[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even Kim jung gi says to understand the forms of what you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: asdfasdfsdaf555.png (176 KB, 584x516) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdfsdaf555.png
176 KB, 584x516
Even Kim jung gi says to understand the forms of what you're drawing
>>
>>2283526
so did vilppu, hampton, hogarth, bammes, bridgman, ur mom and every single great artist teaching.
>>
>>2283526
I wonder what he was thinking when he drew that cube.
>>
>>2283559
a sphere :^)
>>
>>2283559
at a cube

didn't he said he puts everything in cubes, so I suppose even cubes are put in others cubes in his mind
>>
>>2283581
he just uses the cubes as an example to explain how he things, use the mindset of having things in cubes and placing them into space so they look like they're actually grounded and 3-d
>>
>>2283584
joke

>________________

you

I was trying to make an inception joke, you know, boxes in boxes and shit
>>
>>2283526
OMG EVEN KIM?????
>>
how do you learn to draw fish eye lense cubes?
is he just gud at it because he's done it so much?
are there videos of him going into more detail about his approach?
>>
>>2283526

As opposed to not understanding the forms? Why wouldn't he say that? The fuck man
>>
>>2283526
>Draw everything as if there in a box

Yeah, literally every artists implies this.
>>
>>2283526
How did KJG commit such a rookie mistake?
>>
>>2283674
??????
>>
File: KJG.jpg (158 KB, 771x714) Image search: [Google]
KJG.jpg
158 KB, 771x714
>>2284075
Not him but presumably he is referring to the fact that the lines don't recede to the vanishing points properly. Or he's just trying to troll.

FWIW I think the drawing is fine even if it isn't "correct" when you plot it out.
>>
>>2284090
Captain Obvious strikes back
>>
>>2284090
to be fair, he did this free hand but he's mentioned that he never got 'point perspective' in school and just drew based on how he sees things. Coincidentally KJG doesn't believe in straight/parallel lines either so you can see how those two are actually related.
>>
>>2283674
>thinking it's a rookie mistake
>rookie can't into approximating perspective freehand.

I pretty much expected this shit from /ic/ anyways.
>>
>>2284090
There are 2 cubes - one for the head, the other for the body
>>
File: box.png (178 KB, 579x517) Image search: [Google]
box.png
178 KB, 579x517
>>2283674
The box does the job of explaining how he things about drawing. The box doens't need to be perfect to get the point across
>>
>>2283674
he draws with a warp intentionally, like a fish eye point perspective, its a style choice. one he can make, because you know..master and all.
>>
>>2284435
I actually couldn't see it this way before your post, thanks. Now it's less bizarre.
>>
>>2284446
yeah i saw the warped box at first too
>>
is the proper way to break down form making everything out as a primitive with proper perspective? because i can't imagine what that would be like for stuff like jaws being all faceted with rectangles and shit, while paying attention to the vanishing point and making lines converge to it. i mean how?
>>
>>2284628
Vilppu says perspective isn't a problem for an artist who understand perspective and anatomy isn't a problem for an artist that knows anatomy.

under any other circumstance KJG wouldn't strain on perspective, he's internalized it, and can approximate it, and feel the volume of things he's drawing. Plebs see flat shapes, and can't into space on a canvas.
>>
>>2284634
right now i just practice gesture sketching to get the fundamental contours and silhouettes of human figures down to the point that i can do so without much thought. at what point should i pay attention to anatomical landmarks and perspective?
>>
Are you guys really this impressed at a guy who understands form and can draw from imagination? I mean, he's not unique in this respect at all.
>>
>>2284628
Well yes that's what you need to do. But you dont have to be anal about it. But everything is a volume
>>
>>2284640
and by "you guys" you mean the global artistic community? He's been invited by major schools and studios all over Europe and America to basically draw on a wall and talk for the past 3 years. That's not very common since those communities are usually pretty inclusive, not to mention that he only speaks Korean and isn't "classically trained", . So considering that in a post-youtube world, these groups are paying money to have him be there might mean there's something of merit.
>>
>>2284446
>>2284619
How the fuck did you guys see it? I can only see it the proper way.
>>
>>2284714
I assume they saw it as a perfect cube that's been skewed like shit or something.
>>
File: 1447402523344.png (172 KB, 584x516) Image search: [Google]
1447402523344.png
172 KB, 584x516
>>2284714
>>2284743
some weird illusion shit
>>
>>2283657
practice 5 point perspective
>>
>>2284435
>>2284756
I was tricked by the illusion as well. I must train harder!
>>
>>2285014
what illusion are you guys talking about? I can only see it like this>>2284756
>>
>>2285179
Maybe they're talking about how the top plane looks like it is coming forward. Yet it connects to the bottom plane which is receding. It's some M.C. Escher style shit. Makes me feel like I'm going cross eyed when I force myself to see it like that.
>>
File: simple01.jpg (35 KB, 584x516) Image search: [Google]
simple01.jpg
35 KB, 584x516
>>2285179
that's not right.

here's a simplified version
>>
File: padawan.jpg (110 KB, 466x606) Image search: [Google]
padawan.jpg
110 KB, 466x606
comic sans
>>
>>2284181
>straight/parallel
huh?
>>
>all of /ic/ trying to feel better about themselves by nitpicking over the perspective of a box clearly drawn to make a point

kimg jung gi is finished
FINISHED
I
N
I
S
H
E
D
>>
>>2285214
Your brain is defective if you think that's right
>>
>>2285218
He's gay.
>>
>>2285222
>>2285214
hes not saying he thinks thats the right way. thats the illusion we were seeing.
>>
>>2285214
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it creates this illusion because the top plane is drawn incorrectly? Instead of tapering to the right, it gets thicker instead.

>>2285220
I think it's a wonderful learning experience, actually.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.