[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm reading Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: blindcontour2.jpg (432 KB, 1143x1537) Image search: [Google]
blindcontour2.jpg
432 KB, 1143x1537
I'm reading Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain, and it keeps telling me to do a blind contour line drawing for half an hour. Thing is, I feel pretty much done with the things in 5-10 minutes, and they look pretty similar to the models, am I doing something wrong by not paying proper attention or am I just particularly speedy at the exercise?
>>
>>2283466
Are you suppost do those blindfolded?
>>
>>2283494
>blind contour line drawing
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blind+contour+line+drawing
>>
Blind contour drawing is completely useless. I had a teacher for lifedrawing who had the betty edwards psuedoscience book and she had us just do blind contour for more than half the duration of the two hour sessions every fucking time. Completely useless!
>>
>>2283499
while I'll agree a good chunk of drawing on the right side of the brain is pseudo-science, I think it's a little reductive to think of it as a completely useless exercise.
>>
>>2283503

It is only good as a mechanical warmup (but drawing circles or ellipses is plenty good for that as well). If you're not a total complete symbol drawing beginner scrub then don't bother.
>>
>>2283504
alright, well I still wanna work through most excercises in DotRSotB but I'll skip this bit.
>>
its meant to help you concentrate and focus in how you're looking and perceiving you're subjects. try maybe working bigger 18"x 24" /using micron/a bunch of objects overlapping. Or do faces/bodies, get a mirror and just stare at your face for awhile.
>>
Blind contour isn't a drawing exercise. Punnily enough, it's a seeing exercise. Getting the seeing part down is a really important part of fundamentals. But if you feel that you got it down, move on.
Also don't get tied down by your book. Don't do anything you feel is too advanced or elementary for you. There's nothing worse than wasteful practice.
>>
>>2283499
>she
Found your problem.
>>
>>2283518
this person puts it better than me, I can't word right
>>
File: 1400310675851.jpg (353 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1400310675851.jpg
353 KB, 1280x960
>>2283466
Blind contour isn't something that develops your skills over time. It's just a method that lets your understand the difference between symbol drawing and actual drawing. Once you understand this concept, then blind contour drawings aren't really useful for you any more. Good luck learning to draw, and keep it up!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.