characters
>every girl character has the same face, but with just different hair colors
>>
File: Naomasa.full.1198426.jpg (112 KB, 378x661) Image search: [Google]
Naomasa.full.1198426.jpg
112 KB, 378x661
>>2292082
>>2292082
Yep. The girls are the least memorable, but you can actually tell the difference from each one, which is a compliment considering the standards of anime
>>
>>2292094
fucking weebshit. Seriously.
>>
>>2291373
Check out Tower of God. Massive trainwreck but goddamn he milked his world building for all it's worth
>>
>>2292101
I do understand from where the hate for weebs started, see >>>2289511, but from where the hate for anime art?
>>
>>2289310
Like the other anon said they do look like they come straight out of tv movie fantasy like legend of the seeker. If thats what youre going for then it seems pretty good.

But if youre doing comics or video game designs the costumes should be a lot flashier and more stylish. Look at assassins creed or bloodbourne.
>>
>>2292217
Why do so many people post without reading? OP already said they're just some shit he grabbed from Google.
>>
>>2291373
Awful.
>>
>>2289310
Does anyone know of any good tutorial?
I havent found any as good as jason chan's or marko's.
Most of the time they are about very stylized charscters..
>>
>>2291373
you're joking right? But that show did have budget out the ass for the character details.
>>
File: berserk-2460207.jpg (287 KB, 1200x856) Image search: [Google]
berserk-2460207.jpg
287 KB, 1200x856
>>2289325
The same way this guy does it
>>
>>2292915
Guts doesn't tie his sword to the middle of his back
>>
>>2292915
Gut's sword s only held at the middle and the bottom, the sheath is designed to facilitate removing it from his back, unlike a solid sheath.
>>
>>2289310
FYI anon, if he ever needed to draw his sword in an emergency he would only need to unclip his left bracer allowing his right shoulder to act as a fulcrum for his sheath making it possible to draw the sword down rather than up. It would require almost no prep time at all.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.