[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone knows the style of this type of painting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Syd-Mead4.jpg (298 KB, 1600x751) Image search: [Google]
Syd-Mead4.jpg
298 KB, 1600x751
Anyone knows the style of this type of painting?
>>
>>2276314
illustration often used for commercial concept art with influences from photo-realism? don't know that this has a name.
>>
>>2276314
It's sort of commercial illustration from roughly 50's through 80's. They were done in gouache and had that flat matte look. A lot of car ads and just ads in general had similar aesthetics.
>>
Probabl retro-futurism. His other stuff is.
>>
File: 3025626911_ab4e7d82b2_o.jpg (261 KB, 800x960) Image search: [Google]
3025626911_ab4e7d82b2_o.jpg
261 KB, 800x960
>>
File: 1446185612689.jpg (133 KB, 1280x698) Image search: [Google]
1446185612689.jpg
133 KB, 1280x698
>>2276320
>>2276322

Know the style? I really like these works but have a hard time trying to find similar art by name.
>>
>>2276327
Try searching up on the artists of the pieces you like. So Syd Mead in your initial post, he has done hundreds of paintings.

People you can look up: Robert Fawcett, Robert McGinnis, Albert Dorne, Bernie Fuchs, John Berkey.
>>
>>2276314
Oh man, the perspective on that car is jank. wtf is going on with that gull-wing? For the sake of my sanity I'm going to ignore the head- and taillights on the sides of the vehicle. I guess the turn signal lights are on the front?
>>
>>2276327
I don't think Edward Hopper's work fits the rest, but he's generally considered a member of the Ashcan School along with artists like George Bellows.
>>
File: amdream.jpg (15 KB, 297x170) Image search: [Google]
amdream.jpg
15 KB, 297x170
>>
>>2276314
It's illustration or, when considering the artwork seperately from what it's designed to illustrate, "Illustration Art".

Stylistically this is (simply) Realism, with a '50s retro futurist aestethic
>>
>>2276329

Thx m8
>>
>>2276333
How is the perspective off? Looks fine to me. And Syd's drawn more cars and perspective heavy images than pretty much anyone on the planet. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing.
>>
>>2276333

you don't know what you are talking about
>>
>>2276333
I think the gull wing looks odd because it's slanted. Look at the near one - it's not just straight up and down, it's on an angle relative the the up/down axis of the car. Likewise, it's also flaring outwards at the same time, which you can see on the raised door. I can see how you'd think it looks janky though.

As for the taillights, I've seen similar ones on old Cadillacs. Pic related.

I don't know a lot about automotive design, but a cursory google search leads me to believe to lights up front are meant to be cornering lights.
>On some models, white "cornering lamps" provide extra lateral illumination in the direction of an intended turn or lane change. These are actuated in conjunction with the turn signals, though they burn steadily, and they may also be wired to illuminate when the vehicle is shifted into reverse gear,[18] as is done on many Saabs and Corvettes. Modern vehicles such as the Audi S8 may activate the cornering lights when the steering wheel input reaches a threshold angle, determined by the manufacturer, regardless of whether a directional signal has been activated.
>>
Rockwell. Forgot the name. Not sam /the actor. Look for mid 40's pin up girls. Matte painting. As technique.
>>
>>2276333

lol this fucking kid
>>
>>2276314
Retro future
>>
>>2276314
>Syd Mead is the artist. Look him up.
He has his own take on artistic perspective which is part of his style.
>>
>white
>blue
>red
Subtle propaganda
>>
ugly ugly ugly
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.