[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a couple questions/need some advice. When it comes to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
I have a couple questions/need some advice.

When it comes to drawing realistic perspective, I've read that one point is not very realistic. What method do I use to get a realistic perspective?

I also have a difficult time trying to figure out where I am placing things. Say I wanted to draw a bedroom with people on the bed. I may be overthinking it but placing a horizon line/etc seems difficult on that front.

On that note, when it comes to people, is there a good resource to study individual limbs/piecing the body together as opposed to trying to learn it all at once. Also, when it comes to drawing the head, no matter what I do, it always turns out like total crap. I use a regular #2 pencil, and no amount of shading makes it look any good, the lips/nose/eyes are always horrible.

I have a TON of drawing resources (loomis/vilppu, perspective stuff, etc).

Outside of drawing, I recently decided to get into painting. I bought a kit that has a few brushes and about a dozen small tubes of acrylic paint (which is what I heard is best for beginners). Any tips to get me off on the right foot when practicing so I don't waste paint trying to figure out what I am doing?
>>
3 point perspective is close enough for most geometry
'4 point' is used if you want to emulate distortions

google "3 point perspective" and the first result should get you started
>>
>>2283820

In one point perspective all horizontal lines are perfectly perpendicular to the viewpoint. This rarely/never happens in real life. Two point works in most situations where you're not looking up or down.

Where you place the horizon affects the mood of the picture. This is one of the things you can't learn by reading but have to experience by problem solving on your own. Sketch out the bed first as a rectangular box shape at first in a series of thumbnails. Pick the one you like best. It's best not to think about perfect placement of vanishing points and ruler straight lines at first, just sketch it out lightly. This is where the Vilppu/Scott Robertsson stuff comes in handy. Find the horizon line AFTER you have made the rough sketch. As you'll get better you will be more conscious of horizon line placement.
>>
3 Point for more natural(or dramatic) viewing angles..since this is the perspective we view constantly.

4 Point is basically like a panorama. It is the curve-linear equivalent of 2 point. Except its tough to understand and hard to setup, so you'll never use it.

5 Point is the curve-linear equivalent of 1 point, think of it as a fish-eye lens.

People mix up 4 and 5 point. The only difference is that 4 point has perfect verticals...where verticals in 5 point curve

If you understand 3 point and basic 5 point knowledge..then you're good to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Take my word for it perspective is all bs and is what you make of it
>>
File: pep_1.jpg (19 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
pep_1.jpg
19 KB, 251x242
>>2284185

Looooooooooooooool
>>
>>2284185
woah...... Dude......
>>
using point perspective is for keks, look up kim jung gi
>>
>>2284126
No fuck that op, stick with 2 point for a while until you're comfortable. 3 point should only be used in specific circumstances.
>>
>>2283820
Watch Marhsall Vandruff's perspective video series, it's a great resource and he's always relating what he's saying back to art specifically. Only problems are the resolution is awful because it's from the 90's and Marshall talks pretty slow, so I'd recommened viewing on like 1.2x speed.
>>
>>2284420
Are you retarded? 2 point perspective almost never happens in reality, 3 point happens basically all the time, not in "specific circumstances". You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2285108
>worrying about the almost non-existent variations in the 3rd point just for >muh realism
Fuck off cluckfiend
>>
>>2285112
>non-existent variations

fuck I would absolutely love to see your work if you really think that lel
>>
>>2285108
>>2285112
It really depends on the scale of what you're drawing, and the angle you're looking at. If you're looking up at a skyscraper then no shit you would use 3-point perspective. If you're just looking at a fist sized cube on your desk then the third vanishing point would be so far off it'll be a lot easier to use 2 point perspective instead.
>>
>>2285116
this
>>2285117

And that exaggerated three point is god awful looking in the first place so there's no reason you should even bother doing that shit.
>>
See, this is why it's important to learn up to 5 point. That way you can understand benefits of all five. And from that you can even interchange perspectives without anyone knowing.

1pt - use for basic layouts of interiors or to quickly show depth without much effort.
2pt - use to show two sides of an object. Good for interiors and decent for exteriors. Good for showing more information while not being dramatic.
3pt - most natural even at the slighest tilt. Use dramatically to show extreme convergence. Use slightly for a 'natural' viewing angle. Good for dramatizing objects..."beauty shots"
4pt- Otherwise known as infinite-point perspective. In this view, you can see all sides of an object. Used to show multiple events in a room or outside. It's really confusing, unfortunately.
5pt - basically your fish-eye lens. Used to draw your viewer into the piece. You get the best of 3pt and 1pt allowing for anything you can imagine. Good for illustrations with a lot going on...you wouldn't draw a car design in 5pt.
>>
>>2285112
See
>>2285198
>use slightly for a 'natural' viewing angle.
>most natural even at the slighest tilt
>>
>>2285198
What about 6pt ?
;^)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.