[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the point of 2D animation when 3D can look even better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1439433540881.jpg (274 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1439433540881.jpg
274 KB, 800x800
what's the point of 2D animation when 3D can look even better?
>>
>>2279454
What's the point of making a bait threat when you can fool nobody?
>>
>>2279454
Is this bait? 2D and 3D each have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither is "better" than the other since they excel at different things and a lot of it in the end is subjective.
>>
>>2279454
Because 3D needs a much bigger budget to look good. The few times you see tv anime use 3D animation, it ends up looking like cheap cutscenes out of a PS3 anime game. Which is why only big companies like Paramount, Sony, Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks have ever created any worthwhile 3D animations.
>>
3D animation = puppetry.
Riggers make a rig and animators pull the strings. It's totally different from 2D.
They both have their place and can coexist.
>>
>>2279480
This. Personally I think hand drawn 2d animation is best for characters and 3D is great for environments, vehicles and inanimate objects..As a simple example Gravity Falls uses 3D vehicles most of the time and it's pretty seemless with the 2D. It looks good.
>>
>>2279507
I'm pretty disappointed that mecha is never hand drawn anymore though.
>>
>>2279454
3D is boring to make
>>
>>2279454
The same reason people draw and paint when physical and digital sculpture exist as well as photography.
>>
>>2279520
I agree to be honest, family. I don't really like the look of 3D that much even though it's understandable that it would be used for such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxahwxY_5jg
>>
>>2279454
>what's the point of 2D animation when 3D can look even better?
Define "better." Visually? I find a lot of the appeal tends to be lost in the transition from 2D to 3D, even on high budget productions like Disney movies. The sketches for movies like Wreck-it-Ralph and Frozen have way more character than the final movie, and I don't feel either are on par with the finest works of the company even in terms of animation alone. But, opinions.

There are things 3D does better, like moving backgrounds which have always been something you don't see a lot in 2D animation, and allows for a lot more camera freedom in general and scene shot in a way that would be impractical or time consuming in 2D. Even so, I think stuff like Ernest and Celestine and the Secret of Kells is way better than Disney's latest offerings despite that limitation.
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 400x400
>>
>>2279480
2D animation = also puppetry

toonboom and adobe flash said hi.
tvpaint just looked away
>>
>>2281747
2D animation sometimes = puppetry.
And it's usually hated.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.