[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about style for a sec? >Do you have one? (include
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
Can we talk about style for a sec?
>Do you have one? (include pic please)
>Is it more beneficial to have a recognizable style (any kind of abstraction to the form, color or light that is not true to nature) or to have a generic realism/naturalistic/descriptive style? (like Renaissance art kind of style)
>How did you figure out your style?
>Does your style reflect your personality?
>How long did it take you to develop a style? Are you still developing it?
>>
File: InfluenceMap_small.jpg (1 MB, 2636x1988) Image search: [Google]
InfluenceMap_small.jpg
1 MB, 2636x1988
>>2284226
I'm still trying to develop one, myself. For the first time ever, I made an influence map a few days ago, of what I want to aim for. I've also been watching Sycra's videos on how he developed his style and I feel like it's helping a lot, and getting me to think about what I want from my art and ask questions I never thought of previously. Personally I think it's best to have a recognizable style, not just from a marketing standpoint but also to help you set up a precise workflow and know when you're _done_ with a piece, and just a way of expressing the image you wanted to convey that you can feel good about. Incidentally I really want to do a skate picture very similar to that one.
>>
File: tumblr_nnze2qo6n81qfsqmio1_500.jpg (156 KB, 452x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnze2qo6n81qfsqmio1_500.jpg
156 KB, 452x750
I'm having a hard time developing my own style because I see so many styles I love and none of them have a ton in common to guide me towards what I want to do.
>>
One Polish rapper said in a song that style is a matter of who you are, and I really like that quote. Mine is expressive, loud.
>>
>>2284233
I think having an influence map is a good idea, I might try that. Has it helped you at all?
Just watched the Sycra video and it was super helpful.
>>
>>2284262
Yeah, I noticed a crazy difference pretty much immediately. I've been super excited about it. I did some sketches to test it out and start trying to feel out what exactly I want it to be like >>2282345
>>2283069
I can tell it's probably going to take a while to really work it all out but I feel a lot better about my sketches than I did when I was drawing aimlessly.
>>
File: game_of_death_1600.jpg (182 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
game_of_death_1600.jpg
182 KB, 1600x1200
my style?
>>
>>2284268
Looks cool, I can definitely see the influence.
>How does your style reflect your personality?
This is honeslty the only thing I can answer cause I'm having such a hard time with it. I feel like I'm a very expressive/animated person and so my drawings tend to be very expressive. However they're so messy that I'm actually considering changing my personality, like maybe I don't have enough control in my life and its showing through in my drawings....
>>
>>2284285
Yeah that's a good point, I was thinking about that question too. In my case I've often had a tendency to go very clean with my drawings, yet everything on my map has a lot of grit to it, so I've been wondering whether I should fight my natural tendency or go with it. By messing with it, I found that I really do enjoy going for precision, but realized I can still apply that to creating a gritty look. Maybe if you mess around with how you want to finish your pieces, you'll get some insight on whether you want to go for more control or keep things loose. When it comes to how that translates to the rest of your daily life though, that's a pretty huge question, you're kinda on your own with that one lol.
>>
http://caslyon.deviantart.com/art/Trainer-Humpreet-and-Haunter-569145790

I never had a DISTINCT style until i started school, somewhere along the line it started developing. I don't think it's my personality, or how i want to draw. It's more that i wanted to get work done, and FAST (college >_>) So i went with the curve that my hand had been repetitively and naturally done.

I have a lot of random influences that i would prefer to draw like (but don't we all.)
http://caslyon.deviantart.com/art/Anu-Styles-567854526?q=gallery%3ACaslyon%2F17633322&qo=17
>>
>>2284226
not any intended

naturalistic approach till I learn the proper anatomy. You cant abstract without knowing all the parts and how they work. that being said, my need to create leads me to make sub-par work

I figured it out when I put pencil to paper. It's a curse, a style is a limitation on yourself. I will never be able to produce the full spectrum of art while locked in my own style, and unless I find a way to break out, it will be toxic

A little. in a sense its longing. I will never be able to devote the amount of time I want to art and that comes across in my work

Nobody takes any time to develop a style. its a handicap built into how you hold the pen and various other issues

I dont see how people think doing everything one certain way is positive to their growth, unless creating a fanbasse
>>
File: tiny.jpg (409 KB, 900x658) Image search: [Google]
tiny.jpg
409 KB, 900x658
>>2284343
You're thinking of style only as something cartoony, but photorealism is a style too. You might need to take shortcuts, but other people develop a style that fulfills all their needs because they're able to. A style can be a self imposed restriction like limiting your color palette while still doing full rendering. It's just whatever you feel not only helps you develop a consistent workflow and allows you to express what you need to express, it also is unique to you and that uniqueness comes through to others. Even if you set out to copy someone else's style, yours will still end up being different simply because you're a different person and you won't physically move or think the same way as the one you're copying, so either way your work will always have a signature about it, you don't necessarily need to try hard for that. I just think it's still helpful to find a way that's YOUR way for the sake of the process going fast enough for you to produce all you want.
>>
>>2284343
you are the tip of guy which repeats what he heard without knowing what he says. form without content

I hate your tip
>>
>>2284226
When I have to draw for work I draw in the realistic western comic book style (which feels grueling and tedious to do).
But when I have free time to draw I draw in a 90's manga style kinda like Togashi Yoshihiro's Yu yu hakisho or Hunter x hunter.
>>
>>2284356
I really like this, artist sauce?
>>
File: theo_by_purple_neon-d9ddz5d.png (17 KB, 322x500) Image search: [Google]
theo_by_purple_neon-d9ddz5d.png
17 KB, 322x500
I'm trying to develop a style, but I love old cartoons and colourful pictures, so I tend to go for a more bold style.
However I also love cute girls and wanna draw lewd, bit it just doesn't suit / I'm not good at it.
>>
>>2284391
Carla Ortiz.
>>
File: muhstyles.jpg (380 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
muhstyles.jpg
380 KB, 2550x3300
Still figuring it out. Wish I knew how to color properly.
>>
>>2286480
Color is a fucking bitch, I'm not sure I'll ever figure it out. I honestly don't even know how anyone gets it. I like your inking, btw.
>>
>>2286480

I'd probably worry about learning to draw properly first.
>>
>>2286480
ew
>>
>>2286582
Elaborate.
>>
>>2286582
he should worry about getting some taste
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.