[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here work at one of these places? I've been working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: pandsopening.jpg (162 KB, 960x636) Image search: [Google]
pandsopening.jpg
162 KB, 960x636
Anyone here work at one of these places?

I've been working at one for a few months and I actually really enjoy it.

Just curious to hear about other Anon's experiences. I'll also answer any questions if you've got 'em.
>>
>>2289158

Oh and in case you do not know what these are, they're usually called "paint and sips".

Basically, people who can't paint for crap pay to have an instructor lead them in painting a really simple painting while they get drunk.

It's kind of like paying to drink and paint with Bob Ross. Really popular with women in the 25-50 age group.
>>
>>
>>2289173

I think you have the wrong thread, friendo.
>>
>>2289158
Those things are a fucking scam. I knew a girl who did one, the company (Paint Nite) had her buy all her own supplies, do all her own advertising, and secure the venues herself. She was literally paying this company just to use their fucking name.
>>
>>2289174

Nah I actually have the right thread you little bitch
>>
>>2289178
>had her buy all her own supplies, do all her own advertising, and secure the venues herself.

Wow, seriously? That's crazy.

The one I work at is *nothing* like that. I've never even heard of a place like what you're describing, nor would I work at one. You're right to call that a scam, that's totally nuts.

The place I work at is like a normal job, you show up, do your class, clean up, and go home. You use their supplies, they do all the advertising, etc...

This is the company I work for, it's a franchise-based establishment so they have locations all over the place: https://www.paintingwithatwist.com/
>>
File: highres_295747762.jpg (850 KB, 5750x2172) Image search: [Google]
highres_295747762.jpg
850 KB, 5750x2172
The sad part is that they are actually having fun and are happy.
>>
>>2289196
>The sad part is that they are actually having fun and are happy.

Yeah frankly I have no idea what it is about this concept that is so fascinating for people.

But I guess I feel that way because I've spent my whole life learning how to make art and paint real things and they haven't.
>>
File: 1392761168940.png (230 KB, 360x327) Image search: [Google]
1392761168940.png
230 KB, 360x327
>>2289196
so which one of them is going to make it?
>>
File: ~that_feel~.jpg (70 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
~that_feel~.jpg
70 KB, 1366x768
>>2289158
>women in the 25-50 age group who can't draw shit get artsy and drunk
my god this sounds like the perfect hunting ground

sadly I'm a Eurofag
>>
>>2289219
it exists in europe too, even in the shittier europe, only the people that attend it have little bit higher standards, but not too much...
>>
>>2289219
>my god this sounds like the perfect hunting ground

That's half the reason I took the job.

My group the other night, for example, was a bunch of married 30-somethings who flirted with me all evening and gave me a $20 tip.

>sadly I'm a Eurofag

I'm sure they must have something similar over there.
>>
>>2289227
you do realise you are selling your artistic soul pretty much the same way as if you were drawing diaperfur comissions?
>>
File: 1444276642823.gif (891 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1444276642823.gif
891 KB, 500x275
>>2289239
>selling your artistic soul

Here's your (You)
>>
>>2289241
*selling out
>>
I wanted to do this but I have zero personality especially towards strangers. They'll hire some bubbly girl instead.
>>
>>2289186
I see want ads for instructors at these places often. Some of them really do look predatory towards artists. Do they pay you as a contractor, or an employee? I think a lot of them also require you to sign a non-competition contract.

Anyway, I've taught art classes for many years. I've learned you've gotta be really careful about who you work for. Just look out for yourselves, guys. Don't get screwed over. First sign of anything scammy, or failure to pay exactly what was agreed upon, just walk. Don't get deeper in the hole. People like us can't afford to drag assholes to court.

Protip: hand out cards to the students so they can find you or get an email list going for future self-marketing should you need to walk. This protects your assets, and gives you a large amount of clout at the next place. We are the talent. Don't be exploited.
>>
>>2289239
This really isn't soul-crushing. Nobody involved is deluding themselves into thinking this is a serious art class. Every once in a while you'll get a student who does get inspired to study art seriously though. It's just a fun edutainment activity for people who took the safe path in life. It's fun as an instructor, too. Lighten up, man.
>>
>>2289257
>Some of them really do look predatory towards artists.

That's possible, but the franchise I'm with is pretty based. My boss is really nice, too.

>Do they pay you as a contractor, or an employee? I think a lot of them also require you to sign a non-competition contract.

I'm paid as a contractor.

My non-compete agreement stipulates that I can't work for a competing company (but another location in the same franchise, of which there are hundreds, is fine) up to six months after I leave them.

Neither of these things really bother me. This is exactly what I expected going in to it.

>>2289253
>I wanted to do this but I have zero personality especially towards strangers. They'll hire some bubbly girl instead.

Well you do have to have a certain level of self-confidence and a sort of "painting persona" that you put on when you go into work, similar to any customer-oriented job.

I was sweating bullets during my interview to be honest, because they put me up on the stage and made me pretend to lead a class. This was about twenty minutes after I walked into their front door for the first time.

But it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be and it gets easier all the time.
>>
>>2289267
>This really isn't soul-crushing. Nobody involved is deluding themselves into thinking this is a serious art class. Every once in a while you'll get a student who does get inspired to study art seriously though. It's just a fun edutainment activity for people who took the safe path in life. It's fun as an instructor, too. Lighten up, man.

Basically this.

I mean, I basically get paid $20 an hour to make drunk women feel good about themselves. It's not the worst job I've ever had.
>>
Late night blatantly self-serving bump.
>>
>>2289196
How come they are all so talented??
>>
>>2289267
NO FUN ALLOWED
>>
>>2289158
>all those delicious MILFs
that's it, I'm moving to US
>>
>>2289273
>the franchise I'm with is pretty based
>painting with a twist

Do you do designs for them? And how much they pay you for this?

I worked for about 6 months for a different start-up non-franchised version of this concept. It paid $75 a class which was all right. But, they wanted me to design their pictures, at $20 ea!! For something that they would have 100% rights to. And when I refused, they asked me to make copies of stolen artwork.

Eventually I quit to do more shifts waiting tables, better money.

At one point I applied to painting with a twist, didn't get the job, but in the interview they told me I'd be expected to work-for-hire designing their painting subjects.
>>
>>2289830
>Do you do designs for them? And how much they pay you for this?

I could, but I haven't yet, so I don't know a lot about it. It isn't compulsory where I work, it's something you can choose to do in your off-time if you want.

Apparently the way it works is that you design a painting, send it in to corporate, and if they approve it you get paid a set fee.

Based on the paintings I've seen, they'll accept pretty much anything though. And they do keep the rights of course, but who cares? The paintings these places use are so formulaic and simple that it amazes me there's a market for them at all.

And if you think you can make more money selling them elsewhere...then sell them elsewhere, you don't have to give them your paintings.

>in the interview they told me I'd be expected to work-for-hire designing their painting subjects.

Weird, that's not how it works at mine. We have a database of around 5,000 paintings that comes from corporate HQ that we pick from to fill up the calendar with.
>>
>>2290111
>that's not how it works at mine. We have a database of around 5,000 paintings...
This was in 2011, so maybe it's changed?

>And they do keep the rights of course, but who cares?
Rights are worth a lot of money. $20 is laughably nothing, and I'm kind of curious what the corporate pays, it's presumably better, but I bet it's not much.
Full copyright transfer means they own it and can profit off it forever and ever, in changing media and derivative works.. A good example is if you made some formulaic painting composition, and Coca Cola bought the rights to the image to use it in an add campaign for a million bucks, and all you have is your $20 (or 200 or whatever).
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.