[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best of the following for general use? Fountain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: pen.jpg (21 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
pen.jpg
21 KB, 640x427
What are the best of the following for general use?

Fountain pen

Mechanical pencil

Notebook/journal
>>
Get 2 notebooks and then shove them up your ass.
>>
>>2288898
Lamy safari is good fountain pen if you are on budget or want a pen you can carry around everywhere and not worrying it gets stolen or something. If you want to spend around $100 you have a lot more of options. I don't have much experience but I believe Pilot pens should be pretty good. Even Glenn Vilppu has one. I have Parker Sonnet with gold plated nib - if you are looking for Parkers get one with 18k gold nib, it writes smoother. If you have +$500 it's going to be Montblanc, but that pen will last your whole life time. It might sound expensive but it's not really more expensive than a brand new smartphone so I don't think it's bad investment.

You'll also have to chooce your ink carefully - I clogged my lamy safari bad using wrong ink (dip pen ink). I was able to rescue it tho. Also when I bought my Parker Sonnet ($100 pen) brand new it was skipping some letters, like every tenth or so. I disassembled the pen, carefully rinsed the nib and feed. It started working perfectly after that. So sometimes you have to tinker with those a little bit.

I have no idea of good mechanical pencils but I have used Daler & Rowney hardcover sketchbook as journal / commonplace book.
>>
>>2288911
I was looking at that Lamy pen, and since this is my first fountain pen, I think I'll go with that.

>You'll also have to chooce your ink carefully - I clogged my lamy safari bad using wrong ink (dip pen ink)
I'll keep this in mind, thanks.
>>
>>2288920
It's a good choice. Not really beautiful one, but practical. Get some proper fountain pen ink from montblanc or parker, and buy a Lamy converter (so your pen comes refillable).
>>
>>2288926
I actually prefer it's more utilitarian design. And the matte black finish is nice.
>>
>>2288920
lamy has QC issues, the nib you get could be amazing or not even the size you would expect.

Pilot Metropolitan is a good workhorse and they're consistent. No broad nibs though.
>>
>>2288911

>gold plated nib

I don't use fountain pens but maybe there's something I'm missing, but this sounds needlessly extravagant.
It sounds like people who get fucking gold plated HDMI cables. Somebody says it's more functional as a reason to charge out the ass for it.
That said, as I mentioned I know very little about fountain pens. Is there a proven benefit to getting a gold plated nib?
>>
>>2289365
Gold is more flexible, so those pens can produce a greater line variation. Also, gold is more resistant to corrosion, and some inks can get pretty acidic.
>>
>>2289365
>It sounds like people who get fucking gold plated HDMI cables
I for one, notice the gold plated shit on my mouse and gpu after took them out of book, wasn't even mentioned on the site I bought them from desu
>>
>>2288898
>Fountain pen
Anything decently priced should be alright. I have a Cross Aventura my brother got me years ago, works great. The cheap Sheafer fountain pens you see it art stores aren't worth buying, they clog pretty easy.
>Mechanical pencil
Pental Quicker Clicker/Graph Gear 500.
>Notebook/journal
I always go with Strathmore 400 series sketch pads.
>>2288911
>>2288920
On the subject of ink, I have a bottle of Noodler's Bulletproof Black and it's pretty good. Despite the name, it's not completely waterproof so there's that.
>>
>>2288898
rotring art pen is really good. i used them for like 6/7 years and used 4 of them.
>>
What size nib do you guys use for drawing?
>>
>>2288911
Lamy Safari are bad. I own 2 and while they're excellent as an everyday pen, I'd rather take any BIC ballpoint or a gel pen for drawing, any day.

Fountain pens are bad for drawing in general unless you spend a ton of money on a flexible nib and you get a Japanese pen (the have finer nibs). That said there are special Japanese pens that mount disposable G-nibs, get one of those.

I love my Rotring 600 but pretty sure any mechanical pencil above 10$ is great.

The best notebook you can get is the one you make yourself. Get a small binder, good paper in bulk cut to size, and a paper punch. I use an old organizer and good 90gsm paper that takes ink well.
>>
>>2292160
>That said there are special Japanese pens that mount disposable G-nibs, get one of those.
Got a name or something? The only pen I know of that does that is the Ackerman Pump Pen, and that's not really of the sort you can carry around.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.