[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we have a travel/ dollar store cheap/ quick n easy/ everyday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 12
File: 1115151332.jpg (63 KB, 299x532) Image search: [Google]
1115151332.jpg
63 KB, 299x532
can we have a travel/ dollar store cheap/ quick n easy/ everyday necessities discussion in here?

this is mine (more or less) minus a biro
>>
I use 2 Parker propelling pencils (one with hb, one with 2b), an eraser, sharpie, a Pilot V5 pen and a Pilot drawing pen along with a small drawing pad.
>>
Three pencils, a rubber and a ruler.

And whatever paper I can get my hands on.
>>
These and a binder of printing paper are pretty much my go-to for the "not giving a fuck" drawings and the stuff I tend to have with me all the time.

For other standard stuff that I have a staedler 2mm lead holder and a pentel pocket brush pen. I want to invest in some copics but they cost a fucking arm and a leg.
>>
File: 4_Bic_Cristal_pens_and_caps.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
4_Bic_Cristal_pens_and_caps.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2736
>>2285673

forgot the pic.
these.
>>
>Fabriano
My nigga, though it's really hard for me to get my hands on the small blank ones with the spiraled back.

I usually don't take all of these pencils/markers, I just pick one and take it with me.
>>
>>2285704
op here. they just started selling them in my local store, this is my first one, so ill be back buying more. where do you think i could buy cheap copics?
>>
>>2285786
like, i know theyre not cheap. but maybe the lowest youve found them?
>>
File: 25748.jpg (14 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
25748.jpg
14 KB, 400x299
Get a zipper binder. I bought mine for $1.50 from Daiso. No more missing pens, accidentally setting your sketchbook down on a wet spot, etc.

My personal travel set includes two black inking pens (.05 and .5), one grey brush tip marker (currently a Prismacolor), one randomly colored brush tip marker, a 6H pencil, a normal mechanical pencil, an eraser, and a white gel pen. It sounds like a lot, but that's where the zipper binder comes in. Everything fits perfectly.
>>
>>2285866
nice, i may purchase one if its small enough for my taste. also i like the see through look
>>
>>2285786
>>2285794
Anywhere with good coupons.
Where I am, theres an art supply store named Michaels. They usually give out 40-50% off coupons each week or two...and during that time I stock up on as much as possible. They also have 20% off the entire purchase.

Bought a set of prismacolors for 50% making it like 60bucks instead of 120bucks.
>>
>>2285866
post your work
>>
if you're in the UK get some of these. you get a pack of 3, just under A4 and 60 sheets each. can use both sides if you don't use thick pen/marker. i use a hi-tec-c a pencil + some prismacolours.

i use them as study books so go through one a month.

pretty sure the price is an error too, i've been buying them for £6 these past few months and they've gone down again, i love them!
>>
>>2286168
i'm retarded these are the ones i mean
>>
>>2286176
molekines are nice, but its the classic "it was expensive so i dont want to fuck it up" kinda vibe in my opinion. i can buy a 125 pg harcover 11x12 for 5 dollars tho
>>
>>2286228

A pack of 3 for that price doesn't seem that costly to me to be honest.
>>
>>2286228
These are pretty cheap tho. I once bought one of these packs for 2 bucks at a flea market and they're pretty good.
>>
File: file.jpg pic.jpg (158 KB, 899x1045) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg pic.jpg
158 KB, 899x1045
>>2286346
desu it could be my local store has them marked up. i havent been able to find any like that>>2286176
maybe thats what im looking for. also they dont exactly have a wide variety at my store.
>>
>>2285654
What kind of line variance do you get with that pen? What is it? I'm looking for a portable alternternative to a hunt 101 imperial dip-pen.

