[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this mostly brush pen and watercolors? touched up digitally?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10
is this mostly brush pen and watercolors? touched up digitally? I know Yoji Shinkawa mostly brush pens for his conceptual and I'd shamelessly love to mimic his style.
>>
File: tumblr_mub0jrcQqX1syb85xo1_400.jpg (33 KB, 340x526) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mub0jrcQqX1syb85xo1_400.jpg
33 KB, 340x526
I too would like to know this. The man is a god.
>>
>>2278957
Probably. The linework is obviously brushpen, and the structures in the backgrounds are either watercolor or diluted ink. The color on Raiden is probably digital, though - the edges are crsiper than the ink or the backgrounds structures, and the way the colors graduate would be very hard if not impossible with watercolors.
>>
jesus this is captivating.

How can i paint like this?
>>
File: 053.jpg (2 MB, 2400x3510) Image search: [Google]
053.jpg
2 MB, 2400x3510
looks like he uses corel painter.
>>
>>2278957
> I'd shamelessly love to mimic his style.
Then why not just do it? The type of brush pen or program doesn't make a damn of difference. The guy first learned how to draw correctly and then spent years perfecting his style.

It's called, p-r-a-c-t-i-c-e. Have at it.
>>
>>2278957
I linked to a brief interview he did the last time his name came up, you can probably find it the archive if you search for his name. As far as I know, he uses a brush pen and white-out pen (for highlights) and colors digitally.
>>
File: prelim sketches export.png (910 KB, 1920x1050) Image search: [Google]
prelim sketches export.png
910 KB, 1920x1050
I had a go.

This is the first time ive painted for like my entire life - i used some pirated software and my brothers art tablet. Normally i just do pretentious collages, sculptures and other physical art.

Its really fun, even if it is shit, lol
>>
>>2279593
You should probably learn basic drawing before trying whatever it is you just tried.
>>
File: 6ZLX8ig.jpg (188 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
6ZLX8ig.jpg
188 KB, 500x750
>>2279594

hah!

i dont care man, its really fun!

im not drawing this for any competition or anything. That said, i would love to hear some constructive criticism!
>>
File: molotow-pentel.jpg (36 KB, 516x321) Image search: [Google]
molotow-pentel.jpg
36 KB, 516x321
>>2279593
Those are good, but you won't be able to imitate the chaos of a brush pen with software. I'd recommend trying out Pentel's brush pen and if you want to add little details like in the second picture of this thread, you can buy a Molotow white marker (or just any white acryllic marker, like Posca)
In this style, the lineart is the most important part, so focus on that first instead of coloring.
>>
>>2278957
Is it bad that I think he's a decent artist, but definitely overrated ? his stuff is beautiful, but not that complex.
>>
>>2279600

awesome, thanks!
>>
>>2279601
>implying that complexity is necessary to be good
>>
>>2279609
I said that it was literally 3 words before. I just don't understand the god status he has on /ic/ recently, he's been popping up everywhere. his faces are animu tier, what's only good is the mix between the brushwork/background/color. And it's all enforced by the metal gear theme and the characters.
>>
>>2279599
There's little to critique. The most constructive criticism you're going to get is that you don't understand how to draw, and the best advice you're going to get is to learn how to draw. I'm not putting you down, and by all means do whatever you want to have fun.

>>2279600
I've only ever seen him use a white-out pen.

>>2279601
I hardly ever hear him mentioned when people talk about their favorite artists, let alone concept artists. I wouldn't call him overrated.
>>
>>2279621

So, when you say "learn to draw", what do you mean?

Do I learn to draw by just drawing loads of shit for fun, do i learn by watching step-by-step tutorials, do i learn by doing certain exercises etc etc?
>>
>>2279625
it means git gud
>>
File: me_irl13.jpg (13 KB, 480x247) Image search: [Google]
me_irl13.jpg
13 KB, 480x247
>>2279630
>>
>>2279625
The first link in the sticky is a good place to start. There's no one right way to learn to draw, but a book like Keys to Drawing or Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain will give you exercises to work through and a basic curriculum to follow. I'd pick one of those, do the exercises, and then apply what you've learned to the drawings you do for fun. I'd avoid "how to draw"-style tutorials (i.e. "How to Draw an Eye") and mindlessly drawing things for fun.

With a basic curriculum in mind and focused practice you can improve a lot in a short time. See pages 18-20 in "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", which is easy to find, for an example of what 5 days of real practice can do for you.
>>
>>2279620
>I just don't understand the god status he has on /ic/ recently, he's been popping up everywhere. his faces are animu tier.
>anime
wheredoyouthinkyouare.
I know he's not a god or super incredibly talented, people just have a hard on for metal gear in general and it helps it has a really cool unique art style to go with it so there's a carry over.
>>
also I'll upload some pictures with some standard pencils and pens of my mimicking his art style for fun later.
>>
File: 5_days_of_improvement.png (497 KB, 741x843) Image search: [Google]
5_days_of_improvement.png
497 KB, 741x843
>>2279639
Here's some examples from people who took a 5-day drawing course.
>>
>>2279650
Darci Park got worse
>>
>>2279650

Thats really cool to see, darci especially is killin' it.

Is the idea that i have to be able to draw properly before trying to do simpler line drawings like Yoji?
>>
>>2279661
It's the best starting point I can think of. He has a lot of experience and went to a good school.
>>
>>2279650
Initial improvement may come fast but the drawings are still flawed and have a lot of errors covered up by tonal shading. Once you get past a certain initial level progress it becomes increasingly slower as you have to become more detailed and precise.

Your post doesn't really prove someone can get gud quickly. None of those artists are at Yoji's level. Where are the images showing how long it takes to get from day 5 level to Yoji level? I can assure you it's far longer than 5 days. Plus the teacher at that class was probably spending those 5 days specifically teaching people how to draw that head, there is a shit ton more to learn.

>>2279661
No one said you have to be perfect before you try, but it'll look a hell of a lot better if you are. Drawing like Yoji won't improve your skills to his level only drawing from life will. Your stuff will always look like poo until you improve.
>>
>>2279599
I like you.
>>
>>2278957

is there a name for this style?
>>
>>2280308
yeah, it's called "Yoji Shinkawa's"

if there is a proper term, it's certainly unique.
>>
File: tumblr_mai6txvrn41qzlpr4o1_1280.jpg (462 KB, 1280x1845) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mai6txvrn41qzlpr4o1_1280.jpg
462 KB, 1280x1845
God I love the way his characters blend into the background and each other

fantastic
>>
just ordered the mgs art book on amazon

man i love this guy
>>
>>2279661
Yeah he omits details but what's there makes sense with what should be there.
If you dont know what should be there, it'll look like shit.
>>
>>2278957
>>2278960
Are there any other artists who have a similar style? People who do gritty looking lineart or flowing lines, stuff like that? I'm trying to make an influence map.
>>
>>2282030
I'm not that familiar with comic stuff, but Nemiri comes to mind. Maybe some of Ashley Wood's stuff to?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gJQyVfKZJg If anyone wants to take a look how he is drawing (I mean he did it lots of timest so he is fast and knows what he's doing but there is a look at his sketchbook)

Sean Philips has this inky-brushy vibe but it goes noir way, and not really Yoji's way.
Bill Sienkiewicz (rushy, scratchy drawing style)
Ashley Wood maybe? He was doing MGS graphic novel. Jason Shawn Alexander? Greg Ruth? They are not as stylised but they have this edginess in drawing. Kent Williams maybe?
>>
>>2282053
>>2282061
Tough decision because their work is all pretty amazing, I think Jason S.A. is mainly what I was looking for though. It's mostly open, not a lot of rendering just black areas and lines. Thanks guys, I wanted some more non-japanese artists, I was kind of filling it up with a lot of manga artists. I have 6 people so I guess that's enough for right now, although I'll definitely check them out if you or anyone lists more. Thanks again, this has been super helpful.
>>
Glad it helped you mate. In my last post I forgot the most obvious one probably - Jock. Edgy, rough, dynamic, aggressive lines. He does covers plus comic books (Wytches horror one, or Losers the more action one plus a great sets of covers on Scalped)
>>
>>2282071
Maybe Yoshitaka Amano's inks too? I like them a lot, but I'm not sure how many are online. There's a lot in Coffin: The Art of Vampire Hunter D.
>>
>>2282076
Oh shit, he drew that Joker pic I love. I have a friend who has that shit on a shirt, I wanna punch him and steal it every time I see him. Definitely added to the list.
>>2282078
I love Amano, I'll keep him in my heart while I draw, but I think it's a little softer than I want to aim for. I should look up some of that Castlevania chick's work though.
>>
Takehiko Inoue for great inkwork, looks a lot tighter though.
>>
>>2279894
I'd sure as hell love to take that 5 day drawing course!
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.