I just do pilot v5 or uniball onyx with a toned pad these days.
>>
>>2287021
v5s are good. UNIBALL! i use every one in the vision series (theyre the most common at walmart or whatever.. idk if you can tell in the pic but its a pilot varsity, got it for like 5 dollars. honestly its just a standard medium disposable fountain, nothing special. id say the line variance is 0. press harder for thicker, lighter for thinner, cheap in every form of the word. but sometimes thats a good thing
>>
>>2287054
haha honestly I just like the Onyx series because they're super cheap (almost half the price of v5s), the ink dries quickly, and I can get good lines with them. Also, they're simple and look classy as fuck. Remind me of the pens my dad always brought home from work at his mad-men-eque job in a skyscraper downtown.

Unfortunately they don't last that long, so I think I'm gonna switch to v5 as my go-to. It looks a little less classy, but it'll do I guess.

I hate how pens these days have to look like they're designed by someone at nascar. Ideal is onyx with a metal clip instead of plastic, and a thin, straight, clear plastic window down each side so you can check the remaining ink.
>>
File: 1446299464311.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1446299464311.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>coupon for 50% off at michaels

What do I get guys
>>
>>2287097
yeah i went and checked them out. looks like itd be a fiber tip though dk. but i have like 5 of these, classiest motherfuckers ever. i had a v5 and i personally smeared ink alot (might chalk that up to being left handed, but i digress.) it just felt like it didnt dry fast enough. i could talk pen shop for days desu. but the look you described id recommend basically any online order-able fountain. also, staedtler pigment liners are nice n simple. poor mans micron, if you will.
>>
>>2287148
>michaels

Or, just go to an actual art supply store, and pay the same amount any time you want. Michaels is often double the price to begin with.
>>
anyone have made their own ink before?
>>
File: 1446561602042.gif (580 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1446561602042.gif
580 KB, 480x360
>>2287178
tru..oh so true
>>
>>2285681
Black BIC Cristal pens are my fucking life-line and I have daymares of them discontinuing it. (Or them irreparably changing the formula somehow.)
>>
4B pencil, mechanical pencil with 2b lead, eraser, 0,5 felt tip pen, A5 sketchbook.

Bring it with me everywhere.
>>
twsbi fountain pen w/ brown ink

Pentel pocket with the barrel filled w/ brown ink instead of cartridges

Usually a waterbrush filled with the same brown ink diluted for midtone
>>
using graphite/dry media for daily sketching is for plebs, that shit smears all over the place so you end up having to spray fix your book all the time and theres no need to erase mistakes in sketches
>>
>dollar store cheap
>quick n ez
>posts hq sketchbooks and copics

Man just get a cheap ass college block and one of those bic pens.
>>
Basquiat did it with just some sharpies and composition notebook. Shrug.
>>
You'd think brown butcher paper would be cheap as fuck but sketchbook companies think they can make sketchbooks out of it and charge a premium
>>
>>2285941
Yes. Also hobby lobby and Jo-ann fabrics have good coupons.

Jo-ann sometimes has 60% off. But hobby lobby has the best selection of art supplies, but they usually only give 40% coupons.

All 3 of these stores have android (and probably ios) apps that download their current coupons.
>>
>>2285654
dont die on me
>>
File: 1011753078.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1011753078.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
I use these when I can't get to an art supplies store but need a pen for lining. They're the best inking pens I've been able to find at nonspecialty stores.
>>
>>2288523
Those cost 8 euro per pack of 50 pens where I live.
I'm pretty sure you are not at risk if you invest a tiny bit into them.
>>
File: clipboard.jpg (21 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
clipboard.jpg
21 KB, 350x350
for a little over 5 USD
>cheap ballpoints
>copy paper
>clipboard w/ cover
>>
>>2285704
what shades of copic are those?
>>
>>2291394
Looks like 100, N2, and N4.

Anyone go to Daiso? I heard they had caligraphy pens that are pretty good for line work?
>>
A notepad with paper that won't feather and a 0.3 felt tip or even just a ballpoint pen is all you need

I don't use pencils when I'm out because you don't really have the physical time for construction anyway. Using ink directly makes you more confident.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.